A Case for the Defence

Creampuff

We’ve been rock solid at the back. Reminds me of Walter, it’s not pretty but we grind out the results and win anyway we have to.

Previous managers focussed on style over substance. 

Not great going forward but if you make it impossible for teams to score you will always nick a goal and there are a few more attacking options to come! 

I think Goldson, Katic, Flanagan, and McGregor have improved us by miles.

Last season when we were under attack it was a case of praying that the other team fuck it up, now we have players who can actually defend and a goalie who doesn't look as if he us going to concede every game.

Safe to say Goldson is a monster can hear him through the tele at times a proper leader, Katic is strong in the air as well going under the radar I think & as for Couilibaly he's a solid solid CDM just hunts the ball down and is solid in the tackle glad Morelos got his goal.

Well Done Rangers and the fans that travelled 

A good keeper and what so far looks like solid CBs.

Goldson will be great for us IMO.

At times our FBs will get caught out, that happens with any team that has the full backs attacking, that's why we need solid and quick CBs instead of ancient slow bodies.

I have always had the feeling with Tav that he can't help but push forward and leave spaces at the back, sadly and I mean sadly to say last season he was prob our most creative player to create chances in that he went down the wing and crossed the ball in. Take away Tav and our attacking options would be mostly pass it about the midfield and with any luck we might get a goal, or maybe a lucky through ball as nobody in our midfield (except Murphy to an extent) had a clue.

For ages our left and right backs pushing forward has been a problem as the CB's and Goalie have been rank rotten, I'm hoping that the addition of solid CB's and Goalie will mean we aren't punished so badly when he pushes forward as they will mop up at the back with Couibaly making us more solid. The addition of players who are more creative like the 2 boys from Liverpool and hopefully Arfield will mean Tav isn't given the sole responsibility of being the guy who makes the goals and we may see him being less attack minded as the others will be setting the goals up.

Jury still out.

Have been precedents though. In similar cases against  Rangers back fours  in last 5 years the defendants were all unanimously found guilty. Further charges against previous managers also proven, one was sentenced to a years community gardening leave, the next was sent to Nottingham where he committed further offences, and the last fled the country.

The GK and two CBs are a big upgrade on last years efforts.  The biggest difference for me is in midfield where we've been bullied, outfought, and often overran for almost two years.  We seen the game out tonight with Jack, Coulibaly, and McCrorie, protecting the back 4.  Coulibaly who is a proper enforcer and talk of this Bryan playing as a LCM excites me as he's a very big lad as well.  If we can win the midfield battles that'll take a lot of pressure off the defense and get us up the other end of the park where we should be playing most of our football.