***The Official Rangers v Rapid Vienna Match Thread***

Bronzy

I don't think barasic has been that bad. Maybe not the type of player I thought we'd be getting in an attacking sense but he's been decent enough and the whole defence has suffered with the changes we keep making. A settled back 4 I think he'll look a lot better, same too with goldson actually 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, hooooootchy said:

I don't think barasic has been that bad. Maybe not the type of player I thought we'd be getting in an attacking sense but he's been decent enough and the whole defence has suffered with the changes we keep making. A settled back 4 I think he'll look a lot better, same too with goldson actually 

This all day long.

Its all well and good rotating mid to front to keep players fresh, but all successful sides are built on a consistent and effective defence. SG needs to decide his preferred backline and stay with it until injuries or suspensions dictate otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, TheCutch said:

This all day long.

Its all well and good rotating mid to front to keep players fresh, but all successful sides are built on a consistent and effective defence. SG needs to decide his preferred backline and stay with it until injuries or suspensions dictate otherwise. 

It's generally not critical if the strikers lose the ball due to poor communication/link up play

It's often not critical if the midfielders lose the ball due to poor communication/link up play

It's often critical when a defense and goalkeeper lose the ball due to poor communication/link up play 

It's not rocket science, it's not even science it's common sense.

Although elements of this post suggest that I, Jack The Flipper, may have had at some point, or have, or may have in the future some kind of common sense this does not mean it is true. I also do not consider myself to be a football managing professional, I also do not consider myself to be more intelligent than anyone else. I am simply a fan with an opinion. All opinions expressed by Jack The Flipper are to be taken as opinion only.

Barisic has done nothing wrong IMO. Caught out for Villarreals second but his assist for our second was class. He looks a lot more assured with Katic beside him. 

Has two assists already and it would be more if our players finished off chances. 

He’s been unlucky being cuptied, then injured then back into a game where the whole team were absolutely honking. 

Don’t know what people expected him to do on Sunday when he was literally playing on the wing himself, he was probably our best player all things considered. 

I think we’ll see him do quite well on Thursday. 

Guess it depends on fitness and availability of Dorrans, Katic, Rossiter, Jack etc as much as trying to move on from Sunday where there is an argument could be made against each outfield player deserving a starting jersey.

Think I'll wait til the presser before thinking about line up.

The pedestrian way Barisic went out to tackle the Livi wide player who knocked the ball in for their goal reminded me of the SG video clip from training where he said ‘no more lazy runs’ when going into tackle somebody.

Just one of countless worrying moments from the team from Sunday.  

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey said:

Wouldn't go as far as saying Barasic has been bad but he's definitely been underwhelming.

There was a huge overreaction when he signed. He's been okay but he seems a bit meek during the games. Maybe didn't know Scottish football would be like this.

I don't think Barisic has been poor, but he's certainly had a mixed bag in terms of performances.

His crossing is wasted when we don't bust a gut to get on the end of them. 

However, I think he will grow into the left back spot as the season goes on, it's a new league in a new country for him and he's playing in a new team that can flatter to deceive at times. For every good game some of the players have, you can point to 1 or 2 where they've been pretty poor as well. I think maybe Shagger is the exception to this.

I was frustrated against Livingston that he stuck to attacking the wings, bringing on Middleton etc. The pitch wasn't allowing that style, every player that tried running with the ball had to stop when it bobbled up under their feet. I think we should have gone far more direct and with 1 sub remaining at the end could have just chucked Katic up there to win headers.

Hopefully we see a more settled side as the season goes on, but I worry with Jack, Dorrans, Rossiter etc to come back, we could see more chopping and changing.

I'll go for a hard fought 1-0 win against Rapid.

3 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

Barisic has done nothing wrong IMO. Caught out for Villarreals second but his assist for our second was class. He looks a lot more assured with Katic beside him. 

Has two assists already and it would be more if our players finished off chances. 

He’s been unlucky being cuptied, then injured then back into a game where the whole team were absolutely honking. 

Don’t know what people expected him to do on Sunday when he was literally playing on the wing himself, he was probably our best player all things considered. 

I think we’ll see him do quite well on Thursday. 

You could see his frustration on Sunday due to the lack of decent service from Worrall, he gets the ball faster and with far more accurate passing from Katic.

5 minutes ago, Johnsey said:

I don't think Barisic has been poor, but he's certainly had a mixed bag in terms of performances.

His crossing is wasted when we don't bust a gut to get on the end of them. 

However, I think he will grow into the left back spot as the season goes on, it's a new league in a new country for him and he's playing in a new team that can flatter to deceive at times. For every good game some of the players have, you can point to 1 or 2 where they've been pretty poor as well. I think maybe Shagger is the exception to this.

I was frustrated against Livingston that he stuck to attacking the wings, bringing on Middleton etc. The pitch wasn't allowing that style, every player that tried running with the ball had to stop when it bobbled up under their feet. I think we should have gone far more direct and with 1 sub remaining at the end could have just chucked Katic up there to win headers.

Hopefully we see a more settled side as the season goes on, but I worry with Jack, Dorrans, Rossiter etc to come back, we could see more chopping and changing.

I'll go for a hard fought 1-0 win against Rapid.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Mr preferred line-up

713829050_RangersvsRapidWien.thumb.png.80b107eded540dc9b1a6ff46807d8ec8.png

McCrorie to return to allow Coulibaly to play as he had been when Jack was in the team and Arfield ahead of Ejaria as I think Ejaria may have more impact than Arfield coming off the bench.

Would also have considered Middleton starting but Kent has been excellent on the left in recent weeks so opted for Kent to start on the left then Middleton on for Candeias later in the game and swapping wings with Kent.

If Gerrard starts both Lafferty and Morelos I'm going to start getting worried.

36 minutes ago, LochendBilly said:

You could see his frustration on Sunday due to the lack of decent service from Worrall, he gets the ball faster and with far more accurate passing from Katic.

He's been a bit like Candeais for me in that hes not really a keen to take players on and hit the byline. If hes slid in then he'll go for it, but he rarely progresses with the ball attacking dangerous areas like Tav does.  He's crossed a couple of times to great effect, but not enough if that's the main asset he's offering us.

He's not looked strong defensively, nor has he looked particularly fit for 90 mins. How knackered he was at Motherwell 2nd half in particular was criminal.

He's far from made that position his own. A 5/10 start to his Rangers career for me, and though it is still early days, needs to learn quickly that being an average player isn't acceptable here.

Barasic hasn't hit top form yet but I think he's still getting used to the league and his teammates.  Will definitely help him if we could keep playing a stable back 4 and not make so many changes.  Need to play Tav, Goldson, Katic and Barasic for all games and only bring in other players when there are injuries or suspensions.  Shouldn't be rotating defenders regardless of any deals we've done with players and loaning clubs.

Archived