Your lifetime Rangers squad

bg1872

Seen this on Twitter earlier. I'm sure stuff like this has probably been posted before but here is my squad from when I started watching in the early 90s. Look forward to reading some more with players from different eras.

Goram
Klos
McGregor

Brown
Porrini
Numan
Papac
Gough
Amoruso
Weir
Moore

B. Ferguson
McCall
Gascoigne
Albertz
Van Bronkhorst
Durrant
Laudrup
R. De Boer

McCoist
Mols
Jelavic
Hateley

Screenshot_20180910-234819_Twitter.jpg

Goram; Klos; McGregor

Robertson; Papac; Gough; Amo; Moore; Porrini

Laudrup; Gazza; Albertz; McCall; B Ferguson; Gio; De Boer; Tugay

McCoist; Hateley; Durie; Arveladze; Pršo; Jelavić

Hard to leave out players like Numan, McCann, Mols or even Rod Wallace - doesn't compare to some of the other strikers, but a good goalscorer nevertheless - but still. If I was to think of this again tomorrow I'd probably drop certain players out in favour of others, but picking a squad of just 23 given the quality I've seen since my first game in 1992 is difficult. 

Right back was the hardest position to consider for me. I liked Cleland when I was a lad, and was a fan of Porrini, but other than Hutton's spells of really good form I don't think I've really seen a top notch right back at Ibrox. (Stevens was winding down when I first started watching, Ricksen seemed better in the midfield, Mo Ross was decent at times but nowhere near a great.) Moore could fill in at full back when Porrini gets suspended in my hypothetical squad. 

1 minute ago, Aubie92 said:

Goram; Klos; McGregor

Robertson; Papac; Gough; Amo; Moore; Porrini

Laudrup; Gazza; Albertz; McCall; B Ferguson; Gio; De Boer; Tugay

McCoist; Hateley; Durie; Arveladze; Pršo; Jelavić

Hard to leave out players like Numan, McCann, Mols or even Rod Wallace - doesn't compare to some of the other strikers, but a good goalscorer nevertheless - but still. If I was to think of this again tomorrow I'd probably drop certain players out in favour of others, but picking a squad of just 23 given the quality I've seen since my first game in 1992 is difficult. 

Right back was the hardest position to consider for me. I liked Cleland when I was a lad, and was a fan of Porrini, but other than Hutton's spells of really good form I don't think I've really seen a top notch right back at Ibrox. (Stevens was winding down when I first started watching, Ricksen seemed better in the midfield, Mo Ross was decent at times but nowhere near a great.) Moore could fill in at full back when Porrini gets suspended in my hypothetical squad. 

Yeah I found RB tough. I didn't see enough of Gary Stevens. At LB I didn't want to leave out Davie Robertson but wanted a defensive LB in Papac and it was then a choice between Numan and Robertson for the more marauding LB.

Just now, bg1872 said:

Yeah I found RB tough. I didn't see enough of Gary Stevens. At LB I didn't want to leave out Davie Robertson but wanted a defensive LB in Papac and it was then a choice between Numan and Robertson for the more marauding LB.

I know what you mean. I went with Robertson partly just for his link up with Laudrup. (Think Juxebox is underrated too, but his link up with Laudrup is partly why I chose him too; Robertson, Laudrup and Durie are going to cause most defences problems.) 

52 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

There is simply no squad, could not have the best left back we've had last 30 years in Davie Robertson 

And Neil McCann would be ahead of Mols who had only one good season really .

Mols was simply superb at the start and it certainly is a what could have been signing hadn't it been for that injury. 

3 Goalkeepers—

Stefan Klos, Allan McGregor

4 Fullbacks—

Alan Hutton, Fernando Ricksen, Arthur Numan, Sasa Papac

4 Centre Backs—

David Weir, Carlos Cuellar, Madjid Bougherra, Lorenzo Amorouso

5 Centre Midfielders—

Barry Ferguson, Mikel Arteta, Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, Steven Davis, Claudio Reyna

4 Attacking Midfielders / Wingers—

Ronald De Boer, Neil McCann, Vladimir Weiss, Peter Lovenkrands

4 Strikers—

Dado Prso, Michael Mols, Kris Boyd, Nikica Jelavic

I can only really remember properly from the 2002/03 season, maybe 2001/02 at a push. Still that squad would be incredible to have these days

Rattled through this so will probably kick myself for missing some once I give it proper thought, but initially would read something like this..

