***Official Nations League Thread****

Just putting this out here, probably will be the least successful thread on RM - due to the general disdain for international football on the forum. No doubt be filled with the usual "f**k the SFA" or "I hate the international break" staunch diehards.

However, I think it is actually a decent concept to eliminate friendly games and pit the sides against similar placed teams - getting a bit of slagging due to the format, but it seems very competitive.

The group of France, Germany and Netherlands looks like being decent viewing. Also, with the chance of a Liechtenstein or Andorra making a finals, a strange prospect. It has to be said, but it could also be a strong chance of Scotland making a finals.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Siwel said:

Harry Maguire even said he and a lot of the england team have no idea what the Nations League is, tbh they’re just glorified friendlies.

This format was pushed by the larger nations to avoid playing low ranked sides, and reduce friendly games. FIFA seem to be interested in this format for WC QF.

I think this is a first step to introduce almost automatically QF for high ranking sides, thus reducing the amount of games played by the top players. There is definitely an agenda with this competition. In my opinion, as it moves into the next conception after 2020, possiblity a separate competion between the 1-16 rankings to avoid a long (and generally not necessary, as the the top 8 tend to romp the groups) Euro QF campaign.

I am also interested to see if a similar format will be implemented by UEFA for future club competion, it seems an ideal format to keep the top clubs in a closed shop league (which is what ECA keep threatening to do themselves) 

1 hour ago, miracle said:

How come Scotland's match this weekend is a friendly?

Only three teams in the group, Scotland, Israel and Albania. 

Israel and Albania is tomorrow, the Albania Scotland on Monday. 

Only going to watch to see how Grezda plays. 

Archived