Solid at the back but lacking a striker

scottyc06

Just now, bluenoz said:

Arfield and Dorrans are pretty good on their day ( when fit ), no point arguing Rossiter with you Kai and admittedly I haven't seen the destroyer yet. What I do know is McCrorie is NOT a midfield player although it appears Gerrard disagrees.

Do you just say stuff to make yourself feel better mate? 

2 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

I think as temporary cover for injury they'd be fine. I'd personally rather the money was spent in the last third. That's assuming it's one or the other though.

What happens if Goldson is injured for two months? We'd be going with McCrorie at centre half, who we all know isn't a centre half, or Flanagan who's small, weaker and clearly a fullback.

We'd be wide open. It's a massive risk to take not to have a decent backup option 1/ to come in if needed and 2/ to push the other two to perform.

I'd rather another centre back. It's what we have fewest of.

Just now, Inigo said:

What happens if Goldson is injured for two months? We'd be going with McCrorie at centre half, who we all know isn't a centre half, or Flanagan who's small, weaker and clearly a fullback.

We'd be wide open. It's a massive risk to take not to have a decent backup option 1/ to come in if needed and 2/ to push the other two to perform.

You are taking about cover though 

cover 

whilst we need first team picks in midfield and attack 

Just now, K.A.I said:

You are taking about cover though 

cover 

whilst we need first team picks in midfield and attack 

Call it what you like,  going into a season with two centre backs you trust would be insanity. 

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Call it what you like,  going into a season with two centre backs you trust would be insanity. 

Think about what your saying though 

go into a season with no options worth while in midfield and attack just because you think we need cover at the back? (Which we do)

7 minutes ago, Inigo said:

I'd rather another centre back. It's what we have fewest of.

We don't need to spend £3.5m for cover for injuries, we simply can't afford to.

Just now, K.A.I said:

Think about what your saying though 

go into a season with no options worth while in midfield and attack just because you think we need cover at the back? (Which we do)

We're not, though. We'll go in to it with Sadiq and Morelos fighting for one striker's place. We'll go in with Coullibally, Dorrans, Ejaria and Arfield playing in midfield. He's already brought in his first picks for the midfield and forward areas as far as I can see, we're just judging most of them as not good enough before having seen much of them. 

It'll be something like Coulibally, Ejaria and Arfield, with Dorrans, Windass and Rossiter as other options. If Coulibally, Arfield and Ejaria are players, that's potentially fine. If not, it's potentially pish. But it's not like he hasn't addressed the positions.

I think we'll find he's already made his bed in midfield, including in terms of depth. He has zero depth at centre back. He's already strengthened, or thinks he has, in midfield and attack and that's why he's looking for another centre back.  i reckon he won't spend that £3 million elsewhere because he thinks he's done his business there, but needs more quality at the back. Whether it's good business, time will tell.

Bottom line is you need at least 3 centre backs you believe are quality.

8 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

We don't need to spend £3.5m for cover for injuries, we simply can't afford to.

It's not just cover for injuries. Besides, you say that as if it's not vital to have cover in that position.

Or look at it this way. How would you regard £3 million each for 2 starter centre halves and £1.2 million for a backup?

You could just as easily present it that way. Maybe katic will be the back up.

4 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Can’t give the strikers grief if no cunt is setting up chances for them. 

Really badly need 1/2 creative midfielders 

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

yes he should because he was pish. it still doesn't negate the need for creative midfielders though

I'm not arguing we don't need creativity.

I'm querying why the poster above suggests we shouldn't give our shite strikers criticism as if none of it is their fault.

3 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

So Morelos shouldn't get criticism?

Not saying that, Morelos is the least of our worries if we can’t even muster up a few chances in the middle of the park.

Could of put a 20m striker up there and he would of struggled with the supply from the midfield 

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm not arguing we don't need creativity.

I'm querying why the poster above suggests we shouldn't give our shite strikers criticism as if none of it is their fault.

there's not a midfielder  or forward that started tonight hasn't  left themselves open to criticism

40 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I hear you but I have this horrid feeling the manager has seriously under estimated the task - we are a poor poor team - everyone coming out tonight were saying the same in amongst the singing 

I don’t think we’re as bad as that, had we taken half the chances over the two legs this would have been very very comfortable! I honestly think we are just lacking a goal scorer, we could maybe do with a central play maker as well but I honestly don’t think we’re far away! 

I know tonight was like watching a Sunday league match but think the circumstances may have had a lot to do with that! We never had to go into second gear tonight! 

5 minutes ago, ChampionsAgain said:

Not saying that, Morelos is the least of our worries if we can’t even muster up a few chances in the middle of the park.

Could of put a 20m striker up there and he would of struggled with the supply from the midfield 

We created enough chances over the two legs to win by 7 or 8 had they taken their chances! 

It's easy to single-out Morelos and many do every week, but his two partners in crime Murphy and Windass were equally guilty of missing chances, in fact, both missed decent chances laid on by Morelos.  

Are Sadiq and Coulibaly available for the next round and when is it?  

Wondering if playing with two midfielders breaking up play is going to be a feature this season or was this dictated by a lack of options.  

17 minutes ago, Inigo said:

It's not just cover for injuries. Besides, you say that as if it's not vital to have cover in that position.

Or look at it this way. How would you regard £3 million each for 2 starter centre halves and £1.2 million for a backup?

You could just as easily present it that way. Maybe katic will be the back up.

Well i hope Katic changes SG mind and he spends the 3.5m on a midfielder or striker. If Sadiq gets injured we're royally fucked and that's without seeing him play.

4 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

It's easy to single-out Morelos and many do every week, but his two partners in crime Murphy and Windass were equally guilty of missing chances, in fact, both missed decent chances laid on by Morelos.  

Wondering if playing with two midfielders breaking up play is going to be a feature this season or was this dictated by a lack of options.  

Next week and they are available.

6 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Morelos is so far away from a footballer at the moment it's frightening. I can't believe the change in him. Hopefully he comess good.

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Morelos is so far away from a footballer at the moment it's frightening. I can't believe the change in him. Hopefully he comess good.

I'd say hes a confidence player.  Add to that his age.  If he'd put away one against celtic then we'd be seeing a different player.  You can see he's hot-headed, reacts to the crowd.  Getting pelters at Ibrox and them cunts ironically shouting his name has badly affected him.  If we had an older established calmer man to play with him, take him under his wing, then we'd see the old Buffalo.

I'd prefer not to comment on Windass.

22 minutes ago, scottyc06 said:

We created enough chances over the two legs to win by 7 or 8 had they taken their chances! 

I cannot think of 7-8 clear cut chances over the 2 legs. 

Windass should of scored a header in the second half of the first game, that’s about it.

Maybe Middleton should of scored tonight? Only clear cut chances I can think of