Gerrard addressing physicality

Essandoh

3 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Height isn’t everything but it’s clear to see that the manager has realised how badly we failed to compete with teams physically last year. McGregor, Arfield and Murphy aside, so far we’ve brought in:

Flanagan 6ft, Ejaria 6ft, Coulibaly 6ft, Goldson 6ft3.5, Sadiq 6ft3.5, and Katic 6ft4.

We could still potentially see Solanke join at the end of the window who’s 6ft2, and the Rangers Observer have just confirmed that we’ve made an improved bid for centre back Jake Cooper at Millwall who’s 6ft5.

It’ll be interesting to see the average height of our starting eleven when all deals are done. Height means nothing if you’re a shitebag like Herrera but I’m optimistic that we’re heading in the right direction to not get outfought physically this season - especially with the pressing system being implemented.

It's not about just height though, too many times we've bought tall players who are essentially a lanky streak of bacon.

Married to height has to be an element of bulk and power.

However, yes it's clear that SG is intending to dominate games with either physicality or possession.

As long as we have defenders who can do their jobs properly and midfielders who can take the physical aspect of our game to a higher level, it'll be better for us.   Up front I still have concerns and thankfully we have a goalkeeper who is decent standard.

27 minutes ago, kanjo said:

As long as we have defenders who can do their jobs properly and midfielders who can take the physical aspect of our game to a higher level, it'll be better for us.   Up front I still have concerns and thankfully we have a goalkeeper who is decent standard.

My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see us bring in at least one other striker.

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

Height isn’t everything but it’s clear to see that the manager has realised how badly we failed to compete with teams physically last year. McGregor, Arfield and Murphy aside, so far we’ve brought in:

Flanagan 6ft, Ejaria 6ft, Coulibaly 6ft, Goldson 6ft3.5, Sadiq 6ft3.5, and Katic 6ft4.

We could still potentially see Solanke join at the end of the window who’s 6ft2, and the Rangers Observer have just confirmed that we’ve made an improved bid for centre back Jake Cooper at Millwall who’s 6ft5.

It’ll be interesting to see the average height of our starting eleven when all deals are done. Height means nothing if you’re a shitebag like Herrera but I’m optimistic that we’re heading in the right direction to not get outfought physically this season - especially with the pressing system being implemented.

Well done SG, at 6' 4", I''m a staunch member of the TBL (Tall Bastards Loyal) 

I made a thread after the pumping at the piggery and said we had to what O’Neill done after he took charge of them, build a big strong team and bully us.  We need to do that this season and for me hopefully this is the way we’re going. 

Everyone seems to have forgotten one vital factor.................Scottish referees, look at the way they singled out Jack last season if we start getting physical the tarriers in black will make sure we don't finish many games with eleven men on the park. 

1 hour ago, Essandoh said:

Put it this way we won’t get bullied off Motherwell or any other team for that matter this season.

im even hopefully we might score more than one goal from a set piece this season 

10 minutes ago, HOPLITE said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten one vital factor.................Scottish referees, look at the way they singled out Jack last season if we start getting physical the tarriers in black will make sure we don't finish many games with eleven men on the park. 

I actually believe Gerrard and the board (with the bridge builder gone) will be vocal if decisions are clearly aimed against us when others do similar or worse.