Bolstered at the Back, Still lacking up Top

2 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

We are playing our pre season games in Europe. It’s mental to judge guys on games like this. 

This, no point in getting so upset as most of these players are still in preseason mode.

First real test is at Pittodrie in August.

No surprise, really. We started with a much changed back 5, which looked on first glance much better. Much more the quality needed.

We started with more or less the same front 6 (Arfield apart), and that still looked to lack quality when it mattered. 

I think Murphy was decent, but Windass, Candeias, Jack, Morelos lacked quality. Wasn't impressed by Arfield either. 

Big Ejaria has the feel of class though. I'm simmering away positively about him. And Middleton did well, but we need to see if he can consistently supply final balls on top of his pace and aggression.

We looked secure at the back ,solid but unimaginative in midfield and limited up front. Murphy was the best of the starting front 3. Morelos seemed out of sorts ,never seen so few balls stick to him. Windass as usual we are playing with 10 men. We need more in every area but especially up front. 

Just now, Inigo said:

No surprise, really. We started with a much changed back 5, which looked on first glance much better. Much more the quality needed.

We started with more or less the same front 6 (Arfield apart), and that still looked to lack quality when it mattered. 

I think Murphy was decent, but Windass, Candeias, Jack, Morelos lacked quality. Wasn't impressed by Arfield either. 

Big Ejaria has the feel of class though. I'm simmering away positively about him. And Middleton did well, but we need to see if he can consistently supply final balls on top of his pace and aggression.

Said before we signed him , Arfield was another Dorrans.........

Not a bad result overall though. Need to remember that in years gone by we'd have had 6 friendlies before our first competitive game. This time we've had one and most players played 45 minutes. Needs to be balanced by that.

2 minutes ago, tm91 said:

there's no creative spark or much directness at all about us. 

That's the main problem. When we did get a fast break, we scored. Thought after the bury game the players would be looking to get forward and make those incisive passes, but it wasn't there tonight. Pressure? Nerves? Lack of quality? 

1 hour ago, ShanksRFC said:

Defence looks ok but we need a player with some flair and creativity.

SG eluded to the fact that he was not finished in creating the balance and bond required to compete, I have no doubt that he will address what is glaringly obvious to one and all never mind a seasoned pro starting out in mgt as him. Let’s see how the remainder of the transfer window goes...

1 minute ago, WilliamMunny said:

Its a work in progress and im sure management knows what we need.  No overnight miracles.  Patience 

That's a fair comment and we still have a fair bit to go in the transfer window.  There's a long way to go ,fitness is still to reach its peak and players have to get to know each other. Regarding Artfield he seemed to get a couple of knocks which effected his performance. I think he will be a good signing.

4 minutes ago, TerryTibbs said:

Really hope we can get in Solanke. Think he would make a massive difference 

We need Liverpool to do us a huge favour and loan us a couple of attackers to bolster our front line.  We don't have the money it would take to bring in the type of quality needed. 

Think we all have to be patient at the moment new ideas new coaching new players all needs time to gel together but big Goldson & Katic look absolutely solid wee mention for Flannagan as well think once his fitness is up he’ll be top class

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

The header that Morelos ballooned over the bar just before half time was genuinely laughable. If you didn’t know otherwise you’d think he was trying to miss them deliberately. Awful finisher 

This made me laugh out loud ?