*** Official NK Maribor vs Rangers Match Thread***

RFCRobertson

Very nervous about this match. If we fail to score they are through with a 2-0. Score and we have to lose 4-1 (or penalties after 3-1) to go out. Really on a knife edge. I’d be far more confident we’re it not for that amazing cross/shot goal they scored.

They managed to play through us a few times at home and I expect them to raise their attack several levels, but we are always capable of getting a goal....

They’ve already started complaining about our ‘physicality’ , especially Morelos, so no doubt will hope the ref is a bit card happy with us. Last thing we want is another 10 man match! Mind you, that aspect has been fine in Europe so far.

Early goal please Rangers!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ideally we score first and then I don’t mind a backs to the walls job because I can’t see them scoring 3 into us. 

What I don’t want is us to sit in for the full 90. They only need 2 and their through. 

Sit in for the first 15-20 and hopefully ride the wave because they’ll come right out and try and get the early goal. Hopefully we come back into it and kill it before half time. 

I’d take a boring, drab 0-0 right now though 

They are getting more credit than they deserve. I think if couli and jack are fit we’ll be ok. 

They are a decent team but nothing we haven’t dealt with before.  Keep it tight, chase every ball and score and it’s tie over IMO. 

I think this is where Gerrard will differ greatly from managers with no real playing experience. He will know only too well that sitting in and inviting pressure all game will backfire spectacularly. As above, we will need to ride the storm a little the first 15-20 but I think Gerrard will know that in this scenario we need to keep them on the back foot and give them something to think about. 

Quietly confident we will see this through and progress to the next round but come Thursday I will be absolutely bricking it!

10 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

220px-NK_Maribor.svg.png                220px-Rangers_FC.svg.png

UEFA Europa League
Third Qualifying round
2nd leg

NK Maribor vs Rangers FC
(1-3)

Venue: Ljudski Vrt (Slovenia)
Date: Thu 16th of Augest
Kick-off: 19:15 (7:15pm) GMT
                 20:15 (8:15pm) CEST
Live on: Premier Sports
Recent Forms:
Rangers: WWDDW
Maribor: WLWWD

Europa League:

Reveal hidden contents

Qualifying round 1
Rangers FC vs FK Shkupi 2-0
FK Shkupi vs Rangers FC 0-0

Rangers FC through on a 2-0 Aggregate 

Qualifying round 2
NK Osijek vs Rangers FC 0-1
Rangers FC vs NK Osijek 1-1

Rangers FC Through on a 2-1 Aggregate

Qualifying round 3
Rangers FC vs NK Maribor 3-1

Team News:

• John Flanagan is suspended for this match
  • Borna Barisic is cup tied
  • Wallace, Rossiter and Ryan Jack are suspected to miss due to injuries.
  • No confirmation on the extent of Lassana Coulibaly injury from the weekend.

Our European adventures continue, taking us to Slovenia where we take on Maribor in Maribor for the 2nd leg. The famous lead 3-1 on aggregate however following the hosts 5-0 win over Gorica, they will no doubt come out the traps to meet the queens 11 head on in a bid to continue their campaign.For me the Gers would do well to weather the storm, steal an away goal and shut up shop to deny the Slovenians from scoring again, which will take us further into Europa to meet either UFA or Progres niderkorn, a game which is currently 2-1 in favour of UFA but will be decided in Luxembourg.

1-1 on the night, 4-2 on Aggregate

Lets Go!

Glad to see you back doing what you do better than anyone else. Don't let the fuckers put you off.

Kent is too weak to start, imo. We need our physical players to take the brunt of attack for the majority and then bring on Kent and Sadiq when the legs tire to give 'em something to catch up on. 

McGregor

Tav Goldson Katic Halliday

Candeias Coulibaly Jack Airfield Murphy

Morelos

Although that midfield is dependent on fitness levels. 

Archived