*** Official NK Maribor vs Rangers Match Thread***

RFCRobertson

Rangers will play the same high counter pressing system we have been since the season kicked off.  It works better against attacking teams so let's hope Maribor throw plenty of players forward and we catch them out at the back.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ShanksRFC said:

Classic 0-0 draw like the old European days.

The longer it remains 0-0 the more confident we become of getting the correct result and the more they need to open up giving us a greater chance of nicking an away goal. The 3rd goal last week was vital, without that 0-0 even in the 90th minute would have our nerves shattered.

Stating the bleeding obvious loyal. 

1 hour ago, Boaby Bear said:

I think we will dictate the tempo like we did second half against them and put them to the sword, they were shite.

I wish I had your confidence. They certainly weren’t shite. They could have scored 2 or 3 quite easily if you watch the highlights back.

As long as we don’t do anything stupid though we have a good chance of going through.

1 hour ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

Think we'll come out and get about them, press high at high tempo and try nick a goal and kill the tie early, thats the pattern we've seen with SG's Rangers.

Totally agree with this, why go balls out of the bath when we can sit back and hopefully counter them in the hope of scoring an away goal. Can be boring to watch but who cares as long as we get through 

Away goal is a must, no need to chase the game and panic even if they go 1 up. The tactics should be based on hunting out an away goal, and not conceding by HT - that will kill them off. Maribor hit well on the counter, and they have a real threat up front - however their keeper and defence were very shaky, so pressure must be applied early on.

I see both their striker and manager now saying they will win and go through.

I must admit it’s a nice change being quiet on such matters and just focussing on the job and letting them come out with the sound bites that simply provide the additional motivation  for their opponents rather than the being the ones doing the talking.

It will not be an easy match and the first 20 minutes are crucial but as long as we are professional, hard working and play as a unit I think we’ll get through this tie.

5 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

I see both their striker and manager now saying they will win and go through.

I must admit it’s a nice change being quiet on such matters and just focussing on the job and letting them come out with the sound bites that simply provide the additional motivation  for their opponents rather than the being the ones doing the talking.

It will not be an easy match and the first 20 minutes are crucial but as long as we are professional, hard working and play as a unit I think we’ll get through this tie.

Hopefully like osijek we do our talking on the pitch and make them eat their words.

4 minutes ago, Gaffbear said:

Big problem is no left back on Thursday and no other CB to go 3 at the back.. 

Think that shows another CB is priority along with a striker . 

maybe Mccrorie as a makeshift CB for the back 3?
Hopefully with Jack and Coulibaly coming back, would be enough protection for him. Either that or Halliday at LB.

11 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

I wish I had your confidence. They certainly weren’t shite. They could have scored 2 or 3 quite easily if you watch the highlights back.

As long as we don’t do anything stupid though we have a good chance of going through.

Aye first half when we never had the intensity. 2nd half performance from the off and we bury them. 

Make no mistake this is going to be squeaky bum stuff. 

We need a goal because they are more than capable of getting 2. 

The guy who said they were shite must have been watching a different game. 

I would be confident with our full team available but with no Flanagan and Barasic makes me very nervous. 

Still think we will sneak it but I expect to be watching through my fingers. 

4 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Make no mistake this is going to be squeaky bum stuff. 

We need a goal because they are more than capable of getting 2. 

The guy who said they were shite must have been watching a different game. 

I would be confident with our full team available but with no Flanagan and Barasic makes me very nervous. 

Still think we will sneak it but I expect to be watching through my fingers. 

You focus on Flanagan and Barisic being unavailable but for me the bigger concern is Jack and Coulibaly. Our defence has been solid so far and while we will see Halliday play at left back which is far from ideal I still think mcgregor, Goldson and Katic are more than capable of keeping a clean sheet there if the rest of the team is putting in a shift in front of them.

They are no mugs and we will need to be right up for it and I think we will be.

Archived