GK

Goram, Klos, Woods

DEF

Stevens, Porrini, Robertson, Numan, Gough, Butcher, Amoruso. 

MID

Gascoigne, Laudrup, Albertz, B Ferguson, McCall, Souness, Van Bronckhorst, De Boer.

ATT

McCoist, Hately, Prso, Johnston, Mols.

Edit- Knew this would happen. Cannot believe I left Davie Cooper out. ?

2 hours ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

3 Goalkeepers—

Stefan Klos, Allan McGregor

4 Fullbacks—

Alan Hutton, Fernando Ricksen, Arthur Numan, Sasa Papac

4 Centre Backs—

David Weir, Carlos Cuellar, Madjid Bougherra, Lorenzo Amorouso

5 Centre Midfielders—

Barry Ferguson, Mikel Arteta, Giovanni Van Bronckhorst, Steven Davis, Claudio Reyna

Ronald De Boer, Neil McCann, Vladimir Weiss, Peter Lovenkrands

4 Strikers—

Dado Prso, Michael Mols, Kris Boyd, Nikica Jelavic

I can only really remember properly from the 2002/03 season, maybe 2001/02 at a push. Still that squad would be incredible to have these days

This makes me feel old but yours is the easiest format to follow. 

3 Goalkeepers—

Andy Goram, Stefan Klos, Chris Woods

4 Fullbacks—

Davie Robertson, Arthur Numan, Gary Stevens, Allan Hutton

4 Centre Backs—

Richard Gough, Terry Butcher, Carlos Cuellar, Lorenzo Amoruso

5 Centre Midfielders—

Barry Ferguson, Jorg Albertz, Stuart McCall, Ian Ferguson, Paul Gascoigne

Ronald De Boer, Neil McCann, Brian Laudrup, Davie Cooper

4 Strikers—

Mark Hateley, Ally McCoist, Kris Boyd, Michael Mols

A shout out to 6 Month Marco Negri who was, for that time period only, one of the most unbelievable players I have ever seen. 

Right backs have always been a difficult one for us. I have included Hutton for his peak season with us. Notable omissions from fullback are Stuart Munro and Papac. I had enough left backs. 

Centre Mid is missing Van Bronckhorst who was probably peak after leaving us. He seemed to have a better career at full back as well. Couldn’t leave out Ian Ferguson so GVB missed the cut

I have included Davie Cooper even though I was very young and he was on the wane when I remember him. But. It’s Davie fucking Cooper. 

Boyd gets in just because of his prolific goal scoring. Probably the least talented footballer in the team. But what an instinct for goals. 

Inevitably I have missed some. But would be happy with that squad.

Goram,  klos,  mcgregor 

Hutton porrini gough cuellar weir amoruso numan Robertson 

B. Ferguson. Gascoigne, I. Ferguson . Albertz. Mccall 

Laudrup, r. Deboer. Mccann

Mcoist hately durie mols prso. 

30 years old so just missed out on the likes of Cooper n sounness and even peak durrant. Hard leaving out van bronkhorst, negri, bougherra, but what can you do. 

Noticed I cant count either so sorry big prso I'll need to leave you out too. 

As I first went to Ibrox in 1962 thus is going to very difficult. 

Scot Symon’s dominant team, the Barcelona Bears, Jock Wallace’s two treble winning squads, the Souness Revolution, Walter’s nine-in-a-row legends, Advocaat’s purring football outfit...

23 players from that list? Ill get back to you in about a week.

9 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

There is simply no squad, could not have the best left back we've had last 30 years in Davie Robertson 

And Neil McCann would be ahead of Mols who had only one good season really .

McCann is a winger and mild a striker though 

Andy Goram, Alan McGregor, Stefan Klos.

Gary Stevens, Alan Hutton, Davie Roberson, Arthur Numan,

Richard Gough, Terry Butcher, Graham Roberts, Nigel Spackman

Ray Wilkins, Ian Ferguson, Paul Gasgoigne, Graeme Souness, Davie Cooper, Neil McCann, Brian Laudrup

Ally McCoist, Mark Hateley, Ronald De Boer, Michael Mols, Robert Fleck.

emergency call up- Chris Woods, Davie Weir Ian Durrant, Kevin Drinkell