Some perspective...

BillySastard

1 hour ago, DW1872 said:

Today proved not to be the day right enough but I still maintain that it was right to try. Trying it at home in a comfortable game Vs Hamilton or something wouldn't give a real indication.

Also today we defended ok apart from Tav losing his man twice. Individual error. 

I hope we revert to a back 4 because Goldson and Katic look solid as a pair.

Try things in difficult must win games away games to get a true indication ???? Surly master it against the up coming ayr game and lesser fixtures at ibrox ? My own personal opinion why try today’s formation at all , if the original formation wasn’t working and we’d been conceding right left and centre then fair enough but we’ve looked solid , he’s changed it and we were a shambles 

5 minutes ago, OnwardsandUpwards said:

As disappointing as today was there are certainly more positives to be excited about. I actually go to games now feeling confident we will get a result. Bad days will happen but this squad will only get bigger, stronger and better.

I fear no games this season.

11 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This whole argument about losing games in previous title winning seasons doesn't wash with me at all, in fact I find the comparison woeful to be honest.

Let's look at that season without even going into the debate about having a superior squad and players to the scum.

We won nine games in a row, if you want to expand that we dropped 2 points in ELEVEN matches, we've dropped 4 already ffs. We beat Aberdeen and the scum away in that period. There is absolutely not a single chance we will be winning 30 games this season, that's what we achieved that year btw!

Yup, it's basically folk just trying to convince themselves things will be ok based on a different era with different levels of players based on nothing at all that's relevant to the here and now.

If we drop points next weekend then that will be 3 out of 4 games at the start of the season....that's piss poor 

I genuinely don't think we will lose next week....but for talking sake...if we had taken 9 points  and they had taken 9 points and they beat us next week, we come away three points behind having had 3 tough away games. 

The reality is our worst case right now we leave there 4 points behind, its not a disaster.

Next week is about that game and us putting down a marker for the season....the one thing we know is this team wont go and shit it there. If we lose 1-0 and make a game of it we can still class that as progress based on the shit we have seen there recently. If we go and win 1-0 they will completely impode. The pressure is on them. 

Thursday is the focus, what we have went through the last 6 years can be fully put in the past if we reach the group stages of a european competition. We have 90 mins to achive that....we have a whole season to put them in their place. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

This whole argument about losing games in previous title winning seasons doesn't wash with me at all, in fact I find the comparison woeful to be honest.

Let's look at that season without even going into the debate about having a superior squad and players to the scum.

We won nine games in a row, if you want to expand that we dropped 2 points in ELEVEN matches, we've dropped 4 already ffs. We beat Aberdeen and the scum away in that period. There is absolutely not a single chance we will be winning 30 games this season, that's what we achieved that year btw!

The margins for error are small if we're looking to win the league or at least put in a genuine challenge for it 

Thats why I can't really be comforted by the unbeaten chat because draws aren't good enough at the top, obviously you can't win every single match per season but it's two draws in three already and it's a big one next week

I'm gutted that we haven't been able to take full advantage of them clearly having issues for the first time under Rodgers 

48 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Try things in difficult must win games away games to get a true indication ???? Surly master it against the up coming ayr game and lesser fixtures at ibrox ? My own personal opinion why try today’s formation at all , if the original formation wasn’t working and we’d been conceding right left and centre then fair enough but we’ve looked solid , he’s changed it and we were a shambles 

Easy in hindsight to say why try that formation but most people on here seemed very keen to try it as well. On paper it made perfect sense and I think he tried it today as we now have 2 genuine wing backs which wasn't the case before Barisic signed.

Also think he tried it today with a view to the next 2 games. He said he wants a squad that can adapt to different tactics and formations depending on the opposition.

I know every game that Rangers don't win is the start of a mini crisis but the 3rd league game of the season isn't 'must win'.

I do agree that we didn't look anything like as solid as previous games but if we marked properly at set pieces we'd have won. That's what cost us 2 points today. Having said all that I'm hoping and expecting a back 4 on Thursday and Sunday.

I’m conflicted about what to think and how to feel just now.

It is clear to us all that our squad is a million times better than it was last year, who love playing for us and we have a management team who *get* what it’s like to be a Ranger. We are also 90 mins away from finally marking our proper return to the European stage and all the financial benefits that will bring. Even at the start of this season that was beyond my expectations.

However- we should be sitting top of the league with 9 points tonight, three ahead of the bheasts going into next week. Instead, a poor result will see us 4 behind them already, and we won’t get many chances to make up ground. I just can’t shake that feeling of what *should* be.

I very much hope we get through this next week by qualifying for Europe and at the very least taking a point from their midden. If we don’t do either of those things, all our brilliant momentum is gone.

1 minute ago, DW1872 said:

Easy in hindsight to say why try that formation but most people on here seemed very keen to try it as well. On paper it made perfect sense and I think he tried it today as we now have 2 genuine wing backs which wasn't the case before Barisic signed.

Also think he tried it today with a view to the next 2 games. He said he wants a squad that can adapt to different tactics and formations depending on the opposition.

I know every game that Rangers don't win is the start of a mini crisis but the 3rd league game of the season isn't 'must win'.

I do agree that we didn't look anything like as solid as previous games but if we marked properly at set pieces we'd have won. That's what cost us 2 points today. Having said all that I'm hoping and expecting a back 4 on Thursday and Sunday.

Going to parkheed 2 days after Russia in my opinion made today a must win, worst case scenario we’d leave there on Sunday 2 points behind them now it might be 4 

The perspective is we’re 1 behind them and could be sitting next week 4. If we’re serious about it this season we beat shite like that every week. 

A week is a long time in football they say and unless we have some sort of positive result next week Gerrard will find that out

9 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Going to parkheed 2 days after Russia in my opinion made today a must win, worst case scenario we’d leave there on Sunday 2 points behind them now it might be 4 

Fair point and it adds more pressure to get something from the game next week. But I still say that if we'd passed better today and marked better at set pieces we would have won. That's basics, not formations.

I think that we're in better shape than I would have expected this early into Gerrard's reign and there's lots of football to be played and lots of improvement to come from us. There is most definitely a title race on this season regardless of what happens next week. 

There's going to be ups and downs this season. Today it's was basics like marking from set pieces that cost us. 

Its frustrating and a sore one to take.

However now we've had the bad performance, I belive the squad will be fired up to go out and put in the big performances we need this week. 

2 hours ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Going back to last season, we won our 1st game at ‘Well & also our 1st game away to the sheep.

Given the results at these 2 so far - are we much better placed than last term?

To take this comparison further, anything less than a draw on Sunday would suggest we’re going backwards.

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

You're right.

Suspend him ?

?

By the baws, until we learn NOT to concede in the 30 secs added on for OUR injury time substitution!

?

Or give him a clip round the ear and tell him to go back to what’s been working pretty well so far...

15 minutes ago, HG5 said:

And contrary to some opinion, I think there’s a good balance, good points being made (and defended) without too much overreaction.

Without those two last minute goals in away games so far... think about where we would be in the league...

It's a 'reality check'... can't keep losing goals which are criminal defensively.

Gerrard, above all, will surely address this.

Incidentally, are we still unbeaten...?