How did Kenny Dalglish and Danny McGrain do it?

The story I heard years ago was that we scouted Dalglish but ended up signing the guy who was playing against him., a defender called Gus McCallum. 

As for McGrain, I know at the time we didn’t put any effort into trying to sign people who wouldn’t want to play for us anyway, but I find it strange if we just went by his name rather than finding out which school he attended, I believe it was Kingsridge in Drumchapel. We signed Alex O’Hara, I take it we knew that despite the name he went to Grange Secondary in Castlemilk.

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Both of them walked the middle of the road not to fussed about either side. 

Should be remembered that McGrain got a fair amount of abuse from those inside the taigs because he wasn’t one of them. 

Used to meet him in the drum before games when I was playing for the drum. He'd come down and watch and give us advice etc. Asked him what he was and said "I was one of yous" 

But that's as far as it went. He was always heading up to his old dears and then came watched us. A nice enough old guy when i spoke to him tbh

9 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

Used to meet him in the drum before games when I was playing for the drum. He'd come down and watch and give us advice etc. Asked him what he was and said "I was one of yous" 

But that's as far as it went. He was always heading up to his old dears and then came watched us. A nice enough old guy when i spoke to him tbh

I can't think of anything worse than putting yourself in a position where that is now how you describe your support of us

1 hour ago, The Widow's Son said:

I've read that both were raised the Ibrox way and even cheered on Rangers when they were on celtic's books.  How did they make the change from blue to green?  Wasn't it hard for them?  Both are celtic icons and to think that they started out on our side.  

Daniel was asked to sign and we thought he said no.....

6 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I can't think of anything worse than putting yourself in a position where that is now how you describe your support of us

Tbf I did say "what team did you support when you were younger" 

1 hour ago, LochendBilly said:

We ruled McGrain out due to his name according to him, Daniel Fergus McGrain ?

I'm sure shortly after this, bjk, said that if there were 2 players of equal ability to be signed, one kafflik and one Protestant - then he'd try and sign the Protestant, because there was no way that Rangers would be signing the kafflik.

But still, at the end of the day, they're a terrorist, fenian, slimy football club, and even with the success bjk, brought, a Protestant he was, (he put their shite club on the map) - they have still never had a non kafflik director. 

25 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

The story I heard years ago was that we scouted Dalglish but ended up signing the guy who was playing against him., a defender called Gus McCallum. 

As for McGrain, I know at the time we didn’t put any effort into trying to sign people who wouldn’t want to play for us anyway, but I find it strange if we just went by his name rather than finding out which school he attended, I believe it was Kingsridge in Drumchapel. We signed Alex O’Hara, I take it we knew that despite the name he went to Grange Secondary in Castlemilk.

Dalglish, Alex O'Hara and Alex McDonald all struggled to find clubs because of their size and all ended up playing for Glasgow United, signed up by a guy named Sam Beck, who was more interested in ability than how tall they were.

We showed no interst in Dalglish. The taigs were reigning European champions and asked permission to sign him from his father. 

Mr Dalglish obviously felt if we had no interest it represented the only decent opportunity his son would get to be a professional footballer.

As far as Dalglish went, it was his Father who advised him to join the taigs as a 17yr old. Stein sent Sean Fallon to their house and made Dalglish an offer to join them. Dalglish's old man told him that Stein was the best manager around and that he would learn how to be a proper footballer under Stein. As Dalglish had recently failed in two trials in England (one was Liverpool) he took the advice and played for the dark side.

Dalglish, and McGrain were not the first Protestants and won't be the last who "jumped the Dyke" as many before them did the same, such as Tommy Gemmell, Bertie Peacock, Bertie Auld, Willie Wallace, plus a host of others.

We've got to be honest with ourselves and say it was ultimately our fault. Too concerned about size rather than ability with Dalglish and a dubious name for McGrain. No point beating around the bush, Jock Stein revolutionised them while our system became antiquated and stifled us. It's because of Jock Stein that there is even a question/arguement about the stature of the two clubs. His period in charge gets them in the same breath as us, this last few years has given them a target to challenge our position.

The Old Firm has been an ill divided relationship. We have helped them far more than the other way round. If we decided to offer contracts to the best Scottish Catholic players way back when, we would have constantly dominated. But not for the first time in history, Rangers put the perceived greater good of the Scottish game before its own potential.

21 minutes ago, Spliffy said:

We've got to be honest with ourselves and say it was ultimately our fault. Too concerned about size rather than ability with Dalglish and a dubious name for McGrain.

Tbh the size thing has always been a problem, if the only country to ever recruit youth players was Scotland Messi would prob be emptying bins in Argentina the now.

7 minutes ago, sRcFoCt said:

McCann was I think some of his family disowned him when he signed for us.

Yes, that appears to be true, but although wee Neil was a Kaflick, I'm not sure if he was a rabic sellic fan. Anyway, He was one of the best left wingers we ever had and he loved giving the mhanks a gubbing.

1 hour ago, Bighouse said:

We showed no interst in Dalglish. The taigs were reigning European champions and asked permission to sign him from his father. 

Mr Dalglish obviously felt if we had no interest it represented the only decent opportunity his son would get to be a professional footballer.

Boak x a million