***The Official Rangers v NK Maribor Thread***

G.E.C.

1 minute ago, Rfc52 said:

It's the same as racing. For example if Paul Nicholls runs a horse in a shite handicap at market rasen on a Tuesday his horse will usually go off at a ridiculously short price because they know people will want to back a big powerful stable against loads of smaller ones. The horse ends up artificially short and when it gets humped the bookies are quids in.

That’s pretty much how racing works tbh. 

Price up the market at say 95% (giving the bookie a notional 5% profit assuming stakes are level across all selections), then take points on and off each horse until you’ve reflected how you think bets will come. 

Short-priced favs from good stables normally do win shit races, but stacking on a 1/6 shot with an average record is a bookies wet dream.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

I’m actually very confident for tonight. 

I’m not convinced Maribor will be better than Osijek at all. Croatian league is surely of a much higher standard than the Slovenian league. 

They weren’t great when we last played them, and haven’t had wonderful results thus far.

Croatian league is similar to the Slovenian one, maybe a bit better. But us (maribor) and Dinamo ZG (and maybe Rijeka in Cro) stand out from both leagues.

We weren't great when we last played you, I agree. It was enough to relegate you. But what results have you been checking btw? Because we had 3 EL groups stages (and 1 1/16 with later winner Sevilla) and 2 CL groups stages since then.

We are better than Osijek. Probably not that much, but we are better. What is more important, our players are much much much more expirienced in Europe. Our captain probably has more Euro goals than your whole team (and Osijek team too) has Euro games. It will be a close tie in 2 legs. I'm guessing this won't be decided by more than a goal margin (I'd say 2:1 in aggregate or similar).

41 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

That’s pretty much how racing works tbh. 

Price up the market at say 95% (giving the bookie a notional 5% profit assuming stakes are level across all selections), then take points on and off each horse until you’ve reflected how you think bets will come. 

Short-priced favs from good stables normally do win shit races, but stacking on a 1/6 shot with an average record is a bookies wet dream.

Not quite. 95% would be a notional 5% loss (overbroke). Pricing up at 105% (overround) would give the notional 5% profit.  

42 minutes ago, joze said:

Croatian league is similar to the Slovenian one, maybe a bit better. But us (maribor) and Dinamo ZG (and maybe Rijeka in Cro) stand out from both leagues.

We weren't great when we last played you, I agree. It was enough to relegate you. But what results have you been checking btw? Because we had 3 EL groups stages (and 1 1/16 with later winner Sevilla) and 2 CL groups stages since then.

We are better than Osijek. Probably not that much, but we are better. What is more important, our players are much much much more expirienced in Europe. Our captain probably has more Euro goals than your whole team (and Osijek team too) has Euro games. It will be a close tie in 2 legs. I'm guessing this won't be decided by more than a goal margin (I'd say 2:1 in aggregate or similar).

welcome mate. Do use the codex as well?

Bit of a nervous Norris about tonight. 

Wouldnt be surprised if we lost by a couple of goals, but equally wouldn’t be that shocked if we battered them.

Difficult to know where we actually are as a team when we’re playing unknown quantities in Europe and with 10 men in our only league game. 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

I’m actually very confident for tonight. 

I’m not convinced Maribor will be better than Osijek at all. Croatian league is surely of a much higher standard than the Slovenian league. 

They weren’t great when we last played them, and haven’t had wonderful results thus far.

My initial reaction too, but having looked into it Maribor have had some very strong performances in Europe. Certain this will be our toughest test yet

1 hour ago, joze said:

Except our keeper alone has played about double the games in Europe as Tavares has goals scored in Europe. Half of those appearances coming in the Champions League ?

I need to pick up a ticket for my mate at the ticket office. Does anyone know if I need to do this before 5pm or will ticket office open tonight until the match starts ? cant get through on phone lines....

1 minute ago, Oz said:

I need to pick up a ticket for my mate at the ticket office. Does anyone know if I need to do this before 5pm or will ticket office open tonight until the match starts ? cant get through on phone lines....

You pre booked it ? If so it will be open till kick off but the queue will be mad so if you can get over during the day I would do that. 

very hard to judge what sort of side Maribor will be but in their early games of this new season they haven't conceded many goals

Sun22/07/18 1.SRudar  0 - 5Maribor

Thu26/07/18 UEL Chikhura 0 - 0 Maribor

Sun29/07/18 1.SMaribor0 - 0 Mura

Thu02/08/18 UELMaribor 2 - 0 Chikhura 

Sun05/08/18 1.SAluminij 2 - 5 Maribor

Archived