Gerrard giving youth opportunities.

52 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

Ive nothing against Chelsea but the model they use for their youth set up is a disgrace and should be investigated by UEFA. It seems an awful lot of the time they get boys to go there simply to stop other teams getting them. How else can anybody explain the ridiculous amount of players they have out on loan.

The Benfica model

Whether kids are getting a chance because they are good enough, because the squad is poor, or because SG is demonstrating a lack of quality alternatives is not their issue.

Get a chance, their job is to take it, and make it impossible for the manager to ignore when thinking about picking his 1st team.

13 hours ago, Gazza1212 said:

Look at the names ahead of him in that Chelsea midfield.

The best he can look forward to is being farmed out like the countless other "promising youngsters" who've went before him. 

Also the ones who have gone before him.

16 hours ago, MurrayWilson said:

Ive nothing against Chelsea but the model they use for their youth set up is a disgrace and should be investigated by UEFA. It seems an awful lot of the time they get boys to go there simply to stop other teams getting them. How else can anybody explain the ridiculous amount of players they have out on loan.

It's ironic this post has appeared at this time because yesterday I got a visit from a young guy who apparently was an outstanding youth goalkeeper for the scum (he is some relation to a mate of mine). anyway, we got talking about Rangers-Gerrard-football in general and the name of Billy Gilmour cropped up.  He reckons that Gilmour will go straight into the Chelsea first team squad next season when he turns 18 yrs of age. I reminded him that the last time he was in Australia, he said the same thing about that "wonderkid" who had gone to Chelsea from the scum (Islam Feruz) that nobody ever hears of him these days.

Anyway, after seeing your comment, I went and did a quick check on how many players are actually signed by Chelsea; fucking hell, it's a good job Abramovich is loaded...1st team squad=29 players. Other players under contract=24,  players out on loan=14,  players in U/23's Academy squad=30, players in the U/18's Academy squad=22, including Billy Gilmour.

Maybe Islam Feruz who is now 22 yrs old should be a warning to Gilmour, because, since 2014, Feruz has been loaned out to 5 different clubs (including Hibs) and has only made 20 appearances either as a substitute, or being substituted with a total that would be lucky to reach 120 minutes of football.

4 hours ago, Ozblue said:

It's ironic this post has appeared at this time because yesterday I got a visit from a young guy who apparently was an outstanding youth goalkeeper for the scum (he is some relation to a mate of mine). anyway, we got talking about Rangers-Gerrard-football in general and the name of Billy Gilmour cropped up.  He reckons that Gilmour will go straight into the Chelsea first team squad next season when he turns 18 yrs of age. I reminded him that the last time he was in Australia, he said the same thing about that "wonderkid" who had gone to Chelsea from the scum (Islam Feruz) that nobody ever hears of him these days.

Anyway, after seeing your comment, I went and did a quick check on how many players are actually signed by Chelsea; fucking hell, it's a good job Abramovich is loaded...1st team squad=29 players. Other players under contract=24,  players out on loan=14,  players in U/23's Academy squad=30, players in the U/18's Academy squad=22, including Billy Gilmour.

Maybe Islam Feruz who is now 22 yrs old should be a warning to Gilmour, because, since 2014, Feruz has been loaned out to 5 different clubs (including Hibs) and has only made 20 appearances either as a substitute, or being substituted with a total that would be lucky to reach 120 minutes of football.

I think that Feruz is the typical story at Chelsea. Went from being a stand out to an also ran in that bloated youth set up. Gilmour has remained a stand out and has recently signed his first pro contract. Billy seems much less prolific on twitter and, hopefully, less likely to fall by the wayside.

Chelsea wouldn't have been my choice to develop a career at that age. Spurs, Liverpool, Man United and Southampton all have a better development record of promoting players through the system. Chelsea win plenty of youth level trophies but few go on to the first team.

5 hours ago, Ozblue said:

Feruz was easily distracted by the bright light and perks that come with being a Chelsea player and quickly went off the rails. Billy’s an intelligent, hard-working kid who seems to have his head screwed on. 

29 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I think that Feruz is the typical story at Chelsea. Went from being a stand out to an also ran in that bloated youth set up. Gilmour has remained a stand out and has recently signed his first pro contract. Billy seems much less prolific on twitter and, hopefully, less likely to fall by the wayside.

Chelsea wouldn't have been my choice to develop a career at that age. Spurs, Liverpool, Man United and Southampton all have a better development record of promoting players through the system. Chelsea win plenty of youth level trophies but few go on to the first team.

I actually can't even remember seeing Feruz playing at all, even for Hibs, so I have no idea what he was like or what he's like now, but his history over the past four seasons or so indicates that he's going nowhere fast in his career. Gilmour, on the other hand, seems to be progressing well, so I hope he keeps it up.

Every time I hear about a young player getting big raves about his ability then going to a massive club in England and being paid a fortune, I immediately remember Peter Marinello. aka, "The next George Best" who went to Arsenal from Hibs as a 19yr old in 1970 for a fee of £100,000, (an Arsenal club record) at the time, played a total of 51 games in three seasons, then his career plummeted rapidly into oblivion.

I certainly would not have gone to Chelsea if I had a choice of clubs.

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Feruz was easily distracted by the bright light and perks that come with being a Chelsea player and quickly went off the rails. Billy’s an intelligent, hard-working kid who seems to have his head screwed on. 

That's exactly what my visitor told me about Feruz. I have no worries that young Gilmour will not have his feet firmly on the ground, but my worry is that he will get swallowed up in the Chelsea machine and that not get the same opportunity to breakthrough to the senior squad as he might have got at another club.

