Our Game in Vienna

Edmiston Drive

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m in my late 20s ? 

But I think even since when I was a kid the dramatic sense of the Champions League has dwindled.

Was only talking to a guy in work today about how I loved as a kid watching Bayern on TV in the 1998-2002 period.

I think the magic of the competiton has gone, especially now it’s the same teams year on year.

There was still your top teams but the great players of that era seemed to spread out amongst them rather than be concentrated to Madrid , Barca or lately PSG. You had a very strong Italian league at that time , a few German teams in leverkusen and Dortmund able to put down genuine challenges , even Leeds  gave it a good go one year . Porto winning it. Even when us and the beggars got some of the top teams , you always thought both of us  stood a chance at Ibrox or parkhead. Celtics results and reaction lately show that getting skelped by 5 at home is acceptable these days due to the huge gulf between the elite clubs and the rest. 

4 hours ago, hammer93 said:

ED to this day a lot of people reckon that would have been our year to win the European cup, I think we lost 3-2 to Inter in the quarters, Inter would go on to lift the trophy but many people felt that we would of beat Inter with Baxter in the side.

Love these old kind of threads . 

A bit before my time , but we scored at Ibrox after just 7 minutes to bring us within a goal of taking it to a play off game . Unfortunately we just couldn't manage it , but given how close the tie was , you can't help but wonder what difference a player of the magnitude of Jim Baxter would have made .

As you say , inter went on to win it and people I know that remember it have always maintained it could have easily been us had it not been for those last couple of minutes in Vienna . 

2 hours ago, cr3_bear said:

There was still your top teams but the great players of that era seemed to spread out amongst them rather than be concentrated to Madrid , Barca or lately PSG. You had a very strong Italian league at that time , a few German teams in leverkusen and Dortmund able to put down genuine challenges , even Leeds  gave it a good go one year . Porto winning it. Even when us and the beggars got some of the top teams , you always thought both of us  stood a chance at Ibrox or parkhead. Celtics results and reaction lately show that getting skelped by 5 at home is acceptable these days due to the huge gulf between the elite clubs and the rest. 

Some of the great runs that I loved were Hajduk Split in 94/95, Nantes and Panathanaikos in 95/96 and Dynamo Kyiv in 1998/99.

Fiorentina were a great team to watch in 99/00 too.

4 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I’m in my late 20s ? 

But I think even since when I was a kid the dramatic sense of the Champions League has dwindled.

Was only talking to a guy in work today about how I loved as a kid watching Bayern on TV in the 1998-2002 period.

I think the magic of the competiton has gone, especially now it’s the same teams year on year.

It's a pile of shite now. Extorsion racket for the top clubs hoovering up the advertising money

23 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Some of the great runs that I loved were Hajduk Split in 94/95, Nantes and Panathanaikos in 95/96 and Dynamo Kyiv in 1998/99.

Fiorentina were a great team to watch in 99/00 too.

I always remember watching prso scoring 5 one game for Monaco. Think he scored the quickest hat trick in champions league football at that time. A year later the big man was playing for us 

On 17/09/2018 at 15:24, Edmiston Drive said:

Back in 68-69 we played DWS Amsterdam in Fair Cities Cup sure I read that Dick Adv played for them against us

we  lost tae NUFC in the semis that is another special game I will never forget 

As promised.

No Advocaat he was at Den Haag at the time - just looked it up.

But includes Jan Jongbloed and Rob Rensenbrink who both played in the World Cup Finals in 74 and 78.

359429FD-5EE5-4C4B-B35B-5B3E2166E5F5.jpeg

8533FB95-EECA-4BE0-BE62-D4642430EB0A.jpeg

On 17/09/2018 at 14:55, Edmiston Drive said:

I was at the Real game with my dad re the return game 6-0  Scott Symon played the youngest forward line for a British team in Europe and stands tae this day 

Henderson,Willoughby,Forrest,Big  Dandy, Craig Watson only Big Dandy was a bought player

even better when they got back after school  Bella Primary we were invited up by Davie Marshalls eldest son (a classmate" and got tae try on Puskas's top that he gave tae Alex

memories  juke box full of them 

Was the Real first leg televised? Highlights maybe?

I seem to have a vague memory of sitting in my granny’s watching that game, I would have been seven so it’s not very clear.

13 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

As promised.

No Advocaat he was at Den Haag at the time - just looked it up.

But includes Jan Jongbloed and Rob Rensenbrink who both played in the World Cup Finals in 74 and 78.

359429FD-5EE5-4C4B-B35B-5B3E2166E5F5.jpeg

8533FB95-EECA-4BE0-BE62-D4642430EB0A.jpeg

Thanks for getting back re the above .

will need tae tell you my  story about both games  v  NUFC one day 

12 hours ago, harlands plater said:

Was the Real first leg televised? Highlights maybe?

I seem to have a vague memory of sitting in my granny’s watching that game, I would have been seven so it’s not very clear.

There' a video kicking about on You Tube 

still recall that last minute run by Gento (spelling)!and his low cross into our box  and bang we lost 0-1

if you had attended Bella Primary instead of Drumoyne then you would have tried Puskas's jersey on that he gave Alex Willoughby after tge away game 

On 17/09/2018 at 14:55, Edmiston Drive said:

I was at the Real game with my dad re the return game 6-0  Scott Symon played the youngest forward line for a British team in Europe and stands tae this day 

Henderson,Willoughby,Forrest,Big  Dandy, Craig Watson only Big Dandy was a bought player

even better when they got back after school  Bella Primary we were invited up by Davie Marshalls eldest son (a classmate" and got tae try on Puskas's top that he gave tae Alex

memories  juke box full of them 

Must have been amazing to watch proper Rangers legends and a great Real Madrid team also

On 17/09/2018 at 20:34, cr3_bear said:

I always remember watching prso scoring 5 one game for Monaco. Think he scored the quickest hat trick in champions league football at that time. A year later the big man was playing for us 

He scored 4 mate Messi was the first to break the 5 goal record then a Brazilian done it a few year back to.

