Emmanuel Eboue arrested for Arson

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Not defending anything. It wouldn’t have been how I would’ve have done it. (Probably wouldn’t have even named the player in the headline and had it something like ‘Former PL star arrested over arson claims’. Just offering a wee bit into how these things tend to work, in my experience at least. 

since you work for them why don't you go into their images and see how many images they have of him not in our strip and i'll bet you'll find quite a few.

4 minutes ago, Malvern said:

So 25% of their images of this player are him in a Rangers shirt. Aye right you are.

Anyway I wanted to read about the Arson, let it all burn baby burn!

I was being facetious. Looking at the images they’ve used, the one in the Rangers too is the only one the Record owns the copyright to. Others are copyrighted by Getty, AFP and Daily Mirror. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I was being facetious. Looking at the images they’ve used, the one in the Rangers too is the only one the Record owns the copyright to. Others are copyrighted by Getty, AFP and Daily Mirror. 

Others have already said there are plenty not copyrighted but carry on with the narrative and I am sure many, many people will understand. None of them will be Rangers people but as your main jobs fan base is the hoopy lot you will be fine.

Just now, Malvern said:

Others have already said there are plenty not copyrighted but carry on with the narrative and I am sure many, many people will understand. None of them will be Rangers people but as your main jobs fan base is the hoopy lot you will be fine.

Of course there are going to be images which aren’t copyrighted but I think a lot of folk have got the completely wrong idea how newspapers get their images. They have their own database that they use. Depending on then paper they will have access to other external libraries as part of that (Getty, Reuters, AFP, etc) They don’t google search them unless they don’t exist in their own in-house library. They’ll also look for images to be in specific sizes and resolutions - my previous job insisted that all images are 590x405 pixels and as we never had a specific picture desk it was down to the writers to select them. Google would be the last place to check.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Of course there are going to be images which aren’t copyrighted but I think a lot of folk have got the completely wrong idea how newspapers get their images. They have their own database that they use. Depending on then paper they will have access to other external libraries as part of that (Getty, Reuters, AFP, etc) They don’t google search them unless they don’t exist in their own in-house library. They’ll also look for images to be in specific sizes and resolutions - my previous job insisted that all images are 590x405 pixels and as we never had a specific picture desk it was down to the writers to select them. Google would be the last place to check.

Who cares apart from you? I don't give a crap where they get their images and if their database is shit then so be it, not my issue.

Basic fact is he never played for Rangers but is in our top they print for a story about allegedly committing a crime, is that correct or not? If it is not then your fine you win, if it is correct they used a completely unrelated image to try and sell a point you may as well print a story of Maddy McCann appearing as Casper the ghost in the paper as it will have as much validity.

11 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Who cares apart from you? I don't give a crap where they get their images and if their database is shit then so be it, not my issue.

Basic fact is he never played for Rangers but is in our top they print for a story about allegedly committing a crime, is that correct or not? If it is not then your fine you win, if it is correct they used a completely unrelated image to try and sell a point you may as well print a story of Maddy McCann appearing as Casper the ghost in the paper as it will have as much validity.

Evidently you care. The picture is of Eboue. That’s all it is. There’s no ulterior motive to it - just like there’s no ulterior motive to showing his wife or an Arsenal top. 

Tell me this, if he was pictured in a celtic top would you think the story had ANYTHING to do with celtic? 

While the reaction to this is way over the top. Using an image of a guy in a Rangers top is completely unnecessary. 

One photo was more than adequate. And there was no need for that one photo to be in a top he had on simply because he had swapped it at the end of a friendly. The argument of copyright is a straw man. If they are paying for 3 photos why use a 4th that is free. 

Just use one that you are paying for and save the money on the other 2. Thereby postponing the inevitable demise of a gutter rag and the loss of employment of talentless bottom feeders?

Just now, The Dude said:

Evidently you care. The picture is of Eboue. That’s all it is. There’s no ulterior motive to it - just like there’s no ulterior motive to showing his wife or an Arsenal top. 

Tell me this, if he was pictured in a celtic top would you think the story had ANYTHING to do with celtic? 

Ahh the old "turn the question around routine". Not seen that in about three days.

If I saw him in a ceptic top I wouldn't give a fuck, don't care about them at all or want to know who their players were or are. As to the mentioned ulterior motive you alluded to there is premia facia evidence that this is the case with this image and you can speculate and regurgitate as much crap as you want about "image rights", why the hell did they have one image "stored" in their library of a player who has never donned a Rangers shirt under our employment?

Now away and fuck to cloud cuckoo land cause your not selling here.

The Dude literally speaks for 0.1% of our support, him and BP9 basically. 

That’s exactly why he’s in the position he’s in. The rebel look like they have a Rangers fans voice, when it’s really what they wanted to print about us anyway. 

A “journalist” who hasn’t defended Rangers once. 

If I had just recently jumped into the journalism scene or wanted my name heard I’d be questioning the media bias towards us, and then questioning why the tarriers name seems to be airbrushed from history when the historical abuse trial is reported on. 

34 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

While the reaction to this is way over the top. Using an image of a guy in a Rangers top is completely unnecessary. 

One photo was more than adequate. And there was no need for that one photo to be in a top he had on simply because he had swapped it at the end of a friendly. The argument of copyright is a straw man. If they are paying for 3 photos why use a 4th that is free. 

Just use one that you are paying for and save the money on the other 2. Thereby postponing the inevitable demise of a gutter rag and the loss of employment of talentless bottom feeders?

Surely they have a photo on file from the same friendly not wearing our kit? 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The Dude literally speaks for 0.1% of our support, him and BP9 basically. 

That’s exactly why he’s in the position he’s in. The rebel look like they have a Rangers fans voice, when it’s really what they wanted to print about us anyway. 

A “journalist” who hasn’t defended Rangers once. 

If I had just recently jumped into the journalism scene or wanted my name heard I’d be questioning the media bias towards us, and then questioning why the tarriers name seems to be airbrushed from history when the historical abuse trial is reported on. 

Defended Rangers by writing about something that has nothing to do with Rangers? Makes perfect sense that. 

I must have dreamt about writing those articles calling out the xenophobia aimed at the (then) manager and several players from people in the media - including at the Record, or the manouvering by Lawwell to carve up the SPFL board despite stepping down.

Tell you what though, maybe we should just follow your lead and do fuck all except moan on a message board 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Defended Rangers by writing about something that has nothing to do with Rangers? Makes perfect sense that. 

I must have dreamt about writing those articles calling out the xenophobia aimed at the (then) manager and several players from people in the media - including at the Record, or the manouvering by Lawwell to carve up the SPFL board despite stepping down.

Tell you what though, maybe we should just follow your lead and do fuck all except moan on a message board 

sorry dude ive not read through all this,  but are you saying the only stock photo that the DR has of eboue, is one of him in a Rangers top? therefore that is why they used it?

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

Most likely because it’s an image they own  rather than having to pay a licensing fee to use from the likes of Getty or Reuters’ photo libraries. 

Come on to fuck Dude,

the record used the image of him wearing a Rangers top for one purpose and that was to sell papers, they don't give a shit that the story has no relevance whatsoever to Rangers or that it reflects negatively on the club.

4 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

sorry dude ive not read through all this,  but are you saying the only stock photo that the DR has of eboue, is one of him in a Rangers top? therefore that is why they used it?

No, but it’s likely one of a small number of Eboue they outright own (the others in the article are from external libraries - Getty,  AFP & Daily Mirror* - which would back that up. They also used the exact same four photo image for a previous story about Eboue in December which also leads me to believe they have a fairly limited library of Eboue pictures. 

Using multiple images in a social media card is a style they use fairly regularly (particularly with stories with weak headlines which I feel this one is for reasons explained elsewhere in the thread). 

*Although the Mirror are part of the same group, the Record has to pay to use Mirror  content and vice versa. If the Mirror was to use my blog for example, I’d get paid by the Record and then a second payment from the Mirror. 

26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You’re literally in the position to do something and still do fuck all so don’t try and take the moral high ground with me. 

You’re a sanctimonious prick who seems to think he’s better than other Rangers fans. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

No, but it’s likely one of a small number of Eboue they outright own (the others in the article are from external libraries - Getty,  AFP & Daily Mirror* - which would back that up. They also used the exact same four photo image for a previous story about Eboue in December which also leads me to believe they have a fairly limited library of Eboue pictures. 

Using multiple images in a social media card is a style they use fairly regularly (particularly with stories with weak headlines which I feel this one is for reasons explained elsewhere in the thread). 

*Although the Mirror are part of the same group, the Record has to pay to use Mirror  content and vice versa. If the Mirror was to use my blog for example, I’d get paid by the Record and then a second payment from the Mirror. 

Ok, so the gist of the argument would then be - if you have a small number of images, why use that particular one of him in a shirt that he never played in?

1. the rangers top makes it "relevant" in scotland   

2. they have purposely used this particular image to associate the club with a negative headline

3. both.

Given recent treatment of the club, its easy to see why people go for option 2 or 3.