4 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

I actually can't even remember seeing Feruz playing at all, even for Hibs, so I have no idea what he was like or what he's like now, but his history over the past four seasons or so indicates that he's going nowhere fast in his career. Gilmour, on the other hand, seems to be progressing well, so I hope he keeps it up.

Every time I hear about a young player getting big raves about his ability then going to a massive club in England and being paid a fortune, I immediately remember Peter Marinello. aka, "The next George Best" who went to Arsenal from Hibs as a 19yr old in 1970 for a fee of £100,000, (an Arsenal club record) at the time, played a total of 51 games in three seasons, then his career plummeted rapidly into oblivion.

I certainly would not have gone to Chelsea if I had a choice of clubs.

I remember Marinello too. The George Best tag weighed heavily on many promising youngsters back then. The '70s saw a lot of players not fulfilling early promise and many big moves failed to live up to their promise.

With the facilities available today the only thing that decides is the player themselves. They need to have the right mentality. I've seen a lot of naturally talented players drift down the leagues through lack of application. 

6 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

I remember Marinello too. The George Best tag weighed heavily on many promising youngsters back then. The '70s saw a lot of players not fulfilling early promise and many big moves failed to live up to their promise.

With the facilities available today the only thing that decides is the player themselves. They need to have the right mentality. I've seen a lot of naturally talented players drift down the leagues through lack of application. 

The use of "the next (insert name) tag" was a millstone that no young player needed and did them more harm than good. I have played with, against, and coached many young players with more talent than they needed, yet for various reasons they never fulfilled their potential.

1 hour ago, Ozblue said:

That's exactly what my visitor told me about Feruz. I have no worries that young Gilmour will not have his feet firmly on the ground, but my worry is that he will get swallowed up in the Chelsea machine and that not get the same opportunity to breakthrough to the senior squad as he might have got at another club.

There’s a real chance that he will get swallowed up and fall through the cracks but I can genuinely say he’s the most talented player I’ve ever seen at that age. Not even just in the way that he does flicks and tricks etc but in how well he uses the ball and the maturity with which he does so. 

Personally, I find myself going from one side to the other over what I think would be best for him - I can see the good and bad in both - but think the only thing that will stop him making it (there or anywhere else) his himself.

He’s been in with the first-team a few times at Cobham already and has seemingly really impressed the staff down there. 

44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

There’s a real chance that he will get swallowed up and fall through the cracks but I can genuinely say he’s the most talented player I’ve ever seen at that age. Not even just in the way that he does flicks and tricks etc but in how well he uses the ball and the maturity with which he does so. 

Personally, I find myself going from one side to the other over what I think would be best for him - I can see the good and bad in both - but think the only thing that will stop him making it (there or anywhere else) his himself.

He’s been in with the first-team a few times at Cobham already and has seemingly really impressed the staff down there. 

Anybody who can't see the talent of Gilmour in all facets of his play really needs to watch another sport. He has everything going for him that makes him potentially a world-class midfielder. Without pinning a "new (insert name) tag" on him, he does remind me of players from many years ago who had a brain 3 steps ahead of their teammates.

I agree with you in the part I underlined, because all it needs is a bad coach or manager who tries to make him into something he's not that could see him go backward in his career, as opposed to a manager/ coach who recognises that natural talent and nurtures it to the maximum.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:26, Drunk and disorderly. said:

It is early days but it seems Stevie will run with youngsters if he thinks they are good enough. We had a few players under 21 playing on Thursday and I thought they did well. If anything the likes of Middleton at 18 years old stood out. My MOTM despite the fact he only played 30 minutes.

I think it's refreshing to see our manager give the younger lads an opportunity. Something we all longed for in the lower divisions.

Pedro did the same thing last season with Bates and McCrorie so it's not like Gerrard is the first guy to play youths since we went down.  I get your point though and it would've been wise to buy up all the best young players in Scotland and bring them through our team while in the lower leagues.  We might've ended up with guys like Andrew Robertson and I remember a few guys on here raving about him while he was still at Queens'.  I wish we had bought Ryan Fraser from Aberdeen when he was available for a few hundred thousand the lad must be worth £10m+ now.  Shaun Hutchinson while he was at Motherwell would've been another good one to get.

7 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

Anybody who can't see the talent of Gilmour in all facets of his play really needs to watch another sport. He has everything going for him that makes him potentially a world-class midfielder. Without pinning a "new (insert name) tag" on him, he does remind me of players from many years ago who had a brain 3 steps ahead of their teammates.

I agree with you in the part I underlined, because all it needs is a bad coach or manager who tries to make him into something he's not that could see him go backward in his career, as opposed to a manager/ coach who recognises that natural talent and nurtures it to the maximum.

One thing I noticed is he seems to have taken a wee bit of a jump in height over the last 12 months and tbh, waiting for him to physically grow is really the biggest drawback he has as a player imo. He’s put a lot of work into his strength on and off the ball and it shows. 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

One thing I noticed is he seems to have taken a wee bit of a jump in height over the last 12 months and tbh, waiting for him to physically grow is really the biggest drawback he has as a player imo. He’s put a lot of work into his strength on and off the ball and it shows. 

I am in total agreement about the physical aspect because when I was his age, I had the skill but I'd get blown over in a decent wind. It's pretty difficult playing as a midfielder when you are about knee high to a grasshopper weighing around 7 stone soaking wet and playing against a guy who is around 6 foot tall and 15 stone in weight. I'm sure the nutritionists and experts at Chelsea will help him overcome any deficiencies he has.