CB, Gough, Amoruso, Weir

CB, Butcher, Moore, Bougherra

LM, Cooper, Walters, Laudrup

RM, Huistra, Kanchelskis, McCann

CM, Wilkins, Gascoigne, B.Ferguson

CM, McCall, Durrant, Albertz

CF, McCoist, Prso, Jelavic

CF Hateley, Novo, Boyd

Highlighted players would be my first team. But loved every player on this list.

18 minutes ago, GOAT said:

That's a CL winning squad right there all in their prime.  I'd probably agree with yours, although I'd try and squeeze McCann in somewhere.  RdB was more of an attacker for us aswell, certainly his best season (2002/03) he was anyway.  That squad right now would be worth a lot of fucking money.

Yeah you're right about a place for McCann. I don't think I've seen anyone deliver a better ball as consistently as he did. As for De Boer, one of my all time favourites. He always made something happen. Bags of quality.

Keepers

Goram, Klos, MacGregor

Defenders

Jardine  Greig, Smith, Butcher, Forsyth, Gough,  Numan, Van Bronkhorst

Midfield

Baxter, Gascoigne, Laudrup, Albertz, Souness, Barry Ferguson, Cooper, Durrant,

Strikers

Hateley, McCoist, Ronald De Boer, Henderson

5 minutes ago, bg1872 said:

Yeah you're right about a place for McCann. I don't think I've seen anyone deliver a better ball as consistently as he did. As for De Boer, one of my all time favourites. He always made something happen. Bags of quality.

Just looking at it, I'd have a place for David Robertson ahead of papac and Gary Stevens aswell.

2 hours ago, gersandy said:

Craig Moore was unreal for a couple of seasons.

Craig was a great player for us and I am not taking that away from him, that is why I said I was being picky but Davie Weir lead the line at his ripe old age for over four years at the end. i haven't seen a better defence since the old man left than the one we have now.

That is not taking away from our Craig if your being ousted by Davie, I am sure he would understand.

Goram
Klos
McGregor

Richard Gough
Davie Weir
John Brown
Majic Bougherra
Arthur Numan
Davie Robertson
Gary Stevens
Alan Hutton 

Barry Ferguson 
Ian Ferguson 
Paul Gascoigne 
Neil McCann 
Ian Durrant
R. De Boer
Brian Laudrup
Gio Van Bronckhorst 

Ally Mccoist
Mark Hateley 
Dado Prso
Michael Mols

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

Keepers

Goram, Klos, MacGregor

Defenders

Jardine  Greig, Smith, Butcher, Forsyth, Gough,  Numan, Van Bronkhorst

Midfield

Baxter, Gascoigne, Laudrup, Albertz, Souness, Barry Ferguson, Cooper, Durrant,

Strikers

Hateley, McCoist, Ronald De Boer, Henderson

No Colin Stein? As a 70s chap? Could Ally and Colin have played together? Hard to leave Hayley out tho. Loved Willie Henderson! 

Great squad btw! 

1 hour ago, Bluepeter9 said:

No Colin Stein? As a 70s chap? Could Ally and Colin have played together? Hard to leave Hayley out tho. Loved Willie Henderson! 

Great squad btw! 

Big decision was whether to have Derek Johnstone in the squad as either centre half or centre forward. instead of Hateley, Johnstone the better player, but Hateley just had so much presence and could really upset defenders. Stein for me was am almost, not as prolific as McCoist, not as good in the air as Johnstone and less skilled and confident than De Boer,

If my heart had picked the squad  MacDonald and Mclean would have been in. 

GK

Goram, Klos, Woods

Fullbacks

Caldow, Numan, Robertson, Stevens

Centre Backs

Gough,  Butcher, Cuellar, Roberts

Centre Midfielders

Baxter, Albertz, Gascoigne, Wilkins, Ian Ferguson 

Wingers

Henderson, Cooper, Laudrup,  De Boer

Strikers

Mcoist, Forrest, Stein, Hateley 

1 hour ago, BlueThunder said:

I can’t believe there is no love for Trevor Steven on here at all. Cracking player. 

