cup winners cup coming back?

GOAT

3 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I imagine it will be some kind of competition for the champions of Armenia, Liechtenstein, and San Marino to all play each other in?

That’ll be quite cute. Always feel minnows deserve a real chance of winning something big.

Back nearer where it all used to be would be fucking great, but the world brand clubs won't go for it.

You just have to hope that something unforeseeable happens and the arse falls out of the football money-go-round one day, and we get back to it being more of a real sport, with local meaning.

9 hours ago, GOAT said:

uefa met yesterday and have agreed to bring in a third European competition from three years time according to some german newspaper.  Talking about it on talksport just now.

This is them just preparing for the CL to become a ‘members only club’ 

Hopefully that leads to them changing the format of the current tournaments but I won't hold my breath. Currently of the 32 teams in the Champions League there's only 15 nations represented. The other 17 clubs are the usual also-ran clubs from the big leagues. Bit of a farce.

The likely outcome would be each league just being given more European spots though which would probably mean the likes of England basically having half of their league competing in Europe each season.

I like the completion but when England have 4.teams in the champions league the top clubs still won't be too bothered about winning the game cup.

Money should be divided more evenly in Europe as the vast majority goes to the same clubs year in year out in the champions league which is unfair and killing the game 

On 31/08/2018 at 10:39, GOAT said:

uefa met yesterday and have agreed to bring in a third European competition from three years time according to some german newspaper.  Talking about it on talksport just now.

Heard this too.dumb fucks like White moaning that they already have too many games .

Typical talk sport getting all biscuit arsed without looking at the flip side .

same as they did for 2 years moaning about the transfer window closing after the season starts .failed to realise that while their window was shut everybody else's still open and players could still leave .

This time they haven't thought that this will actually reduce the amount of early rounds as it will have teams normally playing in the Europa league ..

On 01/09/2018 at 15:04, Broxi said:

Would it be an extra tournament? As in can you be in the CL/EL and the CWC? Otherwise there'd be too many teams already in one of those who also won their cup.

It'd be separate, the way it used to be. Back then if you won the league you went into the European Cup. If you won the cup you went into the CWC. If you won the CWC and finished third or something, the next team down would get the UEFA Cup space you would stay in the CWC. If you wona  league and cup double, the runners up in the cup would go into the CWC.

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

It'd be separate, the way it used to be. Back then if you won the league you went into the European Cup. If you won the cup you went into the CWC. If you won the CWC and finished third or something, the next team down would get the UEFA Cup space you would stay in the CWC. If you wona  league and cup double, the runners up in the cup would go into the CWC.

From what I have read, it seems like a way of weeding out the lower ranked nations out of the Europa/CL QF - therefore reducing the amount of preliminary QF ties for the higher tiered nations. Can't be a bad thing really, but I really think UEFA are waiting to see the reaction to the international Nations League format - before implementing a similar club competition as a European League midweek season. The Nations League is all based on separation on rankings, so it would seem to fit perfectly with the bigger clubs demanding playing only the top sides.

On 31/08/2018 at 18:19, Inigo said:

Back nearer where it all used to be would be fucking great, but the world brand clubs won't go for it.

You just have to hope that something unforeseeable happens and the arse falls out of the football money-go-round one day, and we get back to it being more of a real sport, with local meaning.

That's what I long for mate, money has ruined the game for normal folk imo.

No mark cunts from provincial clubs in England looking down their noses at us, they think because they get all this money they are great but have fuck all in terms of history and prestige to be even talking to us at all.