*****Official Rangers vs Shkupi match thread*****

22 minutes ago, broxi555 said:

McGregor - not tested

Tav - our best attacker and worst defender

Flannigan - not a left back - change to right back and move Tav forward which would also strengthen the defense get that to fuck

Goldson - again not tested

Katic - again not tested

McCrorie - defensive mid fielder only

Arfield - fair game but to slow for attacking mid fielder

Windass - should have done better with a couple of headers (at least he was there) shite

Candeias - crossing could be better but a hard worker

Morelos - absolute pish

Murphy - not productive enough wat :lol:

Liked the 3 subs

one other criticism there seemed to be no plans for taking/attacking corner kicks

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Hopefully the board learn from their mistakes after our last European outing.

Midfield to front we are absolutely horrendous. Not helped by the substitutions - Jack and McCrorie in a 3 man midfield is mind boggling. 

Only to be trumped by leaving Windass on for so long. I honestly hope that clown never puts on a Rangers jersey again.

Major investment is still needed and hopefully Gerrard learns from his mistakes. Also, fingers crossed for these two new loanees. Can't be any worse than what we have. 

Agree 100%.

We were dire tonight it was a tough watch. Without the penalty it was a carbon copy of Progres last season at home.

The left hand side with Flanagan and Murphy is far too predictable. Both cutting onto their right feet all the time slowing play and cramping space. Flanagan in general looks really poor.

Windass was terrible. I think he is decent enough through the middle, he does make a lot of great attacking runs there and scores goals, but he hides a lot and out wide it is so noticeable. It really makes you notice his bad traits out there.

The other thing that really worries me is that apart from Middleton tonight players are too scared to take responsibility for fear of making a mistake. You can’t be like that at Ibrox at all and it is a mental thing that you either have or you don’t. Still unsure if the majority of our players have it.

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

McGregor -Nothing to do.

Tav - Energetic going forward as always

Flannigan - Solid and aggressive. Did well.

Goldson - Comfortable. Looked solid. Crap distribution at times.

Katic - Comfortable. Looked solid

McCrorie - Quite clever. Did some good, aggressive destructive work

Arfield - Poor. Stray passes and didn't contribute much

Windass - Got into great positions but lacked quality to take advantage of them

Candeias - Tried to be energetic and combative but didn't really succeed. Offered little in a forward going sense.

Morelos - Too slow in the box. Didn't offer himself enough. Was taking up the wrong positions at times. The offside at the start of the second half was lazy and negligent as fuck, learn to pay fucking attention!!!

Murphy - Quite dangerous and our best forward

Need to get some of the new midfield/forward players up and running and get Windass, Jack and so on further from the starting 11. Early days to make too many conclusions. Can't be anywhere near the required fitness. Decent result in the circumstances, but much to do to look like a capable outfit.

Pretty much spot on. I went along tonight hoping to see the good Morelos we saw at times last season, but instead it was the lazy version who fails to take up good positions,  and looks as if he is going to need far too many chances before he scores. Unless he starts to make rapid progress, we simply can't afford to play this guy in games that matter, and signing a replacement must be a major priority. 

3 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

You seem new to football if you think windass & morelos weren't our two worst players tonight.    

Nobody was particularly impressive but we're still technically in pre-season. There's a lot of posters on here tonight who should be embarrassed by their overreaction.

First official match of a 4 year term, I wouldnt get into a panic over a sticky performance this early on.

Tonight reminded me of a typical Euro qualifier with Walter, like the 1-0 against Famagusta.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Agree 100%.

We were dire tonight it was a tough watch. Without the penalty it was a carbon copy of Progres last season at home.

The left hand side with Flanagan and Murphy is far too predictable. Both cutting onto their right feet all the time slowing play and cramping space. Flanagan in general looks really poor.

Windass was terrible. I think he is decent enough through the middle, he does make a lot of great attacking runs there and scores goals, but he hides a lot and out wide it is so noticeable. It really makes you notice his bad traits out there.

