England related thread

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

did he though? did he really? punting the ball long and hoping the wee fast guy will get it first is primary school stuff

If anything, it does relieve them from pressure and did seem to settle them down. The only thing is, once that was achieved, Sterling didn’t really know what to do with it quickly enough and that does make him a frustrating player.

2 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Mate you’re getting pissy with fans of teams bringing up their big achievement. What difference does it make if it was your team? Their biggest achievement was winning the World Cup, it may irritate you, but it’s their Barcelona 1972 and rightly they will forever celebrate it until it is matched. It’s like telling Aberdeen to not talk about league titles in the 80s. I mean if they didn’t talk about that, then what the hell would they talk about. ?

I understand that but the BBC for example is a national broadcaster. Our choice is an Engerlund obsessed London agenda or a taig obsessed Glasgow one. I grew up watching Keegan and Gerry Francis ripping us new ones and, if you’d lived through that, you could never back England. NEVER.

1 minute ago, Marky. said:

If anything, it does relieve them from pressure and did seem to settle them down. The only thing is, once that was achieved, Sterling didn’t really know what to do with it quickly enough and that does make him a frustrating player.

I thought sterling was a major disappointment. I always felt that when Rashford came on in the matches he looked as if he was playing with more confidence and could achieve, more.

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

I understand that but the BBC for example is a national broadcaster. Our choice is an Engerlund obsessed London agenda or a taig obsessed Glasgow one. I grew up watching Keegan and Gerry Francis ripping us new ones and, if you’d lived through that, you could never back England. NEVER.

to be honest, I watch England - and I like watching them - but I could never support them.

Just now, cushynumber said:

I thought sterling was a major disappointment. I always felt that when Rashford came on in the matches he looked as if he was playing with more confidence and could achieve, more.

Yeah it probably helps when most fans wanted to see Rashford on from the start each game. Sterling plays with the fans on his back no matter what. Would have been great if it were him to score a goal to send them through. May not be likeable but he really can’t win with his own fans.

2 minutes ago, Marky. said:

Yeah it probably helps when most fans wanted to see Rashford on from the start each game. Sterling plays with the fans on his back no matter what. Would have been great if it were him to score a goal to send them through. May not be likeable but he really can’t win with his own fans.

This World Cup, he was just one of those players who has a one on one with the keeper and you absolutely know he won’t score. Like Morelos second half of last season.

3 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

British Broadcasting Corporation reporting on the only British World Cup team though. When it was Wales a couple years ago, the coverage was superb. When Scotland make it to a World Cup or European championship, we will have all our great pundits such as Michael Stewart and Stevie Thompson who will probably talk much about the Archie Gemmell goal.

I personally wanted to see England go all the way, not for any reason other than pretty much every family member apart from my old man live there. With a growing English family, it has been nice to share a positive and exciting World Cup tournament with them. The real stuff starts tomorrow, but the World Cup is a carnival. You get folk who don’t watch football actively anticipating the games. It’s great, so much of that anticipation is built by the media too. As irritating as some of the patter is, it’s all that there is on offer.

3 minutes ago, Ger_onimo said:

This World Cup, he was just one of those players who has a one on one with the keeper and you absolutely know he won’t score. Like Morelos second half of last season.

Almost as if there was an expectation for him to miss, similar to Morelos as you say. It must be very hard for a player when you know that that’s your backing. Hopefully Alfredo keeps his head held high and gets a lot out of the new coaching staff.

20 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

did he though? did he really? punting the ball long and hoping the wee fast guy will get it first is primary school stuff

Yes. 

Kane coming deep and Sterling playing on the shoulder of the defence, was evidently their best game plan, as shown by the first 45 minutes 

Their two Cbs were all over the place in the first half 

1 hour ago, GT66 said:

Yes. 

Kane coming deep and Sterling playing on the shoulder of the defence, was evidently their best game plan, as shown by the first 45 minutes 

Their two Cbs were all over the place in the first half 

The cbs weren't all over the place mate. They contained sterling very well. No goals , no assists - for the entire world cup- tells a story.

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

The cbs weren't all over the place mate. They contained sterling very well. No goals , no assists - for the entire world cup- tells a story.

I didn't say he scored or got assists, you don't need to, to have an impact in a game. 

How many goal scoring chances did England have when he was on the pitch tonight vs off it? 

England were better with him on tonight, than they were after he went off. 

59 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

It's somewhat reassuring that someone else remembers the 70s the way that I do on here.

Just can't support England.  The same way I can't support the mhanks in Europe.  It's just the way that I was brought up.

1 hour ago, Colin Traive said:

I was a bit like that years ago but I've changed since then.  I wanted England to do well because they are a UK team.  I'm the same with Wales and Northern Ireland.  I no longer have the same fervour for internationals.    My love for Rangers has never decreased one iota.   The English media can be annoying but we were the same in 1978 and we wouldn't be any different if we had got to the WC semi-final.  

18 minutes ago, BrotherTJ said:

It's somewhat reassuring that someone else remembers the 70s the way that I do on here.

Just can't support England.  The same way I can't support the mhanks in Europe.  It's just the way that I was brought up.

Comparing England to the dark side??   You have to be joking mate.

1 minute ago, JCDBigBear said:

I was a bit like that years ago but I've changed since then.  I wanted England to do well because they are a UK team.  I'm the same with Wales and Northern Ireland.  I no longer have the same fervour for internationals.    My love for Rangers has never decreased one iota.   The English media can be annoying but we were the same in 1978 and we wouldn't be any different if we had got to the WC semi-final.  

Can’t see it that way. The English don’t even think about us enough to hate us. Their indifference is even more galling than hatred.

Wishing England well because they’re British is no different to wishing the taigs well because they are (intermittently) Scottish.

Wales and Northern Ireland have never ridiculed us as a team or as a country so I always wish them well and I was delighted with both doing well in recent qualifying campaigns.

I’m abroad so I’ll miss the day of mourning, the candlelit vigils, the wailing and the gnashing of teeth but I’ll revel in it even from thousands of miles away.

11 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

fuck owing you a £1 from 30 years ago

7 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

I know

Comparing the bheasts in Scotland to England

What the hell is happening to this place

There is no comparison in the terms you suggest. But after checking to see if my team has won, the next thing I do is check if the team I detest most have lost.

At club level, that is the taigs, at international level, that is Engerlund.