Obscure Rangers Players Thread

tannerall

13 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

John Morrow ...grew up not far from me ,nearly sure he played against Joe Jordan's Hearts if memory serves me right.

He was unlucky with injuries whenever it looked like he might get a run of games . I was always surprised that he never went home to Irish League football like McKnight , Fitzgerald or Stephen Carson . Got talking to John Morrow's wife when she worked in a local travel agents a few years back and she seemed genuinely pleased that someone could remember his time with us ?

Karl Pekarna, our first foreign player, sure I posted a pic of him in the Rangers related picture thread a good while back.

Found out about him in this extract on an article about Austrian football:

But the key visit came in 1905. Rangers hammered teams just as the Saints and the students had done a few years before, but they did it in such style that Austrian football would be moulded in their image over the next three decades (in turn Rangers were so impressed with the young goalkeeper Karl Pekarna that they gave him a contract and took him back to Glasgow).

7 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Brilliant at Linfield but Rangers was too big a step up for him

Stephen Carson was another classy player at Irish league level for years who wasn't good enough for us (or full time leagues in general). 

And speaking of Irish league players, Ryan McCann, Grant's younger brother. On our books for 2 or 3 years but don't think he made a first team appearance.

Who's more obscure, Colin Scott or Bonni Ginzburg? Dunno. Colin played more but feels more obscure.

Mind Bonni losing to Hibs away and drawing away to timmothy after Woods was fucked by Kenny McDowall. Remember seeing a death stare he gave one of our defenders on the Rangers video of that year after losing a goal to some Hibs player.

And he fucked up a cross.

Darius Adamzuck, felt like we signed him just to stop the tims getting him, in fairness I think if I remember correctly, Advocaat did give him a chance to prove himself but he just wasn't at the level of many of his teammates in what was probably the most talented Rangers squad I've ever known.

Paul Reid is another, the internet was in it's infancy and remember reading a column on the Sun website about how this boy was gonna be a future England international from someone who would usually report in the English version of the paper, £600k and he never kicked a ball for us.

Francesco Stella.

Who was that Israeli guy we were all crying out to be signed after he scored 5 goals in a bounce game we were all crying out to get signed then he went to ICT and couldn't get a game?

EDIT: Gil Blumenshtein

10 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

Paul Reid is another, the internet was in it's infancy and remember reading a column on the Sun website about how this boy was gonna be a future England international from someone who would usually report in the English version of the paper, £600k and he never kicked a ball for us.

Brilliant shout that. Remember us supposedly beating competition from some big clubs in England to sign him.

2 minutes ago, miracle said:

He was a liability for us mind you, Walter couldn't get him out the door quick enough.

Slightly ironic that he then later on signed Jeremy Rotten, another star of that team... But yeah, Rodriguez was a real disappointment in a catalogue of them from Ecks last season.