Rangers scarf in the coffin

The Widow's Son

Many years ago, I attended a funeral in Scotland - paid my respects at the home of the deceased and his family were big bluenoses.  There was a Rangers scarf in the coffin.  The deceased also wore a lodge tie and a Rangers lapel badge  a Just a quick question: does this still happen in auld Scotia?  Somehow it seems to belong to a different age and yet it's comforting for us auld yins.  Apologies beforehand if this brings up sad memories for anyone.  

3 hours ago, badjon said:

My dad passed away and I did put his old scarf in the coffin the night before the service. It was a very old scarf, tattered to be honest, but just felt it was the right thing to do. My dad grew up not far from Ibrox and by the time me and my sister were born he was in England with us. Never moved back to Glasgow but he passed Rangers on to me. People sometimes remark that I have a BBC type of voice which is true but underneath that I have my Partick mums voice and my dads love of our club. He was a real star. Eglinton street is where he was from.

Beith?

Mates father inlaw died and was asked for a Rangers flag to put over his coffin. Mate is a tim but his inlaws are all good Rangers fans, they asked if it was ok to bury flag with him said aye so gave him nine in a row flag.

Of course it still happens.  I’m sure Barry Ferguson said a few years back he’s going out with his Rangers top on.  Hopefully not full kit, boots and shinnies though.  That would be weird!

Proud to read some of the above posts. Very heartwarming as the many haters try and demean us at every turn as a support. You just know that they will never succeed.

And to think some people say how can you be like that over what's described as just a game of football. They don't get it, they really don't. 

4 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Loved reading the responses to this post.  Sometimes when you live away from Scotland and come from another time period, you tend to think that the fans are not as strong or staunch as they were in your day.  No evidence of this in these posts.

Thanks mate.

when my dad died i put in some Rangers stuff for him. one of my home tops folded up and a necklace with the crest. he never wore it while alive so we just put it over his chest. we put in some other small things for him. he loved a game of poker so we stuck some cards and a chip in. made sure he was wearing his smartest clothes.

the necklace looked like this:

s-l300.jpg

and the top i put in was this one:

9a34ce5041dde96a038887b0f6ca28bc.jpg