1 hour ago, tannerall said:

Cannigia and Wilkins would have walked in to most World Cup squads too.

If it wasn't solely for players we've seen in our time as a supporter I'd have Steven and Wilkins in; former was winding down when I first started really following football. 

Cannigia was one of my favourites during his time with us. Totally overlooked him. I'd probably actually place him in the team instead of Jelavić now you've reminded me. 

Goram
Klos
McGregor

Butcher
Stevens
Numan
Roberts
Gough
Amoruso
Robertson
Jardine

B. Ferguson
Souness
Gascoigne
Albertz
Van Bronkhorst
Durrant
Laudrup
Cooper

McCoist
Mols
R. De Boer
Hateley

Here's mine, with everyone at their peak for us. Durrant and Mols pre injury. I started going regularly late 70s, but was probably a bit young ( born June 71) to fully appreciate some players then, but Cooper and Jardine stuck out a mile. 

6 hours ago, Orange and Blue said:

Gk, Woods, Goram, Klos

LB, Stevens, Numan, Papac

RB,  Robertson, Ricksen, Hutton

CB, Gough, Amoruso, Weir

CB, Butcher, Moore, Bougherra

LM, Cooper, Walters, Laudrup

RM, Huistra, Kanchelskis, McCann

CM, Wilkins, Gascoigne, B.Ferguson

CM, McCall, Durrant, Albertz

CF, McCoist, Prso, Jelavic

CF Hateley, Novo, Boyd

Highlighted players would be my first team. But loved every player on this list.

Good team, but you need to swap over Robertson and Stevens. Robertson a left back, and Stevens a right back.

6 hours ago, tannerall said:

Big decision was whether to have Derek Johnstone in the squad as either centre half or centre forward. instead of Hateley, Johnstone the better player, but Hateley just had so much presence and could really upset defenders. Stein for me was am almost, not as prolific as McCoist, not as good in the air as Johnstone and less skilled and confident than De Boer,

If my heart had picked the squad  MacDonald and Mclean would have been in. 

Aye Two more great players as well - I loved Stein ( and then Derek Parlane ) - Greig was the standout of that era for me tho - Baxter was mercurial at times but Greig for his consistency and leadership is ‘the man’ - loved that big tam Forsyth made it as welll - was that for his wonder goal ( from 6 inches :lol: ) to win the 100th SC against them?

18 hours ago, KingKai said:

Too true Oz!

That's the ultimate description of "impossible" I think. I remember doing one of these a few years ago (I think it was a team, not a squad)  and I had no sooner selected it than I was changing my mind within 10 seconds.

It's hard enough trying to select players from even one decade, never mind from over six. To give an example, a player who many won't even know his name, yet was the greatest centre-half in Rangers history, will hardly be mentioned in this thread, except by a few; that man was the mercurial Willie Woodburn, who arguably was the greatest in footballing history, never mind in Rangers/Scottish history.

12 minutes ago, Ozblue said:

That's the ultimate description of "impossible" I think. I remember doing one of these a few years ago (I think it was a team, not a squad)  and I had no sooner selected it than I was changing my mind within 10 seconds.

It's hard enough trying to select players from even one decade, never mind from over six. To give an example, a player who many won't even know his name, yet was the greatest centre-half in Rangers history, will hardly be mentioned in this thread, except by a few; that man was the mercurial Willie Woodburn, who arguably was the greatest in footballing history, never mind in Rangers/Scottish history.

?

Great post mate.

I missed seeing him play OZ .... but still remember my Dad and uncles raving  about him that much it seems like I had seen him play.

There's now plenty of info out there that describes Willie Woodburn's outstanding ability as a centre half .... with a style way before it's time .... but the stories from family and friends were all we youngsters (back then) had to go by and are the ones that are most vivid and I wouldn't change that for the world.

Great Op ... but I have to decline, as I also have quite a few players that I would have to leave out of an all time great Rangers team .... my good old memories won't allow that mate ... suffice to say each decade has had it's "special talents" and they all hold wonderful and unfortunately not so wonderful memories of success and failure ... that's the beauty of this game and of course the team we all support.

:UK: