Gerrard on fans' reaction to Windass substitution

The new Ibrox gaffer insists that Windass’ position on the right flank won’t be his long-term slot in the side.

And Gerrard has backed the former Accrington Stanley player to come good. He said: “I felt the reaction from the supporters when Josh came off against Shkupi.

“But he’ll deal with that because he’s a strong lad – and the only way to win over supporters is by scoring.

“Josh worked his socks off in the game and could easily have had a couple of goals. He will play in different positions – I’ve told all the 
players that.

“We’ll play different systems and formations. And if we feel Josh is the best man for a certain role then he’ll play.

“In terms of the reaction, we all know what’s going to come. That’s what you sign up for at a club as big as Rangers.

“The fans love it. They’re desperate for goals, to be entertained and win. So are we. We all feel it on the sidelines as well.

“But the supporters will have gone home on Thursday night feeling exactly like me – pleased with a lot of it but 
feeling we should have won by more.

“I’ve only known Josh for three and a half weeks. I’m still trying to work out the character of not just him but all the 
players at Rangers.

“We’re still getting used to each other and are building relationships.

“What I will say is that he has applied himself really well since day one.

“I can see the players are keen to impress me. Against Shkupi I saw players trying to force the play and get in the headlines for the right reasons.

“It’s difficult to criticise that. That comes from honesty and players wanting to do well for the club and themselves.

“But we just need to relax sometimes, play and let it come.

“When you force it, you become 
disjointed and we were like that in the first half on Thursday night.

“In the second half we were more 
controlled, passed the ball well and 
created better chances.”

Another sub who impressed against Shkupi was Ryan Jack who improved Rangers’ tempo against the Macedonians and made a difference.

He could be in line for a start in Skopje for the second leg on Tuesday night and Gerrard is convinced they’ve got enough to go through.

He said: “Ryan was very professional when he came on.

“I felt we lacked a bit of discipline in the first half in that No.8 position (where Daniel Candeias was playing).

“When Ryan came on he gave us a 
calmness, made us pass and change the direction of play.

“That’s what the game was about, switching the play and getting in down the side because they had a lot of men in the middle of the pitch.

“I was really pleased for Ryan.

“And I’m confident we can go over there on Tuesday and score a goal.

“We don’t have to do it in the first two minutes so we won’t be going gung-ho.

“They’re the team who have to make the decision to play differently from Thursday night.

“If they camp in their own half for 90 per cent of the game it restricts them from getting chances on our goal.

“I’m sure they’ll have a different approach and when they take risks we have to be there to punish them.”

Gerrard was never going to be fazed by his first game in charge at a packed Ibrox and says it lived up to his expectations.

But he admitted, after less than a month in the job, he’s still getting used to being in the dugout, not on the pitch.

He said: “Nothing surprised me about the first game here. When you’re still searching for fitness and sharpness, whoever you draw in the Europa League is going to be tricky.

“There were a few nerves from us but I expected that. The players gave me everything but I’m a perfectionist.

“I’m always searching for things we can do better.

“Of course, it’s different from playing. You have to deal with an awful lot more thinking and preparation.

“You have to make big decisions and some of them have nothing to do with football.

“But I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t driven by success. I want to give this job everything. I know I’m in a huge job at a big club so I have to keep improving.”

12 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Another manager who sees something the rest of us dont all i see is a fukin dud

I think most can see there is something in him, but getting the best out of him consistently is a near enough impossible task.

Possibly with Windass it’s less to do with his ability and more character. 

Theres lots of reports about how well he does in training with the goals he scores and runs but he just can’t take that to a game.  He does try and I feel sorry for the lad but he doesn’t seem to have the mentality to play for a club our size with the level of support we have.

The hard thing to swallow is that Windass will feel victimised because of this and Gerrards support will only feed his warped, egotistical view. He believes he owes us nothing. He is the antithesis of a man. Spoiled, lazy pretty boy who should get down on his knees and beg forgiveness for every penny he has stolen from us. 

And he's a thick cunt

The only positive thing I take from that interview is that Gerrard noticed the fans reaction to a player, who, has the talent but rarely the application getting hauled off. 

He should be made aware of fans feelings and reactions to sub standard performers (and I’m far from a Windass hater)

44 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Whilst I can applaud yet another communiqué, Stevie please switch it off FFS. We don't need to hear from you every fuckng day and we don't need excuses for a player who has been a loser and a major let down under four managers now. 

Stevie, what you see is real. There is no getting better from him. Four managers now. He's a fucking donkey. Stop publicly backng him and embarassng yourself. He WILL repeatedly  let you down. Accrington fucking Stanley he was and Accrington Stanley he remains.

Windy is the type of player who get managers the sack. He aint prime beef, but cheap mince that's gone off.

