How Many Rangers Players Were World Cup Winner Class ?

tannerall

15 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

That's some list of keepers. Crazy to think how many genuinely world class keepers Germany used to produce. Klos would definitely have been a pick for Germany if those guys weren t there.

They also had decent guys like Hans-Jorg Butt, Timo Hildebrand, Roman Weidenfeller, Robert Enke, and Frank Rost about in the 2000-2006 period fighting for the third spot after Kahn and Lehmann in the team.

Klos was brilliant but the Germans have always been spoiled for keepers. You have to have something really special.

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:50, James Rolle said:

Cooper, Souness, Gray, Francis, Durrant, Ian Ferguson, Wilkins, Hateley, Laudrup, Klos, Gazza, Negri, Walters, Goram, Gough, Ricksen, Albertz, Van Bronckhorst, Gattuso, Mols. 

There are probably more that could hold their own in a World Cup winning side, especially those before my time (Baxter etc.) but these legends are the obvious ones off the top of my head. 

As much as they were icons here the likes of Ricksen, Albertz and Mols wouldn't be close to starting for any world cup winning side.

None of them were even capped that much by their countries at the time they were playing.  

28 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

As much as they were icons here the likes of Ricksen, Albertz and Mols wouldn't be close to starting for any world cup winning side.

None of them were even capped that much by their countries at the time they were playing.  

Albertz was too lazy to get anywhere near a German side that to play in midfield in that era you had to be a hard runner first and foremost.

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I don't really follow international football but what sort of impact did Brian Laudrup have in Denmark's 1992 Euro's final and in their games thereafter? even though he was a class act for us domestically, he never done it for Rangers on the European stage and wasn't a big player for Bayern Munich and AC Milan before coming to us. 

He was undoubtedly one of Denmark's best players through 92 Euros to World Cup in 1998; think he was named in the Fifa dream team for France '98?

Edit: Just read that in 1993/94, when Laudrup played with Milan, they won the title scoring only 36 goals all season; so not sure that was a team that was built to utilise attacking talents. Also regarding euro performances with us, looking at things retrospectively I don't think we were set up particularly well for european success in those days (although expected it at the time). Bar 1992/93 (what a season that was!), we didn't really make any impact. Have a feeling at that time, Walter was more of an aggressive motivator type coach but perhaps our teams lacked the know-how  & organisation to compete in Europe. Second time around, Walter seemed to be a much more tactically aware coach...whilst not a european game the league cup final against St Mirren where we won with 9 men was just utterly ridiculous, he seemed to be pushing & pulling players here there and everywhere!

On 08/07/2018 at 18:58, ronniemca said:

Followed the gers for almost 70 years and the only truly world class players (that is a player playing for us who could play for any team in the world) would be Baxter and the younger Willie Henderson 

I would respectfully add the great Willie Woodburn to that list, Ronnie. He made Beckenbauer look like a pub player. :bow: