Emmanuel Eboue arrested for Arson

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Their deliberate smearing or Arsenal’s name?

The Arsenal connection is more valid, as he actually played for that club, so if they are putting an association out there then Arsenal is the logical one. He never played for us, hence the unnecessary need for using a picture in a Rangers top.

1 minute ago, Negri's lovechild said:

The Arsenal connection is more valid, as he actually played for that club, so if they are putting an association out there then Arsenal is the logical one. He never played for us, hence the unnecessary need for using a picture in a Rangers top.

But they have no link to the story itself. It’s just a picture. It’s no more anti Rangers than STV are anti-Catholic because of this: 

https://twitter.com/lawlor1john/status/1016371803697111040?s=21

Arsenal are as much a part of the story as Rangers. There’s folk moan on here when stories refer to ex-Rangers players as ex-Rangers players (Kyle Lafferty namely) since they are no longer anything to do with us. 

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

not quite. You’re both cranks because you both claim the media are out to get your respective clubs. He thinks the media are out to get celtic and are pro-Rangers why you think the same folk are pro-celtic and anti-Rangers

I would also say Rangers are the most successful team in the world yet he would likely strongly refute this given his sevco beliefs. Are we both cranks again here?

Or is it only when it involves your beloved media? Sometimes folk can't see the wood for the trees. You're currently in the middle of a forest. Or perhaps it doesn't suit your agenda for career progression and accept the obvious anti Rangers bias there is out there.

And fuck bringing ill Phil to a Rangers related discussion.

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

not quite. You’re both cranks because you both claim the media are out to get your respective clubs. He thinks the media are out to get celtic and are pro-Rangers why you think the same folk are pro-celtic and anti-Rangers

an equivalence between a guy posting on a forum and phil? Dude, seriously, get checked for Stockholm syndrome.

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Dude, i thought you were a Rangers supporter? why the usage of the club in the 3rd party?

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

an equivalence between a guy posting on a forum and phil? Dude, seriously, get checked for Stockholm syndrome.

Aye, because we’ve never seen that equivalence on here before. And tbh the original comment I referred to wouldn’t look out of place in one of Phil’s ramblings. It’s the same bollocks only with the teams swapped around. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So not arsenal’s Or his wife?

You keep using other things with no connection to The Rangers to justify the rheb’s smearing of The Rangers, you should quit while you are behind, your defence of the indefensible is frankly embarrassing.

1 minute ago, backup said:

You keep using other things with no connection to The Rangers to justify the rheb’s smearing of The Rangers, you should quit while you are behind, your defence of the indefensible is frankly embarrassing.

? Of course. Although out of curiosity (and unrelated to the topic) can I ask why you seem to exclusively use The Rangers in a similar manner to certain sevcoists? Maybe purely coincidental but jumped out at me. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But they have no link to the story itself. It’s just a picture. It’s no more anti Rangers than STV are anti-Catholic because of this: 

Arsenal are as much a part of the story as Rangers. There’s folk moan on here when stories refer to ex-Rangers players as ex-Rangers players (Kyle Lafferty namely) since they are no longer anything to do with us. 

The link posted is very subjective. It is an excellent pause. It is clearly the opening of a news story, where they take an image and it comes into the scene and moves to the background. Non story. 

The ex player links cannot be refuted if said player actually played for the club. Eboue did not and has not ever played for us. To me, stating ex Arsenal is correct if that is where the player is best known from. 

There is an incorrectly used image in that collage. That is the issue. It is not factual.

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To write about football. 

Thought it may have been in some small way to try to make reporting on Rangers a bit more balanced. Fight our corner a bit due to bias against us. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Thought it may have been in some small way to try to make reporting on Rangers a bit more balanced. Fight our corner a bit due to bias against us. Oh well.

That was a mantra he alluded to previously - I did suggest to him at the time it was a forlorn hope.

53 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Arsenal have no connection to the story either. 

Come on man, the subject of the story is their former player who spent years there, made his name there and when people hear his name that club is the first thing they think of. That's their connection, and that's what makes it reasonable to use the image in an Arsenal shirt. Once again though, he has no connection to Rangers other than playing against us in a friendly once which doesn't justify bringing us in to it by using an image of him in our shirt. 

33 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

I have genuinely been thinking the same since yesterday. I mean I realise they are an employer of sorts (not sure if he's freelance) and they probably know he posts on here under that name so maybe feels he needs to be seen to defend them but seriously, blink twice if you need help..

