Ross McCrorie - good enough?

graeme_4

45 minutes ago, fanaticCR said:

Read someone’s thoughts on him last night and completely agreed.

He’s not good enough on the ball to be starting games where will have majority of possession. His bread and butter is flying into tackles and breaking up play, which is why he would be better starting tough games away from home when he wins the ball and passes it to a more creative player.

Bring in a player that can play and tackle, McCrorie is a carthorse.

3 minutes ago, dee9 said:

Yes. Hes a pup ffs. The boy is a huge part of our future.

God help us if this is after 1 game of the season.

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. Look at Tierney for the tramps. Played 100 odd games, captained them, won trebles, all at only 21. 

I an ideal world we'll have a better suited player for that role and he can learn his trade through more experienced players and obviously Stevie. He's going to have too much expected of him playing week in week out I don't think he's good enough at the minute unfortunately.  

1 minute ago, Sasa Papac's War Flashbac. said:

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. Look at Tierney for the tramps. Played 100 odd games, captained them, won trebles, all at only 21. 

Yes agreed.

However i think McCrorie will start alot of games this season. Im a huge fan but granted lastnight he was a bit off. Plenty of time 

Nope ain't a fan of his. It's all well saying he is young and will develop but for me he lacks the skills to do some of the basics. Yes he has played well in the past but for me if we want to improve he can't be starting games consistently. I'd look to loan him out to another spfl team for experience and to toughen him up

I think he'll struggle to get a starting slot in our team

This is the thing with young players,very few are going to be good enough for us but they can't improve without playing.Rock and a hard place comes to mind

Wouldn't be too upset if he went out on loan but to a decent league please because he does have potential.Hopefully an English league 1 side or an other spl team,the lower leagues won't help him.

It's no surprise his best games last year were against the taigs and sheep. Games where he can just win the ball back and it's his job done.

Last night and for the majority of domestic games he isn't good enough on the ball. We need someone that can control the game from deep.

He's still young and I'm sure he'll get a reasonable amount of game time but he has a lot to improve on long term.

Broke things up well last night, kept things simple. Not particularly creative but wasn't far from playing a killer through ball 2nd half.

He's undoubtedly good enough, very athletic and strong in the challenge. Let him do that role, bring in a creative central / attacking midfielder, and we're on to a winner.

His technical ability isnt great but what supposed centre back is truly great technically apart from the top ones ? 

He has time to improve that area of his game if he continues in the midfield, doesn't help his cause when candeias is playing centre mid and is basically a man down in that position.

People clearly have short memories McCrorie was one of the only positives from last season, to write him off after 1 game in the middle of July is lunacy.

As I've said on previous threads ,he is a c/h or right back playing in a position he neither has the experience or ability to perform in .He is trying to win every ball and instead of positioning himself properly he is getting dragged all over the place and ending up sliding around like a big fuckin junior. He will have to work really hard on the technical side of what is a position where .brains are required as much as physicality.Give him a Busquets video for his Christmas Stevie.

He shines when teams are on attack, he can snuff out passes and put in some wonderful tackles before anything gets through to challenge the defence. He's an anchorman. 

Over time he'll develop the skills to play further forward but it's not a necessity in the role he currently plays. Given the character he seems to have I'd be surprised if he was totally satisfied with his overall game atm, he'll do what's needed to press on and fill the potential we all believe he has. 

Although I don't think he should be a regular starter just yet. 

His main issue as a defensive midfielder is his lack of defensive intelligence and anticipation. He sees the ball, reacts and dives in. If it works and he wins the ball and we keep possession, fine. However when it doesn't work he's out of the game on the deck while the opposition stroll into the empty space left behind.

A good defensive midfielder should be reading the play so they don't have to fly into last ditch tackles. 

Don't know if that's something that can be taught, or like a goalscorers instinct it's something you either have or you dont, but I'd trust Gerrard/McCallisters judgment if they think he can develop into an effective midfielder.