Some perspective...

BillySastard

Just now, theclothmonster said:

It's about bedding the players in to the new formation and ironing out the kinks so that they are more prepared against stiffer opposition. 

They train all week and should be able to adapt to it in a game against Motherwell. The two set piece goals we lost had nothing to do with the formation.

Having said that I hope we go to a back 4 for the next games as Goldson and Katic are a brilliant pairing.

7 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

as another poster said - its hindsight. I was gagging for him to play 3-5-2 for ages - but I wouldn't have done it for the first time in an away fixture - and I would definitely have changed it at half time.

Aye hindsight is a wonderful thing mate.

But you are right, we all seen it wasn't working and should have been changed earlier at half time as you say.

6 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I agree. We defended ok in the main. Tav lost his man twice at set pieces and we were punished.

2nd half we seemed to invite pressure.

We totally switched off, the passing went to shit and we ended up just humping the ball up the pitch to no one. 

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Thought the formation was fine. 

We didn’t react to what Motherwell did in the second half and no matter what formation you play if you don’t mark up at set pieces you will concede goals. 

In 2nd half I would have went 4-5-1 and pushed Tav forward, Flanagan to right back and dropped a striker into midfield. With a 5 midfield we wouldnt have ended up sitting so deep and inviting Motherwell on. But it's easy saying that with hindsight.

I was first to admit I can be somewhat bipolar watching Rangers.

Today, we gave away 2 very cheap goals but got ourselves into a winning position. The major disappointment was the full second half.

Knowing what was coming because we simply couldn't keep a hold of the ball, with our Manager failing to react. We did nothing of note and let the bottom of the League side dominate.  

In the last 20 minutes Motherwell had 80% of the possession. That isn't Rangers and today we blew the whole 'we won't be bullied' motto which has built so much confidence for us. As did the defence which totally crumbled.

We didn't lose. But it felt like one because we gave up so much to our future opponents. 

15 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Thought the formation was fine. 

We didn’t react to what Motherwell did in the second half and no matter what formation you play if you don’t mark up at set pieces you will concede goals. 

This. We absolutely bossed the first half with the system. 

1 minute ago, DW1872 said:

They train all week and should be able to adapt to it in a game against Motherwell. The two set piece goals we lost had nothing to do with the formation.

Having said that I hope we go to a back 4 for the next games as Goldson and Katic are a brilliant pairing.

It should be progression based as much as possible, you are never going to get the same level of intensity in training as against a live opponent. The two set pieces aren't directly because of the formation but i'd argue that the game would have went a different way with a formation the players were more comfortable with. 

Just now, Courtyard Bear said:

We totally switched off, the passing went to shit and we ended up just humping the ball up the pitch to no one. 

Yep, today we didn't play well regardless of formation. Hopefully a kick up the arse, lessons learned and onto the next two games.

I still think the positive of today is that we played badly against a very physical team who bullied us last season and we didn't get beat. We would have been beaten in the last 2 seasons.

A bit of a wake up call today that there's still a lot to do.

15 minutes ago, Loyal Bear 72 said:

In 2nd half I would have went 4-5-1 and pushed Tav forward, Flanagan to right back and dropped a striker into midfield. With a 5 midfield we wouldnt have ended up sitting so deep and inviting Motherwell on. But it's easy saying that with hindsight.

Might not have started the second half that way, but as soon it became clear we had lost any momentum and looked disjointed that would’ve been my move as well. 

Stevie looked to exploit the fact they went for it, which is fine if we had control of the ball but we couldn’t string 2 passes together and nothing was sticking up top. I honestly think he trying to do it the correct way but doesn’t have the players to do it yet. He has to realise this and adapt, there’s nothing wrong with parking the bus for the last 10/15 mins. 

1 minute ago, theclothmonster said:

It should be progression based as much as possible, you are never going to get the same level of intensity in training as against a live opponent. The two set pieces aren't directly because of the formation but i'd argue that the game would have went a different way with a formation the players were more comfortable with. 

We'll never know if it would have been different with a back 4 from the start but our basics were lacking today (passing, marking) and when that's the case you could play any formation and not win.

7 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

Yep, today we didn't play well regardless of formation. Hopefully a kick up the arse, lessons learned and onto the next two games.

I still think the positive of today is that we played badly against a very physical team who bullied us last season and we didn't get beat. We would have been beaten in the last 2 seasons.

A bit of a wake up call today that there's still a lot to do.

Agreed mate. 

I believe Stevie will be a top top manager, he just has to realise he isn’t managing EPL players yet and adjust his in game changes a little. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Agreed mate. 

I believe Stevie will be a top top manager, he just has to realise he isn’t managing EPL players yet and adjust his in game changes a little. 

Absolutely. He played at the very top all his career and maybe is still adjusting to managing players who frankly couldn't lace his boots. I'm with you though because I think he will be a top manager as well.

I've no doubt he'll learn from today. But I keep saying this was a game we'd have lost last season so there's some positives in that.

The most frustrating thing about today is that we know we should be top of the league with 9 points but for stupid schoolboy type errors. It's an all too familiar scene for us by now. We know the taigs aren't nearly as good as made out to be but silly little mistakes at crucial times (Tav losing his man at set pieces, the substitution when defending a corner, etc) might well come back to haunt us. We've had a perfect opportunity to make some headway in the league and 2 last minute goals due to piss poor defending has cost us 4 points. It's a tough one to take.

51 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

No it wouldn't prove anything - but it would have given it a chance to bed in and players a chance to get to grips with it a little.

Not if he was playing it today with a view to using it against them at the weekend it wouldn't, which I think was probably his intention. Whether that changes now who knows.

Just now, Pure_Quality said:

Not if he was playing it today with a view to using it against them at the weekend it wouldn't, which I think was probably his intention. Whether that changes now who knows.

I hope he does change it now. At least to start with. In fairness it does give us another option if we are chasing a game

50 minutes ago, DW1872 said:

I get that but they would get to grips with it in training as much as against Ayr. 

I'm glad he tried it and wouldn't be against playing it again as it's good to be able to change tactics but I hope we revert to a back 4 for the next two (massive) games.

Don't think you have much to worry about in that respect. Back 4 likelihood 100% next two games.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

I hope he does change it now. At least to start with. In fairness it does give us another option if we are chasing a game

I hope so too. Seems his ideal formation is 352 but today it didn't work, and on that basis we should play what has served us better until now.

1 hour ago, Ivybank said:

Their no 9 bullied us after Gerrard Opening his mouth and saying we wouldn't be bullied again ?

Gerrard was wrongly assuming that constant over-physicality would be dealt with .

”Steven Ferrard, this is Craig Thomson. Craig Thomson, this is Steven Gerrard “

How Motherwell supporters can wstch that excuse for football is beyond me. The ball must have been sore at the end. But we fell deeper and deeper for no good reason and we will learn from that. 

We learned today that we can fight back from going behind and we got away from a team of thugs and a corrupt ref with no injuries as far as I know.

And on a positive note, I thought Katic was outstanding today, all the more noticeable because Goldson had an off day.

We’ve been to Rugby Park, Pittodrie and Fir Park and picked up a win and two draws and our performances merited three wins. Not long ago we’d have dreaded these fixtures. We’ve come a long way and I have no doubt we are heading in the right direction.

Keep believing FFS