The other thing that really worries me is that apart from Middleton tonight players are too scared to take responsibility for fear of making a mistake. You can’t be like that at Ibrox at all and it is a mental thing that you either have or you don’t. Still unsure if the majority of our players have it.

Saw the game exactly the same as myself and everyone else around me tonight.

I said to the boy beside me 30 minutes in this was another Progress and he laughed. Yet agreed 15 minutes into the second half.

We were very lucky tonight because we were woeful. Doesn't bode well at all. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Nobody was particularly impressive but we're still technically in pre-season. There's a lot of posters on here tonight who should be embarrassed by their overreaction.

Its not an overreaction but morelos is a terrible finisher and is not a Rangers number 9.  

3 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Saw the game exactly the same as myself and everyone else around me tonight.

I said to the boy beside me 30 minutes in this was another Progress and he laughed. Yet agreed 15 minutes into the second half.

We were very lucky tonight because we were woeful. Doesn't bode well at all. 

I’m really baffled too as to why we have signed the boy from Angers. 

We shouldn’t be playing two guys like Jack and McCrorie together in a midfield three so having another of that ilk is pointless. 

Crying out for a creative midfielder that isn’t needing a hip replacement.

We looked solid enough at the back but so limited going foward. It was back to side to side passing and no end product.

I do think this won't be the final team come the start of the league. Badly needing quailty foward and midfield playmaker. 

1 hour ago, shaka said:

But the Ejaria one and even the pull back onMiddleton could've been a penalty and the shirt pulling on Morelos was a definite penalty.

None of them were penalties imo. Morelos maybe but would have been soft. Don't think you can complain about ref not doing us any favours in that match when we should have been leaving with only a 1-0 win probably.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

We shouldn’t be playing two guys like Jack and McCrorie together in a midfield three so having another of that ilk is pointless. 

Jack is a Dundee standard player. I hope he enjoyed tonight because he won't be playing much this season. 

15 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Agree 100%.

Agree about Flannigan, he looks cumbersome and gave us no threat going forward which DJ does.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

If he's better quality than Jack then it makes sense. Jack isn't good enough. We definitely need the kind of player that Gerrard says Coulibally is.

1 minute ago, gsa said:

Jack is a Dundee standard player. I hope he enjoyed tonight because he won't be playing much this season. 

I'd have said Hearts or Aberdeen, personally.

1 minute ago, gsa said:

Bit of a stupid thing to say considering he's already proven to be one of the top players at a club like Aberdeen, of which we don't need to be reminded that they finished above us 2 years in a row now. Not saying he's good enough for us or not but saying he's Dundee standard makes less than no sense. 

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

Agree about Flannigan, he looks cumbersome and gave us no threat going forward which DJ does.

Can't see Gerrard being interested in having a fullback as physically small as DJ as first choice.

I thought Flanagan did well.

We have to remember as well for all of these players that it's a first game after very little pre-season action.

4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Boy from Angers will be competition for McCrorie I think

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

He doesn’t really look like he has a footballers brain.

What was with running way out of position and halfing that guy from behind towards the end? Made no sense. Looked like he was lucky to not get booked from where I sit.

Just watched the game on TV, a tense and often poor performance. Team revamps and early european matches simply do not mix.

I didn't see the Bury game, but I am guessing they were more open than this tightly organised team. As SG said, no better than "satisfactory with work to be done".

All about the result tonight not the performance. I'm not too disappointed as I actually thought that mob looked organised, fitter than us and it was rather difficult to break them down. They moved the ball well at times but never posed a danger in our half which is a major positive for me.

Sure I would have liked to have seen more fluency but we did create a number of chances and with better finishing should have been at least 3 clear.......2-0 sees this game in the bag. Sckupi played with 10 behind the ball and there is no way they can play as negatively again.

I take the positives out of tonight as I can appreciate it is difficult trying to break down such negative tactics with 10 behind the ball.

Hope we go with John at LB as thst is an area I felt we really lacked any purpose as Flannigan offered little in an attacking sense but hey 2-0 sees us through against a well disciplined team who can play a pass or two.

Archived