Emmanuel Eboue arrested for Arson

Just now, cushynumber said:

you think the DR recently has been impartial with regards to Rangers?

Vast majority of stuff, absolutely. Some has been absolute bullshit and rightly complained about. Folk often moan about stuff like Jackson’s column not being impartial seemingly forgetting that it’s an opinion. It won’t be impartial. That’s the point of them. In its news reporting though, yes. 

2 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

We may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but what if this footballer had been caught abusing children or some such, would the record be right to show him wearing a Rangers top when he had nothing to do with the club or even supported them ? 

I would expect the story to approached in an entirely different manner. From everything to the copy to the headlines and images used.  

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Vast majority of stuff, absolutely. Some has been absolute bullshit and rightly complained about. Folk often moan about stuff like Jackson’s column not being impartial seemingly forgetting that it’s an opinion. It won’t be impartial. That’s the point of them. In its news reporting though, yes. 

I thought that only TV stations had to be impartial in their reporting of the news, I thought newspapers were allowed to be as biased as they like without outright lying?

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So answer the question, would you think the picture would reflect positively on celtic just because someone is pictured in a celtic top?

Feel free to investigate. Or if you’re willing to pay me day rate then I’ll happily oblige. Not in the habit of working for free. 

Your question is a red herring, just seeking to avoid answering my points. And it was implicitly answered already in my first post.

But as for having a really great story right in front of your face, all you think of is someone paying you. Not really in the spirit of true journalism, eh.

You have the opportunity to really show Scottish 'journalism' up for what it is. In this thread alone a number of posts even provide you with the research needed. If you can't be bothered (or are too scared to upset your paymasters) then at least it is clear what kind of journalism you've chosen.

Just now, OhW said:

I thought that only TV stations had to be impartial in their reporting of the news, I thought newspapers were allowed to be as biased as they like without outright lying?

The BBC is the only one obliged to be impartial. Others have to be impartial on their reporting of political content around elections. That’s about it. Newspapers have always had positions on politics etc and backed certain parties at various points. 

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

mmm, that not my perception. I also think that when people do see negative or positive headlines there is an association made with the picture - or else why post any pictures at all if not to add some context?

1 minute ago, Bears said:

Your question is a red herring, just seeking to avoid answering my points. And it was implicitly answered already in my first post.

But as for having a really great story right in front of your face, all you think of is someone paying you. Not really in the spirit of true journalism, eh.

You have the opportunity to really show Scottish 'journalism' up for what it is. In this thread alone a number of posts even provide you with the research needed. If you can't be bothered (or are too scared to upset your paymasters) then at least it is clear what kind of journalism you've chosen.

Well yes. It’s my job. I’ll give up my free time to do things that I want to do and enjoy - like helping a local junior side set up their club tv channel - but if I’m doing something ‘on demand’ for someone then I’d want paid.

I’ve chosen football journalism. I’ve made that clear on several occasions. I want to write about football. 

If the research is there then knock yourself out. Maybe a new calling awaits you in investigative journalism. I’m quite happy doing football. 

Just now, cushynumber said:

mmm, that not my perception. I also think that when people do see negative or positive headlines there is an association made with the picture - or else why post any pictures at all if not to add some context?

People don’t respond well to articles that are just walls of text. They can catch people’s eyes when scrolling on social media. Sometimes they can give some context. Sometimes they can be used as the hook for the story. Sometimes an image simply says more than words can (particularly with newspapers)

3 hours ago, soulboy said:

since you work for them why don't you go into their images and see how many images they have of him not in our strip and i'll bet you'll find quite a few.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Four.

Still defending the indefensible. 

Check Google images, there's dozens of non copyrighted images of the guy.

And the poster that claimed that you're sanctimonious is correct - you often treat other posters as you should be treating the dr / fenians. 

12 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The BBC is the only one obliged to be impartial. Others have to be impartial on their reporting of political content around elections. That’s about it. Newspapers have always had positions on politics etc and backed certain parties at various points. 

Exactly, so it's not like the DR can only show bias against us in "opinion" pieces. These articles are part of their bias against us. 

What I will say is that I don't actually read stories about celtic, so I couldn't tell you what sort of treatment they receive. Also, once you decide to wear the "everyone is against us" glasses, you'll unsurprisingly start making everything you see fit that narrative.

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

And the poster that claimed that you're sanctimonious is correct - you often treat other posters as you should be treating the dr / fenians. 

Defends anyone that has an agenda against us.  For a genuine Rangers supporter it’s baffling. Then again is happy to post #ggtth on Twitter so........

Just now, WATP-FOREVER said:

Newspapers generally don’t use google images to source images. 

Sorry, should I be showing some kind of deference to everyone? If folk are civil to me then it’s reciprocated. Act the cunt and I will too.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

and there lies the crux of the matter

I was more referring to images such as the  ‘Falling Man’ from 9/11, or the nighttime bombing raids over Baghdad. But if you honestly think there is a negative connotation off the back of a picture like that then all I can say is that I think you’re wildly off the mark

Just now, The Dude said:

What an odd lie to come up with.

Dude if I’m mistaking you for who I have you pegged as on Twitter I’ll genuinely apologise - that’ll have been a mistake on my part and I have totally crossed wires. 

1 minute ago, markem said:

Dude if I’m mistaking you for who I have you pegged as on Twitter I’ll genuinely apologise - that’ll have been a mistake on my part and I have totally crossed wires. 

Who do you have me pegged as on Twitter?

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Newspapers generally don’t use google images to source images. 

Sorry, should I be showing some kind of deference to everyone? If folk are civil to me then it’s reciprocated. Act the cunt and I will too.

You certainly are that. 

And still making pish excuses - it is inexcusable to have Rangers associated with an arsonist - who's never kicked a ball for us.

And using a free, uncopyrighted Google image/s would have alleviated their intended association.

I was more referring to images such as the  ‘Falling Man’ from 9/11, or the nighttime bombing raids over Baghdad. But if you honestly think there is a negative connotation off the back of a picture like that then all I can say is that I think you’re wildly off the mark

and i think you are being a little naive with regards to your employers, but I shall leave it there ?

Just now, scottyscott1963 said:

Pandering to the beggar hordes who will take great delight in the association,especially an arsonist in a Rangers top.
This scabby rag chose it's side to support,and hell fuckin mend them when it's gone.

Biggest newspaper group in the UK now I believe

Who do you have me pegged as on Twitter?

Bio opens. Video, podcasts +words at the daily record

and that individual responded to a Hibs signing recently by saying words to the effect of ‘great signing and #ggtth

If that’s not you I do genuinely apologise, the intent wasn’t to lie, it’s a genuine mistake and I should have my facts right

Just now, markem said:

Bio opens. Video, podcasts +words at the daily record

and that individual responded to a Hibs signing recently by saying words to the effect of ‘great signing and #ggtth

If that’s not you I do genuinely apologise, the intent wasn’t to lie, it’s a genuine mistake and I should have my facts right

Nah, that’s Jonny McFarlane. (He’s no actually a Hibs fan)

Fair play though. ??

1 minute ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Big companies can dump small circulations if it aint selling.

They can but it is - either highest or second circulation in Scotland. Digital also growing rapidly. Think that’s more the bread and butter now anyway.