Scouts in Africa

.Williamson.

Not so sure we really have scouts in Africa. Highlighted South Africa U17 international James McFarlane who is being tracked by Ajax, I believe would jump at a chance of a trial at Rangers as his dad was a Rangers fan. Was told by a scout at the club I was wasting my time as it wouldn't be followed up.

On a different note I watched Colaraine a couple of times in 2016 and two teenagers stood out and passed on my thoughts. Brad Lyons who just moved to Blackburn Rovers last week and Lyndon Kane who seems to have had his injury problems recently, don't even think the club bothered having a look.

6 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

Not so sure we really have scouts in Africa. Highlighted South Africa U17 international James McFarlane who is being tracked by Ajax, I believe would jump at a chance of a trial at Rangers as his dad was a Rangers fan. Was told by a scout at the club I was wasting my time as it wouldn't be followed up.

On a different note I watched Colaraine a couple of times in 2016 and two teenagers stood out and passed on my thoughts. Brad Lyons who just moved to Blackburn Rovers last week and Lyndon Kane who seems to have had his injury problems recently, don't even think the club bothered having a look.

Is there a scouting system of any worth, or are we now going to be used for the 'pools of this world to farm out their players not in their squads, much like we used to farm out to the juniors.

11 minutes ago, Elfideldo said:

Kane is a talented boy , but had no luck with injuries recently . Wouldn't be surprised to see Kearney trying to bring him to st.mirren when he gets back to fitness .

4 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

Kane is a talented boy , but had no luck with injuries recently . Wouldn't be surprised to see Kearney trying to bring him to st.mirren when he gets back to fitness .

Lyndon Kane was the standout player in the couple of games I watched when I was over in 2016, both he and Brad Lyons were 19 at the time. I believe Brad Lyons was over at Rangers when he was younger but Rangers didn't follow it up. I think Rangers youth scout in NI does a good job but maybe they fall off the radar when they get a wee bit older, I certainly think both were worth a look around the 19 year old age mark. 

Now the Oran Kearney  is at S.Mirren he is probably a week bit disappointed that Lyons has gone to Blackburn and as you say Kane could end up at St.Mirren if he proves his fitness.

30 minutes ago, backup said:

Is there a scouting system of any worth, or are we now going to be used for the 'pools of this world to farm out their players not in their squads, much like we used to farm out to the juniors.

Rangers have an extensive youth scout network in central Scotland ( we don't have a scout in  Aberdeen, and very limited south of the border). The standard of scout varies with the majority of players being recruited via a small pool of scouts, with some despite being at the club a long time bringing in virtually nothing. There doesn't seem to be a method to measure a scouts performance.

This is not restricted to Rangers with most Scottish clubs relying on a few volunteer scouts at varying standards for their youth recruitment.. A system that works quite well for some of the smaller clubs, who are fortunate to have one or two volunteers who are very good.

On 08/09/2018 at 09:48, SeanSean said:

Most Africans are overrated. The French leagues are full of them. High quick twitch, low IQ. Model T's of humanity. Fast enough to run past yet lack the capacity to recognize and capitalize on opponent weakness.

Fucking hell. Pretty racist there.

On 8 September 2018 at 23:09, Elfideldo said:

Three years ago I passed the names of two young guys with Aberdeen who have our background Met with silence  and both have recently made their first team debuts with tge sheep