Club urged SFA not to help Rangers in 2008

Gandalf the Blue

What I find very funny is the taigs in my work today are trying to justify this by saying they didn't get any help prior to their uefa cup final.

The week heading into the final they had no games to play, so they could be prepared.

We had 2 game to play the week heading into the final. 

21 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

I thought the whole of scottish football benefited tho?

Think about it this way. Due to the actions of one chairman...we didn't have enough time to prepare for Zenit as we could have. 

So my question is. If we had won, would we have have increased the co-efficient higher than it did for the runners up place. Could this then have led to Scotland losing it's 2nd team spot in the Champions league a couple of seasons later...which (since we won the league for the next 3 years) in turn hurt/penalised the wanker and his club to out of sheer hatred and shortsightedness tried to hurt us...

...KARMA'S AND BITCH AIN'T IT LIE-WELL YA CUNT!

4 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Stop answering questions with a question, woman.

Tell me about that regulation, what it entails, and why there appears to be a breach that would fall under CO remit.

And after that, feel free to email:-

Info@scottishfa.co.uk 

and ask them ?

LOL How do I know if i'm correct unless I ask questions in this debate? The rules are quite complex to a mere woman like me. You wouldn't expect me to complain until I have all my facts correct, would you?? 

46 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

What I find very funny is the taigs in my work today are trying to justify this by saying they didn't get any help prior to their uefa cup final.

The week heading into the final they had no games to play, so they could be prepared.

We had 2 game to play the week heading into the final. 

for me this has nothing to do with hindering our UEFA cup final but everything to dog with making it as difficult as possible for us to win the league and allow the tarriers Champions league cash 

4 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

for me this has nothing to do with hindering our UEFA cup final but everything to dog with making it as difficult as possible for us to win the league and allow the tarriers Champions league cash 

I would honestly say it was both mate.

Hindering us going into the UEFA cup and making it difficult to win the league as well. 

this is 100pc the work of Reid. 

When we went into admin Salmond publicly stated the Scottish government would do all it could to help us .

within hours lieswell was out stating no government help should be allowed for ant club ,so salmond backed down and we were on our own .

Ironic that the taigs get plenty help from local government. free land and land at well under market value are only 2 examples of government assistance 

Just now, BlueKnight87 said:

I would honestly say it was both mate.

Hindering us going into the UEFA cup and making it difficult to win the league as well. 

of course they wouldn't want us winning against zenit .but that wouldn't affect their balance sheet as much as us winning the league .

since lieswellhas been there there main objective is making money .winning is a bonus 

Just now, magic8ball said:

of course they wouldn't want us winning against zenit .but that wouldn't affect their balance sheet as much as us winning the league .

since lieswellhas been there there main objective is making money .winning is a bonus 

The funny thing is. Imagine the boost it would have been to the Scottish game if we won it. Coefficient points, prestige etc. 

All flushed down the pan to ensure lawell and the taigs got the league. 

1 hour ago, BlueKnight87 said:

The funny thing is. Imagine the boost it would have been to the Scottish game if we won it. Coefficient points, prestige etc. 

Exactly the whole game would have benefited. I don't think GP should name names publicly though.  I think he's said enough to warrant an investigation, where he can give them the name of this chairman and let them disclose who it is in their report. Also I think questions should be asked about celtic's japan trip as that ultimately stopped an adequate extension.

On 17/09/2018 at 18:05, Gandalf the Blue said:

Former Scottish FA president George Peat says a club chairman urged him "not to help Rangers in any way" amid a fixture backlog in 2008.

The Ibrox side were competing on three fronts near the end of season 2007-08, having already won the League Cup.

They lost the Uefa Cup final to Zenit St Petersburg and finished second to celtic in the Scottish Premier League but won the Scottish Cup.

"The prominent club asked me not to and I refused," Peat told BBC Scotland.

Rangers played five games over 11 days at the end of the 2007-08 season, with the SPL responsible for the league fixture scheduling and the SFA having oversight of the Scottish Cup.

The Ibrox side had two league games in hand and the finale to the SPL campaign was delayed for top-half sides from 18 May to 22 May so all six teams finished on the same day. 

After losing to Zenit in Manchester on 14 May, Rangers played rearranged league fixtures against Motherwell (17 May) and St Mirren (19 May) before losing against Aberdeen on 22 May as celtic beat Dundee United to finish top of the table with a three-point lead.

Rangers then beat Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup final two days later.

When discussing his presidency from 2007-11, Peat was asked about what disappointments he had from his time with the SFA.

And he explained: "There were certain things that disappointed me. One in particular disappointed me.

"I remember when Rangers got to the final in Manchester. I got a phone call from a prominent chairman of a club requesting me not to help Rangers in any way.

"And it so happened that I had already had a meeting with Lex Gold at the SPL because what we were willing to do was to extend the season because of the fixture pile-up that Rangers had and I was most disappointed when I got back to the office to receive this call to ask me not to help them in any way.

"That really stuck in my throat."

Bitter bastards

I wonder what else caused him disappointment. 

