Playing out from the back

Broxi

21 minutes ago, FSM said:

I remember how annoyed we all got that Warburton always insisted on playing out from the back. "Just fucking punt it up the park Wes!!!!"

But it's ok now that Stevie suggests it.

Think we have the ability on the park now to be confident on the ball mate .... the big punt, hit and miss and hope style, that nine times out of ten only gives the opposition possession again is something we should avoid as much as possible.

All the more successful teams play in this manner ..... and it was rightly observed during MW's time that we lacked the players with the ability to play this style.

McGregor's only real weakness is his long ball out .... as it invariably misses the target or goes out of play .... so playing out from the back I believe would benefit us dramatically and should be part of our game for this reason.

:UK:

1 hour ago, FSM said:

I remember how annoyed we all got that Warburton always insisted on playing out from the back. "Just fucking punt it up the park Wes!!!!"

I don't think people were annoyed at us doing it, we were probably annoyed that we tried to do it in risky situations. Yesterday was a great blend of playing out when it was on and kicking it up when it wasn't. I think the possession we gained from doing it made a big difference. 

2 hours ago, FSM said:

Punt versus play out to the likes of Kiernan was the issue then. Now it's playing out to better players in a safer system. We're keeping possession and playing forward from it opposed to puting ourselves under pressure or losing goals.

Don't think it's to do with a Gerrard/ Warburton thing at all tbh. 

As others have mentioned there's a time and place for both. Sometimes a hoof up to lafferty will be the best option and other times out wide to Tav or Barasic would be better.

If we're going to be successful then we need to be capable of both and also aware of when to choose one option over the other. 

21 minutes ago, the old guard said:

Quite happy to mix it up and do both tbh

This is the best option. If you rely too much on playing it out from the back, such that all your tactics/play is based on starting from the back, then all a team needs to do is throw men forward to mark all of your defenders and your tactics are all to pot.

If you mix it up then you at least leave yourself with options and the ability to know what to do if you can’t play out from the back.

I remember our first year back in the Premier league teams just shut down our defence at bye-kicks and we didn’t know what to do as all of our play was based upon playing out from the back. So Fod has no choice but to hoof it and we were clueless.

Time and a place for everything, if we have to go long then we have press that ball it’s no use hoping the forward wins it and it falls kindly for us. We have to have runners off the forward looking for the knock down and the midfield looking to win the second ball if the forward doesn’t win it. 

We need to be able to do both, if you only do one or the other then you become predictable.

We also need players with the ability and intelligence to know when it's better to go long and when it's better to play out from the back.

So many times against Villarreal players made poor choices or just passed inaccurately, often when under little pressure.

3 hours ago, FSM said:

That's coz we never had players capable of moving it to the attackers. If we play with 1 upfront then we need as much possession as possible. 

13 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Time and a place for everything, if we have to go long then we have press that ball it’s no use hoping the forward wins it and it falls kindly for us. We have to have runners off the forward looking for the knock down and the midfield looking to win the second ball if the forward doesn’t win it. 

Or at least just the right winger needs to be able to knock it on with McGregor. 

4 hours ago, Broxi said:

I think it's something we need to do more of and I genuinely think it was a big reason why we played well last night. The amount of extra possession we had because we had the ball from the back and passed it around to the midfield was actually a significant amount of our possession, whereas if we had lumped it up the park like usual then we'd have lost 50% of that possession and may have found it difficult to have the ball.

Both goals last night came from kick outs wide by Mcgregor.