Where Will We Finish in the 2018/9 Season?

2018/9 Season  

318 members have voted

1. 1. What position do you think we will finish in?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/07/18 at 07:43

Think defence has improved, but still don't think we have bridged the gap in any meaningful way. I think after the initial excitement of SG wears off we will then see how capable a manager he is. Due to his lack of experience, I will guess 3rd. I felt more confident the previous two seasons.

I think 2nd,as long as we  bring in a player who can

score goals,and a good midfielder,if we don't we will

fight for 3rd or 4th place.

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

There’s no time for that , they need to need to be stopped next season at the latest 

What needs to happen and what will happen are two different things, we don't have the financial clout to do it any other way.

Don't think we'll be challenging for the title unfortunately, as I suspect the taigs will be much improved from last season, our initial buzz when Gerrard joined has worn off and the party line now seems to be to keep giving our underperforming forwards another chance to prove themselves. 

I really hope SG / MA have something up their sleeves and at least 2 good quality attacking players will be brought in, not just another couple of inexperienced going lads to develop for someone else's benefit. If so, the mininum I'd expect is 80+ points and seriously challenging for both cups. If not then it'll be another battle for 2nd, although Aberdeen are due a bad season and will miss McLean and Hivs will miss McGeough and McGinn, so both will be weaker than last season. 

In all honesty, I'd take 2nd this year if it meant we were progressing. 

If we could make the Europa League group stages and win a domestic trophy, i'd be content. Providing that we were obviously moving forward and could challenge for the title properly the following year

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

We sadly don't have that much time 

It's been 7 years since we won a meaningful trophy 

Year on year it's got worse and we have went back the way signing dross and more dross 

Your point is valid but I can't imagine any bears will have the patience now 

There's no other viable option, building is the only way to do it. The board have fucked the chance to do that over the last few years with awful appointments, this is last throw of the dice, hopefully they've got it right. But it will still need to be incremental IMO. I appreciate we don't have the patience for it but unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it.

We may get incredibly lucky and it all clicks, barring that each signing has to be looking to longer term, augmented with good loans that we hopefully have an option on.

I suspect a strong second placed finish but quality attacking reinforcements are obviously required for that to be a reality.

Gerrard has been 100% right to prioritise improving the defence and spine of the team before anything else. I'm surprised so many people have criticised him for doing so. The defence we had last season, including the goalkeeper, has to be one of the worst performing in our entire history. A clean sheet is worth more than a goal on average and its exactly what Walter kept in mind when he returned for his second spell. McGregor, Flanagan, Katic and Goldson look to be huge upgrades on Foderingham, John (defensively), Alves, Martin/McCrorie already. Build from the back.

Having said that, while I still believe in Morelos, a blind man could see how weak we are up top. We can't go in to the first game against Aberdeen with just him and Sadiq. And I'm unconvinced that Arfield and Ejaria are going to be reliable creative options against that lot. In an ideal world, we'd bring in two more strikers and a quality attacking midfielder. Before Middleton appeared, I'd have wanted a wide player in too but he looks more than capable of stepping up albeit his appearances so far have been against poor opposition.

Its only July. Gerrard isn't stupid. I feel we'll have a squad by the start of the season that will be strong enough to finish a comfortable second at least.

2nd is best we’ll get as it stands. Still need at least one creative midfielder and at least one striker who can net regularly  and even then need to avoid injuries- defensively we look more solid but what I’ve seen so far is much and such as last season 

12 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

I suspect a strong second placed finish but quality attacking reinforcements are obviously required for that to be a reality.

Gerrard has been 100% right to prioritise improving the defence and spine of the team before anything else. I'm surprised so many people have criticised him for doing so. The defence we had last season, including the goalkeeper, has to be one of the worst performing in our entire history. A clean sheet is worth more than a goal on average and its exactly what Walter kept in mind when he returned for his second spell. McGregor, Flanagan, Katic and Goldson look to be huge upgrades on Foderingham, John (defensively), Alves, Martin/McCrorie already. Build from the back.

Having said that, while I still believe in Morelos, a blind man could see how weak we are up top. We can't go in to the first game against Aberdeen with just him and Sadiq. And I'm unconvinced that Arfield and Ejaria are going to be reliable creative options against that lot. In an ideal world, we'd bring in two more strikers and a quality attacking midfielder. Before Middleton appeared, I'd have wanted a wide player in too but he looks more than capable of stepping up albeit his appearances so far have been against poor opposition.

Its only July. Gerrard isn't stupid. I feel we'll have a squad by the start of the season that will be strong enough to finish a comfortable second at least.

This.

Genuinely don't understand people thinking that we're going to finish third, our two main rivals for 2nd in Hibs and Aberdeen have both gotten significantly weaker (Hibs have lost McGeouch and look like they're losing McGinn while Aberdeen have lost Christie and Rooney) while we've gotten stronger.

10 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Utterly pointless thread, let's see what squad we have come September 1st. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re out the title race by then. Was the case on September 1st last year.

13 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re out the title race by then. Was the case on September 1st last year.

No we weren’t:lol:we had a right good chance until the 3-2 game considering the mess we were in regarding the manager situation 

1 hour ago, RJMcGregor said:

Think defence has improved, but still don't think we have bridged the gap in any meaningful way. I think after the initial excitement of SG wears off we will then see how capable a manager he is. Due to his lack of experience, I will guess 3rd. I felt more confident the previous two seasons.

I think we need to wait until our new centre backs have dealt with the up and at them physical don’t give you a minute spl strikers before we can make judgment , big alves looked immense against Marseille and Sheffield Wednesday last summer , first game against Motherwell he thought fuck this these cunts are slide tackling me and was an imposter the rest of his time at the club 

1 minute ago, gazza27 said:

No we weren’t:lol:we had a right good chance until the 3-2 game considering the mess we were in regarding the manager situation 

Not for me mate. We were always one bad result away from meltdown, happened with Murty against Hamilton and St Johnstone, was well before that Tim’s game.

7 minutes ago, gazza27 said:

We were never anywhere near the title, summed up the overexcitement and wishful thinking we do best

Expecting a team that was unbeaten the year before to magically lose a superior goal difference and several games in a row while we go on a stomper of a run

6 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

I think we need to wait until our new centre backs have dealt with the up and at them physical don’t give you a minute spl strikers before we can make judgment , big alves looked immense against Marseille and Sheffield Wednesday last summer , first game against Motherwell he thought fuck this these cunts are slide tackling me and was an imposter the rest of his time at the club 

Great thanks for making me doubt the only region i think we have improved on ? jks valid point, i would say that basically anything would of been an improvement on our defence from last year. Truthfully the thing iIam most concerned of is SG, why appoint a manager with no experience? It's not like we are making up for that with big name transfers