Playing out from the back

Broxi

14 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

It obviously is exactly that

We're treating them like the world beaters they think they are

It's fucking infuriating,we've seen what happens to them when teams get fucked into them. Instead we absolutely shite ourselves and let them walk all over us. We better fucking ruin them at Ibrox. Fenian bastards.

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

I think it's something we need to do more of and I genuinely think it was a big reason why we played well last night. The amount of extra possession we had because we had the ball from the back and passed it around to the midfield was actually a significant amount of our possession, whereas if we had lumped it up the park like usual then we'd have lost 50% of that possession and may have found it difficult to have the ball.

Glad and impressed we had the confidence to go to Spain and do that, and do it well. I genuinely thought we'd go there and Villarreal would run circles around us and we'd be chasing balls for 90 mins but we went there and played good football at times and credit to the team for that. 

No point doing the press if we're not going to keep possession after winning the ball back.

I think it's good to have a mix of styles as it keeps the opposition guessing.

Warburtons style was all one way of playing, which was great to watch at first, but with teams slowly seeing that it was the only way we played, they soon had our cards marked (so to speak).

17 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't understand why we can't beat celtic 

I still think some of our players lacked the confidence required. With our past record against the scum and the bookies giving odds of 6-1 against us it was a big ask away from home. 

I think it will be a different story when we meet at Ibrox. By then the team will have gelled, we will have faced teams much better than them in Europe and hopefully closed the gap in the league. 

20 hours ago, the old guard said:

Quite happy to mix it up and do both tbh

This 100% ,sometimes if you do it just for the sake of it the ball will be lost at your end of the pitch causing danger, on a different note just how good was our 2nd goal which was three touches in their half Middleton eye of a needle pass taking out the defenders Borasic's  hard and low cross also pinpoint with Lafferty using the pace of the ball with no little guile to guide it home, if there was a better team goal scored this week I would be surprised.

And another one what a signing McGregor has been as we are now accepting class saves as the norm instead of shitting ourselves every time the opposition were attacking half expecting a goal against us.

Our 2nd goal was from a McGregor clearance/pass to Middleton.

Villareals goal in the first minute helped us do that as they were happy to sit off after that and allow us to play from the back, once we moved it into midfield they closed us down very well and negated guys like coulibaly arfield etc

The difference in the 2nd half imo is we pushed higher so the defence were in midfield at times, 

20 hours ago, FSM said:

I remember how annoyed we all got that Warburton always insisted on playing out from the back. "Just fucking punt it up the park Wes!!!!"

But it's ok now that Stevie suggests it.

Warburton's idea started well and after that semi final the team were praised for the way they passed it.

But it went tits up in later games. Too many passes all over the pitch without scoring goals or hardly having a shot at goal and seemingly keeping possession for the sake of it. Too many stray passes and the opposition closing us down quickly showed we didn't have the level of player to make it a success.

Right now we are doing it better and are not afraid to mix it up between short and long passing.

21 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't understand why we can't beat celtic 

Watched sportscene the other week when st mirren should've beat them.

Celtics back line almost always pass the ball to brown who comes short for it and they create from there.

St Mirren let their back 3 have as much of the ball as they wanted, pressed high, and allowed no space to their players in midfield. That's what the European teams do to them also.

Our problem is we allow them all the space they want.

Seems obvious how to beat them :whistle:

1 hour ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Watched sportscene the other week when st mirren should've beat them.

Celtics back line almost always pass the ball to brown who comes short for it and they create from there.

St Mirren let their back 3 have as much of the ball as they wanted, pressed high, and allowed no space to their players in midfield. That's what the European teams do to them also.

Our problem is we allow them all the space they want.

Seems obvious how to beat them :whistle:

Again were talking about teams doing that to the tarriers in small grounds on small pitches compared to us doing it on the biggest pitch in Scotland after a 4000 mile round trip to russia and playing with 9 men for half an hour 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:00, FSM said:

I remember how annoyed we all got that Warburton always insisted on playing out from the back. "Just fucking punt it up the park Wes!!!!"

But it's ok now that Stevie suggests it.

Warburton demanded we play it out from the back on every occasion.  Because of this teams sat right on our back 4 and shut down Foderingham rapidly.  There was a number of times when I thought Foderignham was going to get caught or the receiving defender was immediately under pressure.  On the flip side, against celtic McGregor was just punting it long and we constantly gave away possession which was horrendous to watch.  The team must be willing to do both.  If possible, playing it out from the back is the better option as we keep possession.

Warburton's possession based play was over the top.  We'd get it in the final third and be passing it back rather than breaking in to the box.  We would pass it out from corners every single time becoming predictable to a ridiculous.  His unwillingness to change formation of playstyle was so hard headed it was doomed from the very beginning.