*****Official Rangers vs Shkupi match thread*****

Just now, K.A.I said:

I like Flanagan but I don't like players playing out of position. 

I'd honestly put Flanagan in ahead of Tav - he's never a captain.

Ideally we'd play a back 3 though and have a 4 or 5 man organised, tidy, overbaring midfield with balance.

its evident flanagan is a decent player. I'm with you on players out of position, for a club with our budget it's criminal the amount of times we have players in the wrong position. 

I fancy 3 at the back myself I'm on board with that. 

don't have me agreeing with you again 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

its evident flanagan is a decent player. I'm with you on players out of position, for a club with our budget it's criminal the amount of times we have players in the wrong position. 

I fancy 3 at the back myself I'm on board with that. 

don't have me agreeing with you again 

The problem is too for how many years and different managers have we not really had that settled, first choice XI where we knew our strongest team?

Like for instance you could more or less guess what teams Smith, Advocaat, McLeish would stick out every week when we were successful.

You look at all the teams we've put out since Smith left and the majority of the XI could easily be dropped the next week for being shite and no-one would really care and they'd be replaced with someone equally as shite, then a couple of games later the team might change again.

The tarriers first XI more or less picks itself if fully fit depending on if Rogers wants to go 2 up or 1 up and which combination he fancies. 

We don't have that settled team and never will when we keep neglecting key areas and failing to spend money going with loans and trying to recruit cheapies.

Mark Allan, Gerrard, Dave King and Stewart Robertson really need to step into the real world and fast here.

If Gerrard doesn't sign an attacking/creative midfielder and a striker, both with a bit of quality before the end of the window then we are in trouble.

Arfield, McCrorie, Jack, Docherty and from what im reading of him Coulibaly are ALL similar type, defensive minded midfielders.  I lost count the number of times the midfield three either knocked the ball side to side or back to one of the defenders.  We need someone with a bit of quality who can control the game and link the midfield to the forward players, with that killer pass.

Far too often Murphy and Windass were spread wide and Morelos was left isolated because neither Arfield or McCrorie made any effort to support him.  The two centre backs aside (both look quality) the signings thus far seem to be more quantity rather than quality, and unless that changes we wont be capable of challenging.

The performace was far from great but realistically it's only our second game. The new players will take time to settle and we still have additions to add to the squad.   Tavs positional sense defensively was again ropey at best but I'm hoping we switch to a 3 at the back to allow him to sit in more of an attacking role. Middleton was the stand out yet again. Asking for the ball constantly and willing to take on the full back. 

Glad we got the second goal, and think we'll definitely score over there because they'll have to attack, and on that showing, they certainty didn't have the quality to score 4 into us!

The dogs bark and the caravan keeps rolling.

On 13/07/2018 at 17:05, BlueMe said:

Glad we got the second goal, and think we'll definitely score over there because they'll have to attack, and on that showing, they certainty didn't have the quality to score 4 into us!

The dogs bark and the caravan keeps rolling.

I think we will score too. It won't be easy though as their keeper had a good game on Thursday and made some excellent saves. Their MOTM IMO.

33 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I think we will score too. It won't be easy though as their keeper had a good game on Thursday and made some excellent saves. Their MOTM IMO.

Aye he made a couple of big saves, their wee leftback looked no bad aswell. 

1 minute ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

He had a rapid turn of pace and played well. Windass floored him at one stage. Big bully!

I think we'll be a bit tighter at the back this time. He had loads of space to run into when tav was getting forward.

We might even play a 5 at the back with Flanagan going in one and John playing leftback.

14 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

I think we'll be a bit tighter at the back this time. He had loads of space to run into when tav was getting forward.

We might even play a 5 at the back with Flanagan going in one and John playing leftback.

If we don't play 5 at the back Tavs has to focus on defending. Don't want to give them a chance to score and get back into it. Saying that they have no choice but to attack which should leave them vulnerable at the back. Our finishing has to be better though.

3 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This place astounds me. Our best player and easily best player in midweek is getting slated when he created chance after chance and people want to drop him for Flanagan? Fucking hell ?

I really hope this growing selection of our fans don't get their wish as they will soon come to realise how important Tav is to us. Our most creative player! 

Been our most creative player since he arrived here and that's a sad indictment on the rest of the squad. He's always going to get caught out at the back because he has to do the job of the attacking players as well as his own and can't be in two places at once.

4 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This place astounds me. Our best player and easily best player in midweek is getting slated when he created chance after chance and people want to drop him for Flanagan? Fucking hell ?

I really hope this growing selection of our fans don't get their wish as they will soon come to realise how important Tav is to us. Our most creative player! 

To be fair Tavs lost possession repeatedly and left a huge gap in defence on several occasions on Thursday. A better team would have taken advantage. Wasn't my motm either.

Gerrard should tell him to concentrate on defending on the away leg or their wee left back could cause us problems again.

They may not be a great team but they have an international striker who scores regularly and our last away jaunt abroad was a nightmare .

8 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

To be fair Tavs lost possession repeatedly and left a huge gap in defence on several occasions on Thursday. A better team would have taken advantage. Wasn't my motm either.

Gerrard should tell him to concentrate on defending on the away leg or their wee left back could cause us problems again.

They may not be a great team but they have an international striker who scores regularly and our last away jaunt abroad was a nightmare .

That wee No 15 was, in my opinion, the best player on the park - if we can shackle him on Tuesday we have a great chance of getting through with a 2 or 3 nil win on Tuesday. 

19 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

That wee No 15 was, in my opinion, the best player on the park - if we can shackle him on Tuesday we have a great chance of getting through with a 2 or 3 nil win on Tuesday. 

I think their keeper was their best player imo. His reaction saves were very good. The wee man is definitely one to watch though, he ran the wing like the Roadrunner at times unmarked. Was very worrying to watch as a Bear. If their manager has any sense he will tell the team to feed him the ball.

1 hour ago, GlasgowsBlue said:

Docherty is not a defensive player don't know where this came from. We signed him from Hamilton when he had the most assists in the league apart from us and them

Being a creative midfielder for Hamilton then turning it on for Rangers is a huge step mate. I think he needs to learn his trade with us before he has any chance of being a box to box midfielder.

I like Docherty, he is athletic and plays with passion but one step at a time.I think he will be one for the future but throwing him in at the deep end is likely to backfire. Stevie -G has already said he will let youngsters shine but not to their long term detriment. Opportunities will come but rolling the dice on a young man's early career is irresponsible management.

Archived