***The Official Rangers v NK Maribor Thread***

G.E.C.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reckon he will go with ejaria if jack's definitely out along side coulibally and arfield will be back in. Not been impressed by mcrorie at all when I've seen him this season. Probably looked better last season as standards were lower? Wouldn't of been surprised to see him out on loan 

Midfield three is a tough one with Jack out. Throwing Ejaria in there could go either way but he might be that creative spark we need. I definitely wouldn’t start McCrorie but maybe I’m being unfair to the boy.

Candeias will be key defensively and offensively as always, whereas Murphy just edges Kent for me.

Not gonna try and predict this one. This squad look capable but Maribor are a strong side. An early away goal could be disastrous for us.

A31BD1FE-6C3E-4B12-A1EA-41528448B390.jpeg

I think with Jack out, and the debate on here about who should take his place between McCrorie and Ejaria it just highlights further our lack of quality options in the engine room.

If we do move to 352 then at least the wingbacks would lend some support to the middle 3, but whilst we are playing 433 I really think we need another quality addition to our options for the midfield. 

Looking at the UEFA coefficients, things look bad - we're on 0.25 but getting the slightly better national coefficient of 3.725 while Maribor have earned a mighty 22.5.  But...

If we'd continued to play in Europe over the last 5 years, our coefficient would really be somewhere nearer to celtic's 31, and is probably better than Maribor's 22.5.  That's pretty much reflected in the betting where the bookies seem to have us evens on the win.

Really getting revved up for this.

18 minutes ago, Dave Donnellan said:

Looking at the UEFA coefficients, things look bad - we're on 0.25 but getting the slightly better national coefficient of 3.725 while Maribor have earned a mighty 22.5.  But...

If we'd continued to play in Europe over the last 5 years, our coefficient would really be somewhere nearer to celtic's 31, and is probably better than Maribor's 22.5.  That's pretty much reflected in the betting where the bookies seem to have us evens on the win.

Really getting revved up for this.

The bookies don't go on coefficients :lol:

1 minute ago, Dave Donnellan said:

When you've got two teams coming together who've not played each other in 7 years, coefficients must be a starting point.

I can pretty much guarantee that no bookie has ever used UEFA co-efficients to draw up their book.

3 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I can pretty much guarantee that no bookie has ever used UEFA co-efficients to draw up their book.

They'll use something like the ELO ratings which, apart from anomalies like Rangers, won't be a kick in the arse away from UEFA's coefficients.

12 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Not gonna lie I'm bricking it for this game tonight, they'll be a lot better than Osijek. 

The only way we're going to improve is by overcoming this kind of challenge.  I really can't wait for this - like a kid at Christmas.

But, yeah, I'm bricking it too.

36 minutes ago, Dave Donnellan said:

When you've got two teams coming together who've not played each other in 7 years, coefficients must be a starting point.

30 minutes ago, Dave Donnellan said:

They'll use something like the ELO ratings which, apart from anomalies like Rangers, won't be a kick in the arse away from UEFA's coefficients.

Don't be so stupid mate :lol:

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

Don't be so stupid mate :lol:

OK, how IS it done then? 

Two teams, one from Scotland, one from Slovenia.  Neither has played each other in 7 years and one of them has had a significant financial hiccup that will cloud the usefulness of any previous meetings.

Of course they'll use ratings systems as a starting point.  UEFA and ELO are just rating systems.

14 minutes ago, Dave Donnellan said:

OK, how IS it done then? 

Two teams, one from Scotland, one from Slovenia.  Neither has played each other in 7 years and one of them has had a significant financial hiccup that will cloud the usefulness of any previous meetings.

Of course they'll use ratings systems as a starting point.  UEFA and ELO are just rating systems.

They don't use coefficients Ffs. 

37 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Not gonna lie I'm bricking it for this game tonight, they'll be a lot better than Osijek. 

A “lot better” than Osijek???? That would make them a very very good team! I really rated Osijek. I genuinely believe we took a scalp there. 

I think they’re more than handy though, and it will be a tough night we’re both patience and concentration will be key requirements (patience includes the fans!). As others have intimated, 0-0 would not be a bad score but I’d bite your hand off for 1-0 right now 

17 minutes ago, Dave Donnellan said:

OK, how IS it done then? 

They’ll base it on where they think bets are likely to come in. Probability of victory is only a small amount of how odds are set. 

Predicting the market is often an easier and more reliable way to profit. Bookies don’t gamble, punters do.

Just now, Creampuff said:

They’ll base it on where they think bets are likely to come in. Probability of victory is only a small amount of how odds are set. 

Predicting the market is often an easier and more reliable way to profit. Bookies don’t gamble, punters do.

It's the same as racing. For example if Paul Nicholls runs a horse in a shite handicap at market rasen on a Tuesday his horse will usually go off at a ridiculously short price because they know people will want to back a big powerful stable against loads of smaller ones. The horse ends up artificially short and when it gets humped the bookies are quids in.

I’m actually very confident for tonight. 

I’m not convinced Maribor will be better than Osijek at all. Croatian league is surely of a much higher standard than the Slovenian league. 

They weren’t great when we last played them, and haven’t had wonderful results thus far.

1 minute ago, Creampuff said:

I’m actually very confident for tonight. 

I’m not convinced Maribor will be better than Osijek at all. Croatian league is surely of a much higher standard than the Slovenian league. 

They weren’t great when we last played them, and haven’t had wonderful results thus far.

A 2 goal lead for us would be my ideal scenario without conceding. I think this will be tough though 

Archived