2 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

also the most important thing 

sporting integrity had to be upheld .

gives me the pip every time I here that buzz word

32 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

also the most important thing 

sporting integrity had to be upheld .

gives me the pip every time I here that buzz word

I've just re-read this article  https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/uefa-and-fifa-could-snub-our-game-if-radical-sfa-revamp-happens-insists-george-peat/ar-BBJoErd

and these passages stands out

1. A document has been drawn up that includes two proposals, with the most revolutionary involving a plan to scrap the SFA and SPFL and replace them with a new body under an independent chairman.
  2. Lawwell is one of the agitators for change and recently told the BBC: “There should be a restructuring, re-organising that allows the SFA to be fit for that purpose.” Peat, who stepped down as president in 2011, fears the motives of leading clubs if they are allowed absolute power to influence the game.

I wonder if GP has released this 2008 info as a warning to all clubs, that sporting integrity is not PL/Reid/ Celtics end game, but more to do with what was said in the article above, as it does seem as though PL/celtic have been pushing for absolute power to influence the game. 

On 17/09/2018 at 18:05, Gandalf the Blue said:

Former Scottish FA president George Peat says a club chairman urged him "not to help Rangers in any way" amid a fixture backlog in 2008.

And he explained: "There were certain things that disappointed me. One in particular disappointed me.

"I remember when Rangers got to the final in Manchester. I got a phone call from a prominent chairman of a club requesting me not to help Rangers in any way.

"And it so happened that I had already had a meeting with Lex Gold at the SPL because what we were willing to do was to extend the season because of the fixture pile-up that Rangers had and I was most disappointed when I got back to the office to receive this call to ask me not to help them in any way.

"That really stuck in my throat."

So what he's saying is 'a certain club' told them what to do and they did it? What about being independent and doing what's best for scottish football.  Surely something needs done about this if that's the case

9 minutes ago, moody blue 1972 said:

So what he's saying is 'a certain club' told them what to do and they did it? What about being independent and doing what's best for scottish football.  Surely something needs done about this if that's the case

He told them he wouldn't do it, and what they suggested 'stuck in his throat'.  Rangers got a small extension as celtic blocked any further extension stating they had a Japan tour arranged.

16 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

He told them he wouldn't do it, and what they suggested 'stuck in his throat'.  Rangers got a small extension as celtic blocked any further extension stating they had a Japan tour arranged.

The season was not extended, the last game was the Scottish cup final and played on it's original scheduled date. The league did finish 4 days later than planned but the only alternative to that would have been for us to play Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun...given celtic complained about the delayed finish I guess that was their preferred solution!

If they did extend the season by delaying the Scottish Cup Final it would have freed up another weekend for league business, as it was we played our final 3 league games in 6 days, dropping 5 points and losing league by 3!

20 minutes ago, nelsonRFC82 said:

The season was not extended, the last game was the Scottish cup final and played on it's original scheduled date. The league did finish 4 days later than planned but the only alternative to that would have been for us to play Sat, Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun...given celtic complained about the delayed finish I guess that was their preferred solution!

If they did extend the season by delaying the Scottish Cup Final it would have freed up another weekend for league business, as it was we played our final 3 league games in 6 days, dropping 5 points and losing league by 3!

Thanks I stand correct,  I didn't realise it was due to a delay. Questions should be asked about Peter Lawwell's claim that celtic had a Japan tour scheduled, as that ultimately stopped an adequate extension. The whole of Scottish football was robbed with Lawwell's lie.

Suspect the reason why the guy was so disgusted by this is that it wasn't done to benefit the callers club, it was done by a chairman of a club with nothing to gain either way,  out of straight hatred/jealousy of Rangers.  The tarriers were quite vocal and open about their view, ie that we shouldn't be helped,  that's when they piped up with the sporting integrity pish.

13 hours ago, magic8ball said:

this is 100pc the work of Reid. 

When we went into admin Salmond publicly stated the Scottish government would do all it could to help us .

within hours lieswell was out stating no government help should be allowed for ant club ,so salmond backed down and we were on our own .

Ironic that the taigs get plenty help from local government. free land and land at well under market value are only 2 examples of government assistance 

Ironically Hearts got all the help in the world. It makes me absolutely raging.

Surely there must have been rumblings in the football world about this revelation in 2008? Or did Peat keep this to himself for all these years? Why has he never came out before now? I wonder if he was paid off to keep quiet but suddenly now has got a conscience? it's all very strange. 

7 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

Thanks I stand correct,  I didn't realise it was due to a delay. Questions should be asked about Peter Lawwell's claim that celtic had a Japan tour scheduled, as that ultimately stopped an adequate extension. The whole of Scottish football was robbed with Lawwell's lie.

You have tae wonder if that Chartered flight tae Japan is still at Glasgow airport as it must be costing them a fortune in fees 

????

"GEORGE PEAT thought ‘people would have guessed’ which club told him not to help Rangers amid their fixture pile-up in 2008."

"The ex-SFA president has reiterated he will not name the club which contacted him ten years ago."

If you've not got the bottle to name them George. Why bother bringing this up 10 years later