6 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

Must have been amazing to watch proper Rangers legends and a great Real Madrid team also

5 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

He scored 4 mate Messi was the first to break the 5 goal record then a Brazilian done it a few year back to.

It was indeed as European football wasn't that old and no TVs saturation but you knew the top teams and we used tae get them at their peek like Real , Eintracht Frankfurt who grubbed us in the semi tae play Real at Hampden in the Final and Inter plus Bayern, Dortmund  and few others as they started out with their great teams 

13 minutes ago, The No.9 said:

Should add re tge forward line we played in the return game I'm sure big Dandy was the only one that wasn't a teenager as he was early 20s

Gents, a real joy to read through a thread with stories being regaled of games I remember as a kid.....................and not a c***, t***, or any other personal insult being bandied about (as happens in a lot of threads now).

Just how the forum should be.

:rangers:

2 hours ago, backup said:

Young Jim Forrest and Young Wullie Henderson played against tgat Real team, none of the push we need experience if you were good enough and the baws experience meant meant hee haw 

this experience crap is tae safe guard older players and an excuse for not playing players no matter if teenagers 

3 minutes ago, Edmiston Drive said:

Young Jim Forrest and Young Wullie Henderson played against tgat Real team, none of the push we need experience if you were good enough and the baws experience meant 

?

Dead on ED ..... anyone who played the game back then, from school the BB, to any of the many many top amateur clubs, knew that they had to be talented if they were ever to be picked up by any of the top pro teams .... then there was The Rangers, where you had to be that extra bit talented.

There was none or very little development of youth players back then .... you had to be special to play for The Gers .... lots of broken hearts back then when you realised the dream of playing for the team you loved would never materialise .... but that's what makes our Club so special .... since the beginning we have always strived for excellence .... hence why us older Bears can sometimes come over a wee bit smug (and rightly so I'm afraid) when you think of the superb local and foreign talent we actually saw in the flesh. 

Today, any young aspiring player has so much more opportunity, and indeed much, much more financial incentive to become a professional due to the top facilities available to them for their development.

Back then the players' wages (even Real Madrid players) were not that great either, but when you compare the talent that was served up every other Saturday back then compared to today .... I'd say we got the better deal.

As you said mate .....  If you were good enough and had some balls, experience meant sfa back then ..... and when you were chosen for the first team you were just expected to be a good player .... as the expectations of the crowd and the standards of the Club were very high.

:UK:

2 hours ago, Bobby Hume said:

?

Dead on ED ..... anyone who played the game back then, from school the BB, to any of the many many top amateur clubs, knew that they had to be talented if they were ever to be picked up by any of the top pro teams .... then there was The Rangers, where you had to be that extra bit talented.

There was none or very little development of youth players back then .... you had to be special to play for The Gers .... lots of broken hearts back then when you realised the dream of playing for the team you loved would never materialise .... but that's what makes our Club so special .... since the beginning we have always strived for excellence .... hence why us older Bears can sometimes come over a wee bit smug (and rightly so I'm afraid) when you think of the superb local and foreign talent we actually saw in the flesh. 

Today, any young aspiring player has so much more opportunity, and indeed much, much more financial incentive to become a professional due to the top facilities available to them for their development.

Back then the players' wages (even Real Madrid players) were not that great either, but when you compare the talent that was served up every other Saturday back then compared to today .... I'd say we got the better deal.

As you said mate .....  If you were good enough and had some balls, experience meant sfa back then ..... and when you were chosen for the first team you were just expected to be a good player .... as the expectations of the crowd and the standards of the Club were very high.

Bobby Hume, all day long regards your post bud ??????

If you go back tae Ferguson's  Aberdeen and MacLeans Dundee Utd they gave opportunity to younger players. I knew guys from both clubs and they said if they got into first team they woukd not be judged over one game 

Feeguson at St Mirren did similar as I knew guys from Harmony Row and my School who went there 

Indeed one of them Ally MacLeod  from school scored 4 against as at Ibrox in a League Cup game, he was desperate  to play for The Rangers went to Southhampton and  then played with Best at Hivs and Best raved about him 

You had tae have that something extra tae get signed I remember the days we had the pick of ScotlNd schoolboys usually after the game against England 

49 minutes ago, Edmiston Drive said:

Bobby Hume, all day long regards your post bud ??????

If you go back tae Ferguson's  Aberdeen and MacLeans Dundee Utd they gave opportunity to younger players. I knew guys from both clubs and they said if they got into first team they woukd not be judged over one game 

Feeguson at St Mirren did similar as I knew guys from Harmony Row and my School who went there 

Indeed one of them Ally MacLeod  from school scored 4 against as at Ibrox in a League Cup game, he was desperate  to play for The Rangers went to Southhampton and  then played with Best at Hivs and Best raved about him 

You had tae have that something extra tae get signed I remember the days we had the pick of ScotlNd schoolboys usually after the game against England 

?

Correct mate .... there were a few managers, like you say, who were forward thinkers and due to their budgets were to a great extent dependant on giving young players a good start .... in a sense necessity was the mother of invention in their cases.

Symon was also prepared to give youngsters a chance ... but they had to have that extra spark when it came to The Rangers .... and boy there's been a few who were electric .... Henderson being a prime example.

• 2 months later...