Pick one "derby" in world football.

bluenose244

2 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

I think River are the aristocracy of BA and Boca are the whinging immigrants, I’m sure our South America correspondent @bluedylan could clarify.

Don't care about that stuff tbh. 

Strip's a stoater, but.

cuadros-idolos-de-river-plate-el-grafico

23 minutes ago, Inigo said:

River for me. For no other reason than I always liked their strip and name.

Did you know River fans call Boca "the little pigs" because play in the poorer area and smell ?   

Also River originated in the poor Boca district themselves. 

I slightly prefer Boca due to the Maradona connection, but would probably feel just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) watching from either end.

2 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Did you know River fans call Boca "the little pigs" because play in the poorer area and smell ?   

Also River originated in the poor Boca district themselves. 

I slightly prefer Boca due to the Maradona connection, but would probably feel just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) watching from either end.

I didn't know that. I know virtually nothing about it tbh, other than the famous atmosphere, the grounds and some of the more famous players.

Generally I try my best not to choose my favourite teams based on these things. To leave local politics and such like to local people. You get some fans that transpose the politics of here, and of our derby, onto the politics of other derbies, like Barca and Madrid and pick favourite teams based on that, which makes no real sense.

Sadly the Boca/Racing Derby suffered a tragedy similar to our own in 1968 when 71 fans died in a crush on stairway 12 with hundreds injured as they left the game. 

Suggestions were made that fireworks and burning of flags contributed to it, and even that the exit turnstyle had been locked shut, but the real cause was never established.

By the time I was 12 I knew about forty derbies in Britain that us Gers were interested in ranging form Gers/cellic, hibs/hearts, down to the Bens/Ants and Peasy/Rocks, and even the English Manchester and Liverpool derbies. 

I also knew by that age which sides were the prods and which the tims. 

Not sure what to make of that.

2 hours ago, bluedylan said:

Been to Derbies in various parts of South America nothing comes close to a Buenos Aires derby although I would say River v Boca is where the real hatred is.Lazio v Roma a couple of years back was not a sell out, stadium was 3/4:full and that is being generous ,it was a midweek game though.Probably the best atmosphere I attended though was Semi final of Copa Libertadores River v Vasco de Gama  under the lights and  ticker tape welcome whe teams came out,unbelievable ...couple of stubs from games I kept from 20 odd years ago The Maracana was a crumbling deathtrap and soulless on the few occasions I was there.

20180911_201711.jpg

Lucky bastard! 

I went to United v Liverpool a good few years ago it was pretty tame to be honest, football was phenomenal though.. Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso to name a few. 

Ajax v Feyenoord was a lot more like it as far as atmosphere goes, pretty decent to be honest, and all the Ajax fans where class with me thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I was also in Amsterdam when Germany came to play Holland one time, couldn't get a ticket but you could feel the hatred all over the city, walked from a Dutch area through a police barrier and ended up where the German fans where drinking they where absolutely bonkers. 

19 minutes ago, bluenose244 said:

Lucky bastard! 

I went to United v Liverpool a good few years ago it was pretty tame to be honest, football was phenomenal though.. Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso to name a few. 

Ajax v Feyenoord was a lot more like it as far as atmosphere goes, pretty decent to be honest, and all the Ajax fans where class with me thoroughly enjoyed it. 

I was also in Amsterdam when Germany came to play Holland one time, couldn't get a ticket but you could feel the hatred all over the city, walked from a Dutch area through a police barrier and ended up where the German fans where drinking they where absolutely bonkers. 

There is a great book called Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper it goes into the deep hatred between the Dutch and Germans

11 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

There is a great book called Football Against The Enemy by Simon Kuper it goes into the deep hatred between the Dutch and Germans

It's to do with the war is it not? 

Although I thought countries like Poland, Ukraine and the Baltics suffered a lot more at the hands of Nazi Germany...

Read a book called Bloodlands last year about the holocaust and the countries between Berlin and Moscow, was very difficult to read some parts, it was quiet literally hell on earth, the atrocities of Hitler and Stalin should never be forgotten.