Emmanuel Eboue arrested for Arson

1 minute ago, Prso's headband said:

You’re literally in the position to do something and still do fuck all so don’t try and take the moral high ground with me. 

You’re a sanctimonious prick who seems to think he’s better than other Rangers fans. 

I’m in the ‘position’ I’m in to write about  Rangers. I do that. A lot. That’s what got me to where I am. It’s what I’ve always said I intend to do. If you’d rather do something different then by all means go ahead.

Sanctimonious like telling someone what they should do in their job? Certainly don’t think I’m better than Rangers fans. A

2 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Ok, so the gist of the argument would then be - if you have a small number of images, why use that particular one of him in a shirt that he never played in?

1. the Rangers top makes it "relevant" in scotland   

2. they have purposely used this particular image to associate the club with a negative headline

3. both.

Given recent treatment of the club, its easy to see why people go for option 2 or 3.

1 I can accept and is almost certainly the reason that the picture was taken to start with. Could be useful in the future with transfer stories etc. If it was just about relevance though I’d argue they’d have just gone with that picture rather than the ‘collage’ type they used (or at least that’s how I would have) 

2 is nonsense imo. I asked someone about it earlier but they dodged it, but I’ll ask again, would you associate a story with celtic just because there was a pic of a celtic top? Say the Snoop Dogg picture in a celtic top.  If he released a mega album and there was a story of him becoming the biggest star on earth, would you associate that success with celtic just because he’s pictured in a celtic too  

Use that particular one because it appears to be one they own. 

11 minutes ago, scottyscott1963 said:

This is a scabby rag I have refused for nothing in my local spar who were trying to give it away if you spent a pound.
Requested they give it to the local animal shelter for old greyhounds bedding.

:cheers:

On the money mate .... scumbag rag.

:UK: 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A different news desk and picture desk ran different headers and images? Madness! 

I am quite happy that the rheb knew exactly what it was doing, as I am happy its sister paper reported as it was in truth..having no connection ro The Rangers in any shape or form.

Defending the indefensible is never a good idea.

It's better to keep your mouth shut, @The Dude, and let people think you're ...

The amount of time spent defending a really weak argument could have been donated to one's employer by at least doubling the DR's stash of free Eboue pics! 

And if Eboue, or anyone else so tenuously linked, was in a DR (etc.) photo wearing a celtc shirt I would never expect the story to show him in a negative light.

Just now, backup said:

I am quite happy that the rheb knew exactly what it was doing, as I am happy its sister paper reported as it was in truth..having no connection ro The Rangers in any shape or form.

Defending the indefensible is never a good idea.

The picture makes it have a connection to Rangers?

2 minutes ago, Bears said:

It's better to keep your mouth shut, @The Dude, and let people think you're ...

The amount of time spent defending a really weak argument could have been donated to one's employer by at least doubling the DR's stash of free Eboue pics! 

And if Eboue, or anyone else so tenuously linked, was in a DR (etc.) photo wearing a celtc shirt I would never expect the story to show him in a negative light.

Would you think it reflected well on celtic and linked them to his success? 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

1 I can accept and is almost certainly the reason that the picture was taken to start with. Could be useful in the future with transfer stories etc. If it was just about relevance though I’d argue they’d have just gone with that picture rather than the ‘collage’ type they used (or at least that’s how I would have) 

2 is nonsense imo. I asked someone about it earlier but they dodged it, but I’ll ask again, would you associate a story with celtic just because there was a pic of a celtic top? Say the Snoop Dogg picture in a celtic top.  If he released a mega album and there was a story of him becoming the biggest star on earth, would you associate that success with celtic just because he’s pictured in a celtic too  

Use that particular one because it appears to be one they own. 

The answer to your second point from someone who knows nothing about Snoop Dogg or what he does,  is, on seeing such a picture my first impression would be, he’s a filth supporter, second impression, what has it got to do with celtic ? 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Like the one in the Record’s ‘collage’?

I think if this was in isolation, then you have an argument. But it's not. So I wouldn't expect rangers fans be anything other than suspicious when this type of headline is created. Maybe the DR should update its photo stock - that is of course if they even want to be seen as impartial. Which is itself very much open for debate.

1 minute ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

The answer to your second point from someone who knows nothing about Snoop Dogg or what he does,  is, on seeing such a picture my first impression would be, he’s a filth supporter, second impression, what has it got to do with celtic ? 

So there's no positive inference? Then why is there a negative?

Just now, cushynumber said:

I think if this was in isolation, then you have an argument. But it's not. So I wouldn't expect Rangers fans be anything other than suspicious when this type of headline is created. Maybe the DR should update its photo stock - that is of course if they even want to be seen as impartial. Which is itself very much open for debate.

Why would he bother buying more photos of someone that has featured in two stories in the last few years? Seems a bit unnecessary. 

When celtic fans think it is out to get them and is a pro-Rangers paper and Rangers fans think it’s out to get them and is a pro-celtic paper then I think the lack of impartiality claim is much overplayed. It can’t be both pro-Rangers and anti-Rangers at the same time as being pro-celtic and anti-celtic

Would you think it reflected well on celtic and linked them to his success? 

Point being none of us would expect a celtc shirt and a negative story unless unavoidable. A number of posts in this thread document the fact that the DR et al. happily employ any tenuous link regarding Rangers and a negative story. The fact that you seemingly don't see this points to this problem being utterly endemic in Scottish journalism, or just a prerequisite to getting a job. Break the mould, Dude, investigate the story and share your findings!

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Why would he bother buying more photos of someone that has featured in two stories in the last few years? Seems a bit unnecessary. 

When celtic fans think it is out to get them and is a pro-Rangers paper and Rangers fans think it’s out to get them and is a pro-celtic paper then I think the lack of impartiality claim is much overplayed. It can’t be both pro-Rangers and anti-Rangers at the same time as being pro-celtic and anti-celtic

Where do you come in?

you think the DR recently has been impartial with regards to rangers?

1 minute ago, Bears said:

Point being none of us would expect a celtc shirt and a negative story unless unavoidable. A number of posts in this thread document the fact that the DR et al. happily employ any tenuous link regarding Rangers and a negative story. The fact that you seemingly don't see this points to this problem being utterly endemic in Scottish journalism, or just a prerequisite to getting a job. Break the mould, Dude, investigate the story and share your findings!

So answer the question, would you think the picture would reflect positively on celtic just because someone is pictured in a celtic top?

Feel free to investigate. Or if you’re willing to pay me day rate then I’ll happily oblige. Not in the habit of working for free. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So there's no positive inference? Then why is there a negative?

We may be making a mountain out of a mole hill but what if this footballer had been caught abusing children or some such, would the record be right to show him wearing a Rangers top when he had nothing to do with the club or even supported them ?