Arfield?

Amac9

Thought he was the best of a bad bunch yesterday in the middle.

We're still developing and having watched our first few games under Gerrard I think we've certainly came on, hopefully by the time we have our next league game and a few weeks with the full squad on the training pitch, we can see some more improvements and Arfield coming onto his game a bit.

11 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Should have followed Ntcham instead of running towards the ball for their goal imo.

He made several blocks and interceptions in and around our box in the first half though which got us out of trouble so I'm a bit surprised to see him getting such a hard time after today. He was nowhere near the worst player in our team.

First half he was the only player who closed down.

I said on another thread that i've been disappointed in him since he came. 

It doesn't seem clear what his role is. He isn't a sitting midfielder, so is he a box to box player or an attacking midfielder....he has not created much and has offered almost no goal threat so far. I think we entitled to expect more from him. It isn't that he has been awful, but when playing for us he needs to be more consistent and offer more game changing moments. 

The only midfielders that have pass marks this season are Jack and Coulibaly. The rest have not been consistent enough as yet. I'd imagine Grezda will be starting so that shakes thing up a little as Arfield will no longer be walking into the side. 

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Mate, you can argue that Arfield goes one way or another way. 

Ejaria lets him run past and all he does is point that someone should pick him up. It’s his man he should be covering the run. 

He's already tracking a player, albeit doing a shite job of it. Arfield though is free and chooses to chase the ball and try and be a hero rather than chasing the spare man making his way towards our box.

1 hour ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

He's already tracking a player, albeit doing a shite job of it. Arfield though is free and chooses to chase the ball and try and be a hero rather than chasing the spare man making his way towards our box.

Never Arfields fault in a month of Sunday’s he is covering the man in the middle of the box, Ejaria fails to chase down Rogic then just stops as Ntcham strolls past. 

27 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Never Arfields fault in a month of Sunday’s he is covering the man in the middle of the box, Ejaria fails to chase down Rogic then just stops as Ntcham strolls past. 

If you've watched that and still can't see where Arfield has went wrong then we just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Basically you're saying here Ejaria should be closing down 2 players while Arfield chases the ball down.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

If you've watched that and still can't see where Arfield has went wrong then we just need to agree to disagree on this one.

Basically you're saying here Ejaria should be closing down 2 players while Arfield chases the ball down.

So you want Arfield to pull away from the player he’s closest to right in the centre of the box to cover a player arriving late. ?? which he probably doesn’t even now is there  

While Ejaria lets Ntcham run past him and is doing nothing. 

Thank god your not a defensive coach. 

First half was nightmare for any midfielder they were either defending or watching the ball getting hoofed up the park. A bit better second half but not much. Arfield covered a lot of ground without making much impact and dived in a few times to make the tackle without winning the ball. Let's face it with the exception of Mcgregor they were all honking. 

4 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

So you want Arfield to pull away from the player he’s closest to right in the centre of the box to cover a player arriving late. ?? which he probably doesn’t even now is there  

While Ejaria lets Ntcham run past him and is doing nothing. 

Thank god your not a defensive coach. 

That's literally what you're claiming Ejaria should have done :lol:

Take a look at all the players as the break is happening rather than looking where they are when the goal is scored and tell me Arfield shouldn't be following Ntcham.

19 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

That's literally what you're claiming Ejaria should have done :lol:

Take a look at all the players as the break is happening rather than looking where they are when the goal is scored and tell me Arfield shouldn't be following Ntcham.

Ejaria stopped running he had no one to cover, Arfield has a decision to make he follows the man with the ball into then box to help the defence leaving Ejaria to pick up the runner. 

Only mistake he made was trusting Ejaria to pick up the runner

If he pulls away and the ball goes to the free man in the centre you would be claiming he should’ve covered him. 

29 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Ejaria stopped running he had no one to cover, Arfield has a decision to make he follows the man with the ball into then box to help the defence leaving Ejaria to pick up the runner. 

Only mistake he made was trusting Ejaria to pick up the runner

If he pulls away and the ball goes to the free man in the centre you would be claiming he should’ve covered him. 

Ejaria was still on Rogic.

Goldson and Katic were man for man in the box until Arfield arrived.

Ntcham ran in to the box unchallenged and scored. If Ejaria follows him it leaves Rogic on the edge of the box unmarked. 

19 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ejaria was still on Rogic.

Goldson and Katic were man for man in the box until Arfield arrived.

Ntcham ran in to the box unchallenged and scored. If Ejaria follows him it leaves Rogic on the edge of the box unmarked. 

Still on Rogic ?? He was never on Rogic he was so far behind him. 

I will say it is interesting to see how a situation is viewed so differently from person to person. 

8 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Dorrans is better ? On what evidence 

Take any of the tankings we took last year against them and Dorrans was shameful 

I may be having a go at Arfield but he is way better than Dorrans

Arfield is fucking garbage. Not Rangers class. Never has or will be. We can talk again about this in January. It’s a fact.

13 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

Arfield is fucking garbage. Not Rangers class. Never has or will be. We can talk again about this in January. It’s a fact.

I wouldn't go that far .It's up fir debate if he is Rangers class

I'm beginning to wonder what that is nowadays 

Our record against them is a shameful disgrace 

44 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Still on Rogic ?? He was never on Rogic he was so far behind him. 

I will say it is interesting to see how a situation is viewed so differently from person to person. 

Ejaria was closer to our goal than Rogic was when he played the ball through so not really sure where you're getting that he was so far behind him from. He was tracking Rogic all the way, admittedly he was doing a horrendous job of it but it was his man nonetheless. I don't blame him for not picking up Ntcham but you're not the only person that does so it's a difference of opinion and I respect that.

16 hours ago, Dickie said:

And you base this on what facts? Coulibaly was taken off against St Mirren as a “”precaution “ and hasn’t been seen since. Brown was brown today and strolled the fucking game and that is frightening 

Brown has strolled every old firm match for the past 3 seasons . 

Brought some stability to our lackluster midfield, but he should be a sub at best if we want to be serious contenders.

Arfield is a typical hard working winger who just lost the little speed he had, therefore switching to a central role. You can see he knows what he's doing, but for my liking he doesn't offer enough. He is a typical jack of all trades midfielder who has experience and offers decent cover.

Imo we need our starting midfielders to be more specific. Coulibaly, once fit, is a prototype destroyer. Budt I don't see a legit playmaker in our rows unfortunately. You can survive without one of course, but for this to happen our wingers are lacking the creative spark. The 3rd role we lack in midfield is a runner who can break up play but also score a bunch of goals, a decent shooter from outside the box.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought he was absolutely mince until he scored and then I genuinely thought he looked class everytime he got on the ball after that did some lovely stuff. Almost like he didn’t believe he was good enough for that level. 

He also took his goal superbly that looks like an easy finish but Candeias really whipped it in and the way he cushioned it yet directed it into the corner was quality. Should have scored at the end! 

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

I thought he was absolutely mince until he scored and then I genuinely thought he looked class everytime he got on the ball after that did some lovely stuff. Almost like he didn’t believe he was good enough for that level. 

He also took his goal superbly that looks like an easy finish but Candeias really whipped it in and the way he cushioned it yet directed it into the corner was quality. Should have scored at the end! 

This.

He was awful before his goal which obviously gave him a bit of confidence.

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

There were a few of them on the pitch tonight that didn't have that belief. 

What a difference when they had a real go and found it. 

That result will bring huge confidence to the sqaud and we'll hopefully see the performance of the 2nd half over 90 mins.