Plastic pitch on Sunday

Amac9

15 hours ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I have yet to hear any professional football player say he prefers artificial pitches.

The SPFL/SFA should ban them in the Premiership. It's a professional game not fucking Subbuteo!  Cunts are making a mockery of our game. 

As much as I have no love for St. Mirren, they had to agree to ensure their old stadium at Love Street was 10,000 seater, even though - aside from visits from ourselves and the taigs - it'd rarely, if ever, be near capacity. Falkirk were denied promotion due to their stadium being a shithole - Aberdeen thus spared relegation - and Gretna had to play in Motherwell. (Can anyone remember why the SPL rejected the proposal of Gretna hosting their home games in Carlisle? I'm sure both Carlisle and the FA stated it wouldn't be an issue on their end.) 

Why, then, are artifical surfaces allowed? Surely if teams can't afford a grass pitch they should not be in the league? Can Killie really not afford one? Or do they just use the money they save on maintaining a grass pitch towards paying players like Boyd, Burke and Broadford instead? 

5 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

As much as I have no love for St. Mirren, they had to agree to ensure their old stadium at Love Street was 10,000 seater, even though - aside from visits from ourselves and the taigs - it'd rarely, if ever, be near capacity. Falkirk were denied promotion due to their stadium being a shithole - Aberdeen thus spared relegation - and Gretna had to play in Motherwell. (Can anyone remember why the SPL rejected the proposal of Gretna hosting their home games in Carlisle? I'm sure both Carlisle and the FA stated it wouldn't be an issue on their end.) 

Why, then, are artifical surfaces allowed? Surely if teams can't afford a grass pitch they should not be in the league? Can Killie really not afford one? Or do they just use the money they save on maintaining a grass pitch towards paying players like Boyd, Burke and Broadford instead? 

Tally ho dilly dilly old chap etc  

On 27/09/2018 at 19:17, FSM said:

Maintenance costs. Why else do you think that clubs switch to plastic pitches?

Primarily maintenance costs, but other commercial considerations too. It can't be denied that there is some competitive advantage though, these pitches do not respond like grass. I watch semi pro football on my local pitch every week.. the first bounce checks and holds up, and tackling is very different, especially if it involves going to ground. 

We are fortunate to have a similar pitch at Auchterhowie, and I think that showed when we played Killie last month. Other teams don't have this advantage.