RIP Kevin Beattie

1 hour ago, bluedylan said:

Absolutely superb player in a fantastic footballing side

Aye, Auld enough to remember that side, Ran Liverpool very close the one season iirc and Liverpool were in their pomp then as well, Brilliant team they had back then with the likes of Mick mills, John wark, Trevor whymark and Paul mariner

14 minutes ago, pcbear said:

That was some team and for whatever reasons a fantastic talent like Beattie never realised his potential, he would have played in the same team as Alan Brazil, Muhren/Thysen/Gates et al.

To think Muhren and Thysen were probably the only foreigners playing in the league then...how times change

Just now, Fred H Crawford said:

How did you forget Ardiles and Villa mate ?  Also plenty of foreigners like Brady , Stapleton & O'Leary ?

Yeah did forget them to be honest and now I come to think of it an another player from Argentina played for Birmingham City...curly haired guy forget his name

Just now, bluedylan said:

Yeah did forget them to be honest and now I come to think of it an another player from Argentina played for Birmingham City...curly haired guy forget his name

Alberto Tarantini , Lunatic full back . I don't think he lasted too long , strange considering the likes of Tommy Smith , Norman Hunter and Ron Harris are all legends !

11 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

To think Muhren and Thysen were probably the only foreigners playing in the league then...how times change

Maybe not the only ones but a very small% now 70 odd percent are foreigners and showing no sign of slowing up, all to the detriment of the national team.

2 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Big Terry Butcher would also have been his team mate.

I think that Beattie's injuries helped Butcher to get into the side originally . Alan Hunter & Russell Osman were also involved at that time , Robson certainly seems to have been a lucky man to have those choices for CB .

9 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

I think that Beattie's injuries helped Butcher to get into the side originally . Alan Hunter & Russell Osman were also involved at that time , Robson certainly seems to have been a lucky man to have those choices for CB .

I never realised  Beattie was a CB, i thought  he was a midfielder.

4 minutes ago, pcbear said:

I never realised  Beattie was a CB, i thought  he was a midfielder.

Mainly remember him as a CB but you're right that he also had the ability to be a quality midfield player as well . 

I've read a few articles about him and how highly Robson rated him , When he was struggling to train in between games Robson let him go back home to Carlisle during the week even though he knew that Beattie would be on the drink for most of the time , but that come Saturday he would still be one of the teams top performers .