Offside from a goal kick

beararse

Watching Match of The Day last night and Danny Murphy said ‘I don’t know what the centre half was doing as you can’t be offside from a goal kick’ and I thought I’d misheard.

Turns our it’s true.

I’ve played and watched football for best part 40 years and never knew or heard that one before.

5 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

being offside when you're behind the keeper, even if you play the ball backwards is one that always stuck in my throat. pretty pointless

Yep.

Thought I knew the offside rule inside out but I’ve never heard a coach explain or try and take advantage of the goal kick rule and it has never been mentioned on the TV before. Not that I’ve seen anyway.

im positive, and I played football myself to a pretty high standard, that I have seen many times a player being offside when coming back from an " offside position" when challenging for a high ball, when a goal kick has taken place, maybe im wrong but I don't think so

11 hours ago, Bossorange said:

When the keeper comes out and the defender is behind him rule confuses me for offside. Other than that I think I know the rules :lol: 

knew this rule though, remember the 6-2 game at their place, remember thinking Sutton was behind the goalie and in an offside position, again my memory may be playing tricks