The worst thing about Stevie G being our Manager...

Ryju84

5 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

im not saying it is however its selective thinking when it comes to the schools up here and all utter shite.  knew a fellow lodge member whose son was expelled from the local school and he had 2 choices either attend the local catholic school or travel 12 miles a day to the next nearest school.  chose the local catholic school.  doesnt make him a catholic, in fact far from it however he got constant abuse left the lodge and band etc.  intrigued to know what the difference is.  for me their is none bar the fact we dont want to admit gerrard went to one and play it down

I think the difference is the way they are promoted by the SNP up there as the best and more importantly their discriminatory employment practices. 

It doesnt cause the division down here. I certainly don't blame parents for choosing the nearest or best school but I do object to the special treatment that a minority seem to get. Its certainly not the childs fault. I wasn't playing it down just stating the reason they chose to send him there.

2 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I think the difference is the way they are promoted by the SNP up there as the best and more importantly their discriminatory employment practices. 

It doesnt cause the division down here. I certainly don't blame parents for choosing the nearest or best school but I do object to the special treatment that a minority seem to get. Its certainly not the childs fault. I wasn't playing it down just stating the reason they chose to send him there.

i agree as well and tbh i would happily send my weans as well only for the better education as well.  amazing how they fuckers weans leave high school far more educated than the non denom schools.  hate seeing the yearly graduations and literally 99% of the graduates are from the catholic schools.  regardless of what i think they must be doing something right

It’s always very biased for attacking players sadly but for me it’s always been -

Goats / god tier - Pele , Maradona , Beckenbauer , Cruyff , Messi , C.Ronaldo

(based on talent and there will to win, there crazy amount of trophies and goals and changing there play style, how iconic they are and what not)

then all time greats - you’re zidanes , fenemono Ronaldo Eusebio , di stefano , best, gerd muller , Puskas , Romario , M.Laudrup etc etc etc 

then greats then the rest 

6 hours ago, WATP-FOREVER said:

The other bit, regarding dodgy characters is fairly common knowledge, where he was being blackmailed by a local nutcase and a bigger local nutcase offered to make the problem go away - which he did. 

Aye.... but that guy got murdered just before we appointed SG & it's rumoured that's one of the reasons he had to leave Liverpool.

2 hours ago, The No.9 said:

It’s always very biased for attacking players sadly but for me it’s always been -

Goats / god tier - Pele , Maradona , Beckenbauer , Cruyff , Messi , C.Ronaldo

(based on talent and there will to win, there crazy amount of trophies and goals and changing there play style, how iconic they are and what not)

then all time greats - you’re zidanes , fenemono Ronaldo Eusebio , di stefano , best, gerd muller , Puskas , Romario , M.Laudrup etc etc etc 

then greats then the rest 

Garincha 'should' be in your top list (so should Davie Cooper ? )

1 hour ago, Redwhiteandblue said:

Garincha 'should' be in your top list (so should Davie Cooper ? )

True a lot of old Brazilians said he was the best from the footage I’ve seen and what e done in his life I couldn’t have him there personally haha

haha I love cooper but maybe only Baxter has a chance 

Wee bit off topic for this thread. But I met a family from Liverpool on the train home the other night. They’d came up just to see Gerrard in his first game. Never been to Glasgow in their lives. Had no interest in Rangers before either. 

The da was hooked, he loved it. He’d already booked his next trip up with his mates. (I did warn him the weather is never this good though)

Just goes to show how much of a master stroke it was bringing in Gerrard if the board are looking to increase revenue.

The only real low point in his career (that I can think of) is him falling on his arse and costing Liverpool the title vs Chelsea.

Obviously he's made mistakes like every player and had plenty of lows too but that's the only thing that really stands out for me.

4 hours ago, K.A.I said:

The only real low point in his career (that I can think of) is him falling on his arse and costing Liverpool the title vs Chelsea.

Obviously he's made mistakes like every player and had plenty of lows too but that's the only thing that really stands out for me.

He was one of the players to miss in the shoot out v Portugal. World Cup 06 I think from memory.  Can’t have been a crucial one as it doesn’t feel as famous as Batty, Southgate, Pearce etc 

1 minute ago, RowX said:

He was one of the players to miss in the shoot out v Portugal. World Cup 06 I think from memory.  Can’t have been a crucial one as it doesn’t feel as famous as Batty, Southgate, Pearce etc 

Was the deciding one 

On 08/07/2018 at 13:04, RFC Eagle said:

2 friends of mine were brought up Protestant and recently became primary teachers, they’ve both got jobs in different authorities at catholic schools and there’s been no issues or discrimination whatsoever, there’s been zero issues.

13 minutes ago, JentleJames said:

2 friends of mine were brought up Protestant and recently became primary teachers, they’ve both got jobs in different authorities at catholic schools and there’s been no issues or discrimination whatsoever, there’s been zero issues.

There have been numerous cases, in the press, where teachers haven't got positions as they weren't 'of the faith' or didn't have a letter from a priest. It may not be all of them but there are too many cases for it to be an unfortunate series of isolated incidents. I'm not aware of the same issues in Catholic schools in England. 

There is also the issue of the imposition of religious study based on that faith rather than a broader education. On top of that there is the recent SNP funding specifically targeted at segregated schools. 

48 minutes ago, Mr Soprano said:

3 Capocannonieri awards in 4 years, yet no major trophies :headwall: mad eh?

To be fair looking back im no sure if that Lazio team overachieved when competing with milan, Inter, Juve or underachieved when you look at some of the players, gascoigne, riedle, winter etc.  Defo the strongest league that i can remember

3 hours ago, RFC Eagle said:

There have been numerous cases, in the press, where teachers haven't got positions as they weren't 'of the faith' or didn't have a letter from a priest. It may not be all of them but there are too many cases for it to be an unfortunate series of isolated incidents. I'm not aware of the same issues in Catholic schools in England. 

There is also the issue of the imposition of religious study based on that faith rather than a broader education. On top of that there is the recent SNP funding specifically targeted at segregated schools. 

Do you have a source for the bottom bit? Not doubting you but I’ve had a look and can’t find it anywhere.

3 hours ago, JentleJames said:

Do you have a source for the bottom bit? Not doubting you but I’ve had a look and can’t find it anywhere.

https://news.gov.scot/news/extra-funding-for-catholic-teachers

Specific investment for Catholic Teachers. I'm guessing your friends had to get the Catholic Teaching Certificate? Why should there be any 'pre-requisite' for a job other than a standard teaching qualification and why should it be funded above the standard teacher training budget?