*****Official Rangers vs Shkupi match thread*****

4 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

It was the shittest déjà vu ever for most the match!

Totally agree with that, a re-run of last season written all over it, as for Morelos, deary me son, just put the ball in the net ffs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyone is just deflated because they expected a total change from last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately too many players from previous regimes still on the pitch and one is even captain. Slightly worrying going forward. 

I'd almost managed to forget how much I dislike "Tav" and  "Josh". Murphy still manages to turn people inside out but isn't quick enough to get away and his crossing is abject. Ryan Jack should play for Nairn County. Kevin Thomson still talks about himself constantly when commentating. 

The more things change the more they stay the same.

6 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m really baffled too as to why we have signed the boy from Angers. 

We shouldn’t be playing two guys like Jack and McCrorie together in a midfield three so having another of that ilk is pointless. 

Crying out for a creative midfielder that isn’t needing a hip replacement.

Lad from Angers is seemingly athletic, strong and quick , I think he’ll play , mcrorrie will be in and out and jack won’t feature at all when it all settles down 

4 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Bit of a stupid thing to say considering he's already proven to be one of the top players at a club like Aberdeen, of which we don't need to be reminded that they finished above us 2 years in a row now. Not saying he's good enough for us or not but saying he's Dundee standard makes less than no sense. 

Shut up. He's rubbish. 

Just now, Teamgers said:

Totally agree with that, a re-run of last season written all over it, as for Morelos, deary me son, just put the ball in the net ffs.

Last week I was shocked when he scored a header from point blank against Bury, this week it was back to the same old. Frustrating as fuck sometimes :lol:

2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Lad from Angers is seemingly athletic, strong and quick , I think he’ll play , mcrorrie will be in and out and jack won’t feature at all when it all settles down 

Hopefully it’s only one of the three of them then on the team sheet if it’s a 4-3-3.

Watching two ball winners in that formation will have me drinking paint stripper by season end.

2 minutes ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Its not an overreaction but morelos is a terrible finisher and is not a Rangers number 9.  

Mate that word in itself is an overreaction. How can you be a terrible finisher when you're the 2nd top goalscorer in the league last season behind the SPL's all time top goal-scorer? He's a reasonable finisher (a better than 1 in 2 suggests that) but I agree he definitely needs to improve to get to the next level in his career. He's still young and in all honesty had a fantastic season for a young South American on his debut season in Scotland. Name one who has even came close to doing better.

I'm hopeful that with a new manager and new training methods he will get to that next level in terms of finishing.

When I said some should be embarrassed by their overreaction I meant that they are drawing conclusions on players/the team based on our first game of the season which, may I remind them, is in the early part of JULY.

When a team is well organised and sits in deep with 10 men behind the ball it can always be very difficult, especially in our situation (1st game, half new team, new management). Even for the biggest & best teams in the world.

We certainly weren't awful. Had most possession, dealt with any threat and should have scored more. Became lethargic in possession and gradually the tempo got slower. To be expected in football matches at the start of July. Its going to be similar on Tuesday, quick turnaround & playing in 30 degree heat, it'll be a massive test for the fitness. 

Anyone who comes away from it shouting we're awful or this season is going to be a disaster honestly doesny have a fuckin clue about football. Go watch cricket. 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Hopefully it’s only one of the three of them then on the team sheet if it’s a 4-3-3.

Watching two ball winners in that formation will have me drinking paint stripper by season end.

Agree , I’ve had a gutfull of watching our midfield playing the ball 5 yards to the side all game , go try something fur fuck sake , mcrorrie was terrible for it tonight 

6 minutes ago, gsa said:

I think everyone is just deflated because they expected a total change from last couple of seasons.

Unfortunately too many players from previous regimes still on the pitch and one is even captain. Slightly worrying going forward. 

I'd almost managed to forget how much I dislike "Tav" and  "Josh". Murphy still manages to turn people inside out but isn't quick enough to get away and his crossing is abject. Ryan Jack should play for Nairn County. Kevin Thomson still talks about himself constantly when commentating. 

The more things change the more they stay the same.

? 

That has me buckled. Fair play.

But it’s truly terrifying!

3 minutes ago, Camshy said:

All about the result tonight not the performance. I'm not too disappointed as I actually thought that mob looked organised, fitter than us and it was rather difficult to break them down. They moved the ball well at times but never posed a danger in our half which is a major positive for me.

Sure I would have liked to have seen more fluency but we did create a number of chances and with better finishing should have been at least 3 clear.......2-0 sees this game in the bag. Sckupi played with 10 behind the ball and there is no way they can play as negatively again.

I take the positives out of tonight as I can appreciate it is difficult trying to break down such negative tactics with 10 behind the ball.

Hope we go with John at LB as thst is an area I felt we really lacked any purpose as Flannigan offered little in an attacking sense but hey 2-0 sees us through against a well disciplined team who can play a pass or two.

Totally agree. Flanagan doesn't seem like an upgrade on DJ who I actually liked for the most part last season. Will need to see more of Flanagan and maybe (probably) he's more solid defensively. But tonight we were playing against nobodies who we should be pumping 4 or 5 past. John would have given us a bit more going forward I think 

Just now, Cedrick said:

Agree , I’ve had a gutfull of watching our midfield playing the ball 5 yards to the side all game , go try something fur fuck sake , mcrorrie was terrible for it tonight 

Mcrorrie is a great athlete, his bursts of power to get in before people are incredible. Unfortuntly he's a very limited footballer. Doesn't see things ahead of him and even if he did, he doesn't have the ability to execute.

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

Mcrorrie is a great athlete, his bursts of power to get in before people are incredible. Unfortuntly he's a very limited footballer. Doesn't see things ahead of him and even if he did, he doesn't have the ability to execute.

Bang on 

2 minutes ago, gsa said:

In his defence at least that’s his job and he’s good at it and he knows his limitations.

But we only need one person in that position especially in Scotland. Was bizarre bringing on Jack for Arfield.

8 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

In his defence at least that’s his job and he’s good at it and he knows his limitations.

But we only need one person in that position especially in Scotland. Was bizarre bringing on Jack for Arfield.

Arfield was injured.

2 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Arfield was injured though.

15 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Mate that word in itself is an overreaction. How can you be a terrible finisher when you're the 2nd top goalscorer in the league last season behind the SPL's all time top goal-scorer? He's a reasonable finisher (a better than 1 in 2 suggests that) but I agree he definitely needs to improve to get to the next level in his career. He's still young and in all honesty had a fantastic season for a young South American on his debut season in Scotland. Name one who has even came close to doing better.

I'm hopeful that with a new manager and new training methods he will get to that next level in terms of finishing.

When I said some should be embarrassed by their overreaction I meant that they are drawing conclusions on players/the team based on our first game of the season which, may I remind them, is in the early part of JULY.

Are you confident when morelos is one on one with a keeper? He simply is-not  and will not be good enough to lead our line. 

Creative players are needed. Ejaria looked like he posses a bit of that but seemed a bit selfish to me, Murphy is almost ridiculously one footed, Arfield isn’t that type of player, Windass is Windass. 

Morelos may be useful on the right since his overall play isn’t bad and he seems to prefer shooting etc on that side, but we need a player with a track record of scoring up top.

Match sharpness is still lacking, lots of new players in the team and some of the deadwood we need to shift on. I am hopeful that we will improve and be much better than last season. We need another goal scorer and someone to unlock tight defenses.

Happy enough with the result. New players needing time to gel. Obviously match sharpness not quite there. The important thing was getting a lead going into the away leg just frustrating as should have killed the tie with the chances missed.  Few kneejerk reactions on here. Competition upfront a must a creative midfielder and right winger. We may have that in Ejara for midfield although too early to say. If alot off us can see this rest assured Gerrard will too.

Archived