12 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You wanted the long answer? Fair dos. 

I’m absolutely obsessed with football. I’ll spend most of my day doing something related to football - whether it’s watching a game on TV, attending games, writing about it, talking about it, reading about it. I’ll watch games from across the world just because it’s a game of football. I’ll often try get to as many games as I can in a week (whether it’s senior games, youths or even school’s football) but I always read the papers and thought that what I’d read was a bit shit. 

There were no real opinions offered on the game itself and many of the columnists at the time either made grudges against players or themselves the star of the show. I didn’t want to read about Gerry McNee not liking ‘Number Eight’ or how Bob Shields drank in eight different boozers before missing the game. I wanted to read about how Brian Laudrup would leave defenders for dead before delivering an inch-perfect cross for McCoist to nod home. I wanted to read about why the way Walter Smith’s teams were set-up were the ideal way to counter any side in Scotland and made the most of the players at his disposal. 

Instead it was inane shite and cliche-filled drivel and I decided I could do better despite having absolutely no qualifications beyond what I got at School. I’ve always aimed to bring more balance towards the reporting of Rangers (and would like to think the literally thousands of articles I’ve had published over the last few years bear that out) and feel that everything I’ve put out since starting this, while hardly anything spectacular, has given Rangers fans something that can’t be accused of having any hidden agenda. 

By doing my job, as I think it should be done at least, I’m happy that what I write is balanced and fair to Rangers, and anyone else for that matter. Who knows, maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree and have spent the last five years chasing something I shouldn’t have bothered with. 

Maybe being fair in my work will come back and bite me in the arse but it’s done me fine so far.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

You still on about this? You not figured it out yet? Here you go, some light entertainment for you.

50 minutes ago, The Dude said:

? Of course. Although out of curiosity (and unrelated to the topic) can I ask why you seem to exclusively use The Rangers in a similar manner to certain sevcoists? Maybe purely coincidental but jumped out at me. 

Dude, you would be better put to use as a so called Rangers supporter, and logging onto taig fansites and agreeing with them that the smsm are Rangers influenced - as you're so pathetically unbelievable, even the most dedicated of them would come around to reality. 

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

1 I can accept and is almost certainly the reason that the picture was taken to start with. Could be useful in the future with transfer stories etc. If it was just about relevance though I’d argue they’d have just gone with that picture rather than the ‘collage’ type they used (or at least that’s how I would have) 

2 is nonsense imo. I asked someone about it earlier but they dodged it, but I’ll ask again, would you associate a story with celtic just because there was a pic of a celtic top? Say the Snoop Dogg picture in a celtic top.  If he released a mega album and there was a story of him becoming the biggest star on earth, would you associate that success with celtic just because he’s pictured in a celtic too  

Use that particular one because it appears to be one they own. 

Tbh, I'd use the collage. Makes it Scotland relevant whilst giving a hint of the larger picture that he's a biggish star on a larger stage than Scotland.

Not sure I see this use of the strip the same way I see the ones where it's people that have kicked dugs or bottled folk that are pictured with Rangers tops on. Don't see that they have to make that more relevant, and it seems quite gratuitous and malicious when they do it. Presumably in those instances they'll be conducting broader searches for images and consciously choose those from a selection? It seems more damaging to try to display Rangers fans as being involved in criminality than to display a player that wore a Rangers top once, or a player you might even be trying to lead to leads us to think played for us once, was involved in criminality, seeing as the fans are the club, whereas players are just people that pass through generally, whose behaviour once they've left us has nothing to do with us. 

I suppose you could read that it's a small part of a subconscious drip, drip of negativity into it. But on the grand scale, even though the DR to me DO have a vindictiveness towards us, this isn't one that annoys me much. It's pretty low on the negative-drip scale compared to some other things. Also have to say that I've seen plenty of things involving folk that have been up to shenanigans pictured in the DR wearing sellic strips.

P.S. As a budding journalist, you should know better than to misuse seen vs saw. I'm far more disgusted by this than anything else. Five to the back of the hand for you, Black.

12 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

That doesn't sound like "to write about football". Confusing.

I didn’t decide to do it to be seen as some sort of white knight defending Rangers’ honour. I believe my work doesn’t reflect poorly on Rangers but it wasn’t the main motivation for deciding to start writing. Might be for some others but I just want to write about fitba.