Solid at the back but lacking a striker

scottyc06

Thought we looked in total control tonight, they had a spell of about 5/10 minutes in the first half but even then didn’t look much like scoring! 

Over the two legs I think we could have & should have scored about 7 or 8, we created plenty of chances but seem to be lacking a goal scorer. Morelos just isn’t good enough, Murphy & Windass put a lot in tonight but were lacking a bit of quality when it was needed. 

Hopefully if tonight’s shows anything, it’s that we need an out & out goal scorer! A Boyd style player who barely leaves the box would be ideal! 

I hope Gerrard realises now that when our current forward players are off their game they look like they've never seen a ball before let alone know what to do with it. And unfortunately experience tells us they are off it far more than they're ever on it. 

I was hugely worried when we went into last season with Miller, Morelos and Herrera as our striking options, at the moment we're looking even weaker so hopefully we see some movement soon. 

I predict Sadiq, Coulibally and Ejaria will come in and be mainstays. I think what we really need is a wide attacker, on top of the cover we'll be getting at centre half.

Remember we were without the above three, and Rossiter, Dorrans, Arfield and John. I think if we can move bring in a winger, and maybe another striker if we qualify for the Europa (don't laugh) we'll be fine. Otherwise I don't see why we'd have 3 strikers when we only play one.

10 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I predict Sadiq, Coulibally and Ejaria will come in and be mainstays. I think what we really need is a wide attacker, on top of the cover we'll be getting at centre half.

Remember we were without the above three, and Rossiter, Dorrans, Arfield and John. I think if we can move bring in a winger, and maybe another striker if we qualify for the Europa (don't laugh) we'll be fine. Otherwise I don't see why we'd have 3 strikers when we only play one.

Seriously mate? Do you think any or all of them names you mentioned will come close to making a difference?

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Seriously mate? Do you think any or all of them names you mentioned will come close to making a difference?

I don't have a clue, but I think that's what the manager has brought them in for, so when he's played them that's when he'll be judged.

Every chance we'll go out in the next round if we continue with these players and play in this fashion. 

Not a chance of making the group stages unless there are 3 or 4 quality additions in the next week or two. We are still miles away from the standard required. 

Just now, Inigo said:

I don't have a clue, but I think that's what the manager has brought them in for, so when he's played them that's when he'll be judged.

I hear you but I have this horrid feeling the manager has seriously under estimated the task - we are a poor poor team - everyone coming out tonight were saying the same in amongst the singing 

2 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Yes they've been brought in to start, tonight made that clear IMO.

Just now, K.A.I said:

I hear you but I have this horrid feeling the manager has seriously under estimated the task - we are a poor poor team - everyone coming out tonight were saying the same in amongst the singing 

Maybe, but I really don't get why we'd be worried about that til we'd actually seen them.

As I said, the bit that's been reformed in the two games... the back line... looks much better, so I think he's due at least the chance to play the guys he brings in before we worry too much.

I don’t think tonight was all about a flashy type performance it was a very solid professional performance defence looked good midfield lacked a little fluidity at times but I don’t think Morelos helped that seemed to have a touch like a donkey his overall play was very poor I enjoyed him last season but so far he looks way off pace hopefully Sadiq gives us something different but overall I’m happy with the progress so far after 3 games I think once Ejaria, Arfield & Coulibaly get up to speed we will see some improvement at the other end  

9 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

When fit, those players are a much better improvement than some of the performers tonight.

Just now, bluenoz said:

When fit, those players are a much better improvement than some of the performers tonight.

Based on what ? You’ve never seen them play more than 20 minutes at best and never at worst for us 

we haven’t bought well and we still have too much shite at the club 

a half decent team destroys us tonight 

Just now, Big Al II said:

The questions becomes with Flannagan, McCrorie who can play CH do we need to spend £3m+ on another CH. Assuming we don't have too much more to spend I think I'd rather it went on a creative player.

Go into transfer section and say that and have the flip flippers round on you 

4 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

The questions becomes with Flannagan, McCrorie who can play CH do we need to spend £3m+ on another CH. Assuming we don't have too much more to spend I think I'd rather it went on a creative player.

Neither of those is ever a centre half. Barring disasters as a last resort. We definitely need at least one more of decent quality.

4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Neither of those is ever a centre half. Barring disasters as a last resort. We definitely need at least one more of decent quality.

I think as temporary cover for injury they'd be fine. I'd personally rather the money was spent in the last third. That's assuming it's one or the other though.

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Based on what ? You’ve never seen them play more than 20 minutes at best and never at worst for us 

we haven’t bought well and we still have too much shite at the club 

a half decent team destroys us tonight 

Arfield and Dorrans are pretty good on their day ( when fit ), no point arguing Rossiter with you Kai and admittedly I haven't seen the destroyer yet. What I do know is McCrorie is NOT a midfield player although it appears Gerrard disagrees.