Bolstered at the Back, Still lacking up Top

6 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We’ll play against ten men behind ball virtually every game.

We need that X factor type who can split defences/ have a ping from edge of box.

A left winger who’ll go down outside and not cut into his strong foot but also into a packed midfield.

Goals win games, the Tarriers have 3 strikers who could win them a game, we have Morelos.

Bang on mate it’s clear as day , it truly worries me some people can’t see we either don’t have or have 1/2 players tops that would get into their team and their team isn’t even out of this world but they are just off two trebles straight but people actually think Morelos Windass jack etc can topple them?

No chance.

Trying not to be too critical. Thought the defence was solid. Something we’ve all been crying out for since the McCoist days. Gerrard’s addressed that.

I’ve said in a couple of different threads that we’re shite middle to front. And we’re winning fuck all with Candeias, Windass, Murphy, Morelos. We simply must replace at least 2 of them and at least have competition for the other two spots. There is zero creativity in our side. No one can pick a pass or cut open a defence. 

I’d bite the hand off for any bids for Windass right now. Was utterly stinking last night again. 

I’d use Candeias as a squad option. 

Can’t decide if Murphy is good or utterly shite. Bit of a bizarre player. 

Need to keep Morelos as we sorely need options up front.

McCrorie in Midfield is never going to work he works hard but he's not good enough to play that role Tav is still poor defensively Candeias struggled and Windass is still Windass and Morelos is still missing easy chances.

Work in progress but we still need more quality. 

I'd rather we played Candeias further forward rather than the midfield role. It's pointless having Windass out wide. Would rather see Candeias, Murphy and Middleton as the front three. Windass and Morelos offered nothing and when the chips are down they are found wanting.

Last nights game didn't really tell me much about the defence, thought the passing was pretty poor from the CB pairing overall, don't really care about that so much if they can defend.

Badly need an energetic CM to run at the space and create chances, inject a bit of something. No real creativity other than Murphy last night which again is a worry.

The pressing pisses me off, seems like we like the idea of pressing and have the numbers there but not working together, watching that team last night casually pass the ball about with no genuine pressure from us?

Morelos isn't good enough.

12 hours ago, DrLaudrup said:

Agree, it was reassuring that we didn't look like conceding every time the opposition got the ball, which has been a feature of us last few years. We look seriously short up front though. Until Middleton came on we genuinely didn't look to have anyone on the park the could beat a man. There was far too much sideways passing in the final 3rd as a consequence. I thought like much of last season Morelos was left isolated upfront. Still, we did the job and have time to change things and improve.  

I'm not keen on playing right sided players  on the left as the tend to cut in and never get to the bye line  (Murphy & Flanagan).  As you said it wasn't until GM came on that we got behind them and had a few cutbacks, won some corners etc

On Flanagan/left back, I would have played John last night in a game where  we have lots of possession as he offers better balance and is decent going forward.

Flanagan will be better suited when we have more defending to do imo. 

5 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

For me improving the defence is the key and though I do like the look of the players we have signed time will tell. I do think we'll be picking up a lot more clean sheets than last season which does mean we can win games 1-0 or 2-0 which we haven't been able to do very often since being promoted.

I do think we need another striker at the very least. Despite their good goal tallies last year we have seen that we cannot rely week in and week out on Morelos and Windass.

I also think we need someone who can play behind the striker. Tonight, and before, we rely too much on wing play and sometimes you need someone who will make that killer pass through the centre. I do think Ojaria can give is something like that but he seems more of a box to box Pogba type player rather than an a number 10.

For all the perception that we are shite up front we were actually top scorers in last seasons league so hopefully sorting out the defence will bring us far better results.

In saying that it is obvious we still need better than the forwards we have got

40 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

For all the perception that we are shite up front we were actually top scorers in last seasons league so hopefully sorting out the defence will bring us far better results.

Its a fair point. I wouldn't say we were shite upfront but the important distinction is that we missed too many big chances in important games, notably against celtic. 

40 minutes ago, folkestoneger said:

Absolutely, and I actually think we created a lot of goal scoring opportunities today. Just missed a finishing touch.

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Trying not to be too critical. Thought the defence was solid. Something we’ve all been crying out for since the McCoist days. Gerrard’s addressed that.

I’ve said in a couple of different threads that we’re shite middle to front. And we’re winning fuck all with Candeias, Windass, Murphy, Morelos. We simply must replace at least 2 of them and at least have competition for the other two spots. There is zero creativity in our side. No one can pick a pass or cut open a defence. 

I’d bite the hand off for any bids for Windass right now. Was utterly stinking last night again. 

I’d use Candeias as a squad option. 

Can’t decide if Murphy is good or utterly shite. Bit of a bizarre player. 

Need to keep Morelos as we sorely need options up front.

I tend to agree but they've not been tested at all though in all honesty.

They look comfortable and composed, put in the odd decent tackle when needed but I seen the likes of Kiernan, Wilson, Wallace, John, McCulloch etc have games like that where they strolled it.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

A midfield of Arfield, Dorrans, Coulibaly & Rossiter is what we need. Candeias & McCrorie are not ideal as was the case last night. And we are crying out for Harry Wison type upfront.

Dorrans, Coubaily and Rossiter? 

Fuck sake - that would be a fun game that watching the likes of Hibs steam roll us with average players with a hint of pace 

37 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Dorrans, Coubaily and Rossiter? 

Fuck sake - that would be a fun game that watching the likes of Hibs steam roll us with average players with a hint of pace 

You have made it quite clear you are not a fan of Rossiter & Dorrans. When fit and played in their right positions they will prosper around the likes of Arfield.