Tactics

BlueMe

Can't remember who it was in an interview said when you're winning you don't feel tired legs, well there was not a chance in hell we were getting in front with those tactics today seemed Kent was playing right back that's just for a start.

You have to press those cunts because as they proved today you let them have the ball you rarely get it back which expends more energy than if they were having to go long as their defence is shit.

16 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Poor performance, but i can totally understand why we choose to try and contain them and hit on the break. We simply wouldn't have the energy to play a high pressing game, we were never going to go into this game chasing everything down with constant pressure 3 days after travelling half way around the world and playing a game with 9 men. 

Poor performance, but a bit of realism is required here i think. This team's been playing together weeks and still gelling, getting into the groups has possibly set the bar a bit higher than it should be at the moment. 

I sincerely hope today's performance was a hangover from Thursday night.

Bitterly disappointed that we appeared to be the same team as last year. Guess time will tell if this is the case or not.

5 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Alright saying that after spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players :lol:

It's a mindset.  There was a thread on here earlier comparing Gerrard to Guardiola:

I can't imagine Guardiola saying  to his players 'we're too tired to pay football today so we'll camp in our own half and boot it long'.  

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

I can't imagine Guardiola saying  to his players 'we're too tired to pay football today so we'll camp in our own half and boot it long'.  

Yip and its a worry considering we did the exact same thing in the second half at Fir Park and it didn't work then either. 

2 minutes ago, JM1872 said:

Still waiting for a single direct reply on who we should have taken Ejaria off for ? We have a net loss of 6 players through the transfer window. Depth is an issue to which the 3 new additions will partly address but still.

McCrorie or Halliday, simple

39 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Poor performance, but i can totally understand why we choose to try and contain them and hit on the break. We simply wouldn't have the energy to play a high pressing game, we were never going to go into this game chasing everything down with constant pressure 3 days after travelling half way around the world and playing a game with 9 men. 

Poor performance, but a bit of realism is required here i think. This team's been playing together weeks and still gelling, getting into the groups has possibly set the bar a bit higher than it should be at the moment. 

We didn’t even look like we wanted to hit them on the break. It was attack v defence. It reminded me if that inter Milan v Barcelona game where Mourinho set them team up to not even have the ball. Just let them have it for 90 because he said they’d be at their most vulnerable if they lost it up the pitch. Ironically, we lost the goal on a fucking counter attack. 

Same tactics that Walter Smith used throughout the nineties with a far better team.  Walter got his share of results because we had more talented players in the final third to take the few chances that we created.  Morelos and Tav were in similar positions late on to Forrest In the lead up to their goal..  However, neither of them had the composure to pick out the right pass.

The Jack incident was crucial because it left us short at the back when they broke. Maybe being unfair here but thought that Ejaria should have taken one for the team to stop the break.

7 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

Same tactics that Walter Smith used throughout the nineties with a far better team.  Walter got his share of results because we had more talented players in the final third to take the few chances that we created.  Morelos and Tav were in similar positions late on to Forrest In the lead up to their goal..  However, neither of them had the composure to pick out the right pass.

The Jack incident was crucial because it left us short at the back when they broke. Maybe being unfair here but thought that Ejaria should have taken one for the team to stop the break.

That’s a really good point you make about Walter but yes had more quality in our forward areas at that time and I don’t think he was ever quite as defensive as we were today. 

45 minutes ago, soulboy said:

Can't remember who it was in an interview said when you're winning you don't feel tired legs, well there was not a chance in hell we were getting in front with those tactics today seemed Kent was playing right back that's just for a start.

You have to press those cunts because as they proved today you let them have the ball you rarely get it back which expends more energy than if they were having to go long as their defence is shit.

And how do we press them, matter of fact who was the last team to press celtic at the piggery for 90mins

There was not a chance in hell on that big park we could have pressed them, their fresher players would have eventually worn us down

1 minute ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

That’s a really good point you make about Walter but yes had more quality in our forward areas at that time and I don’t think he was ever quite as defensive as we were today. 

Many a time I saw Walter play equally defensive at their midden, that’s where Andy Goram Came into his own.  However, we had players upfront who could hurt them on the break.

Goal came at a bad time because thought we were starting to get some kind of foothold in the game at that point and they were running out of ideas.  

5 minutes ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

Are you kidding me, i watched walter go to parkhead with diouf up front himself, lose 1-0 and our only shot on target in 90mins was a diouf free kick in the last minute that barely reached their goal 

As much as I didn't like the tactics in the first half I can understand SG's thinking . 

We were always going to be leg weary after our long trip on Thursday and not last 90 minutes . So either we go for it from the start and probably have our backs against the wall in the second half , or just try and contain them the first half and try to finish stronger . Throw in the fact that most these players haven't sampled the atmosphere there , with little support , I can see why we used the first half to get them used to it , silence the crowd and try and get something out of it the second . 

Having sampled it now , I'd expect a stronger showing from now on in . 

2 minutes ago, gmcf said:

As much as I didn't like the tactics in the first half I can understand SG's thinking . 

We were always going to be leg weary after our long trip on Thursday and not last 90 minutes . So either we go for it from the start and probably have our backs against the wall in the second half , or just try and contain them the first half and try to finish stronger . Throw in the fact that most these players haven't sampled the atmosphere there , with little support , I can see why we used the first half to get them used to it , silence the crowd and try and get something out of it the second . 

Having sampled it now , I'd expect a stronger showing from now on in . 

Better Rangers teams than this have performed better there and came away losing heavier. Get them to Ibrox when we have a full, fit squad to choose from and i think the outcome will be different.

3 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Better Rangers teams than this have performed better there and came away losing heavier. Get them to Ibrox when we have a full, fit squad to choose from and i think the outcome will be different.

That's the kind of line we could have applied during the last couple of seasons, Murty managed two draws there after all and we all know how that turned out

We can only see how we react now

8 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Hopefully by then the players will have gelled more , understand what SG's expectations more , have an idea of what they're up against more and a full crowd behind them .