The eyes don't lie. The media will suck this up and later use it against you, so do yourself a favout and say less, as in the Windy case, the less said the better..  

What a load of shit that is, if you think he doesn’t improve or didn’t improve last season from his first then you’re  a mong

58 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

The new Ibrox gaffer insists that Windass’ position on the right flank won’t be his long-term slot in the side.

Then why play him there? Was it just to give this useless variety of a two legged whippet a run out in a game we had to win?  Stop making excuses for shite. It doesn't polish.

And Gerrard has backed the former Accrington Stanley player to come good. He said: “I felt the reaction from the supporters when Josh came off against Shkupi.

If you felt it, are you saying we are all fucking wrong and blind ? You will be the fourth to back him. Look what happened to the other three. Accrington fucking Stanley he was and Accrington Stanley he remains.

“But he’ll deal with that because he’s a strong lad – and the only way to win over supporters is by scoring.

What he is not, is strong. Neither in character nor in play. One who spits the dummy out at fans and constantly hides in games. 

“Josh worked his socks off in the game and could easily have had a couple of goals. He will play in different positions – I’ve told all the 
players that.

Worked his socks off at a different game, but yes he could have easily scored, but donkeys don't do football.

“We’ll play different systems and formations. And if we feel Josh is the best man for a certain role then he’ll play.

Three managers have already tried and failed and they're all gone. The stuff aint there. Stop wasting time on an abject loser, or you will be the next casualty. 

“In terms of the reaction, we all know what’s going to come. That’s what you sign up for at a club as big as Rangers.

“The fans love it. They’re desperate for goals, to be entertained and win. So are we. We all feel it on the sidelines as well.

“But the supporters will have gone home on Thursday night feeling exactly like me – pleased with a lot of it but 
feeling we should have won by more.

“I’ve only known Josh for three and a half weeks. I’m still trying to work out the character of not just him but all the 
players at Rangers.

“We’re still getting used to each other and are building relationships.

“What I will say is that he has applied himself really well since day one.

“I can see the players are keen to impress me. Against Shkupi I saw players trying to force the play and get in the headlines for the right reasons.

“It’s difficult to criticise that. That comes from honesty and players wanting to do well for the club and themselves.

“But we just need to relax sometimes, play and let it come.

“When you force it, you become 
disjointed and we were like that in the first half on Thursday night.

“In the second half we were more 
controlled, passed the ball well and 
created better chances.”

Another sub who impressed against Shkupi was Ryan Jack who improved Rangers’ tempo against the Macedonians and made a difference.

He could be in line for a start in Skopje for the second leg on Tuesday night and Gerrard is convinced they’ve got enough to go through.

He said: “Ryan was very professional when he came on.

“I felt we lacked a bit of discipline in the first half in that No.8 position (where Daniel Candeias was playing).

“When Ryan came on he gave us a 
calmness, made us pass and change the direction of play.

“That’s what the game was about, switching the play and getting in down the side because they had a lot of men in the middle of the pitch.

“I was really pleased for Ryan.

“And I’m confident we can go over there on Tuesday and score a goal.

“We don’t have to do it in the first two minutes so we won’t be going gung-ho.

“They’re the team who have to make the decision to play differently from Thursday night.

“If they camp in their own half for 90 per cent of the game it restricts them from getting chances on our goal.

“I’m sure they’ll have a different approach and when they take risks we have to be there to punish them.”

Gerrard was never going to be fazed by his first game in charge at a packed Ibrox and says it lived up to his expectations.

But he admitted, after less than a month in the job, he’s still getting used to being in the dugout, not on the pitch.

He said: “Nothing surprised me about the first game here. When you’re still searching for fitness and sharpness, whoever you draw in the Europa League is going to be tricky.

“There were a few nerves from us but I expected that. The players gave me everything but I’m a perfectionist.

“I’m always searching for things we can do better.

“Of course, it’s different from playing. You have to deal with an awful lot more thinking and preparation.

“You have to make big decisions and some of them have nothing to do with football.

“But I wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t driven by success. I want to give this job everything. I know I’m in a huge job at a big club so I have to keep improving.”

That is as bad an article I have seen.

Excuses made for a player who every cunt on the planet knows is a spineless, egotistical waster, robbing us of a wage.

It didn't take Windy long to become the teacher's pet under manager number four. 

I am both embarassed and worried if Gerrard can be fooled by this waster. I can but only hope he isn't and he is earmarked for the door, but it doesn't do his cred any good to single out a player who is clearly shite and make so many excuses for it.

14 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

I think windass is alright got the talent but doesn't use it 90mins.

And the scum are just quaking in their boots.

He's becoming that bad, he can't even score goals against shite.

He doesn't add anything to the midfield, so can you tell us what he brings that will deliver us a title.