It’s just one line in the Hootsmon but,

They Gnu

An anonymous hack in the Scotsman used what I thought was a strange line when writing  talking about Connor Goldsons thoughts on Thursdays game. The Wolverhampton born player CLAIMED he had never experienced an atmosphere like it? Is he suggesting he’s lying.

2 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

I’m not taking offence, I just thought it was strange using claimed.

Your post literally is taking offence. Just because you don't like the word because you prefer it to be used for lefty snowflakes or whatever doesn't mean it isn't the relevant word here.

Hilarious how folk take offence at being accused of being offended when they're being offended these days.

There's nothing wrong with being offended, by the way. It's natural, it's not a crime. It's just a bit silly in this particular instance.

Just now, Inigo said:

Your post literally is taking offence. Just because you don't like the word because you prefer it to be used for lefty snowflakes or whatever doesn't mean it isn't the relevant word here.

Lefty snowflakes wtf are you on about. Saying claimed suggests he’s not being entirely truthful, if not why say it.

Just now, They Gnu said:

Lefty snowflakes wtf are you on about. Saying claimed suggests he’s not being entirely truthful, if not why say it.

It's pretty clear what I'm on about.

Ok mate. You're offended by that. Fine. I'm not.

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

An anonymous hack in the Scotsman used what I thought was a strange line when writing  talking about Connor Goldsons thoughts on Thursdays game. The Wolverhampton born player CLAIMED he had never experienced an atmosphere like it? Is he suggesting he’s lying.

Needs to be discussed properly at a higher level mate. 

Fill the details of your complaint in here, then we just need 10,000 Bears to agree and it'll be discussed at a suitable level.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/check

Further advice. 

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/sign-a-petition/

You could also ask your local MP or First Minister to raise the issue on your behalf. 

See this is what the bheggers have created with their mock offendedness,  people saying they're offended when they're not really offended just annoyed, it's a travesty that nowadays we can't tell if someone is really offended, the word offended now means nothing because we can't tell if they are really offended by a perceived offence, or if the perceived offence is really offensive, I really am offended by this state of affairs, or maybe I'm just annoyed it's hard to tell. 

1 hour ago, They Gnu said:

Yes, it's a fair point. Using "claimed" in this context is clunky and inappropriate. A decent journalist might use "claimed" if the subject's actions (or motivation for said actions) were being called into question or if the subject benefitted from stating something and therefore a degree of cynicism was appropriate. In this context, however, Goldson is simply relaying what a fantastic atmosphere there was at the game (i.e. no possible agenda).

Personally, I see this as just typically inept reporting rather than a scum-friendly journo on the wind up. But I guess you never know... 

1 minute ago, slimjim1690 said:

See this is what the bheggers have created with their mock offendedness,  people saying they're offended when they're not really offended just annoyed, it's a travesty that nowadays we can't tell if someone is really offended, the word offended now means nothing because we can't tell if they are really offended by a perceived offence, or if the perceived offence is really offensive, I really am offended by this state of affairs, or maybe I'm just annoyed it's hard to tell. 

I think people don't understand what being offended means. It's been built into this big thing that nobody should ever be, and people take exception to being called it because the idea of being offended has been ridiculed so much recently.

In actual fact, being 'annoyed' is part of what it means to be offended. Being offended IS being annoyed. It's in the actual definition. So I don't see why you'd be fine to be called annoyed, but irritated to be called offended.

5 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Yes, it's a fair point. Using "claimed" in this context is clunky and inappropriate. A decent journalist might use "claimed" if the subject's actions (or motivation for said actions) were being called into question or if the subject benefitted from stating something and therefore a degree of cynicism was appropriate. In this context, however, Goldson is simply relaying what a fantastic atmosphere there was at the game (i.e. no possible agenda).

Personally, I see this as just typically inept reporting rather than a scum-friendly journo on the wind up. But I guess you never know... 

Its completely obvious it's just inept use of language by a crap journo. 

59 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Wish people would stop going on about the atmosphere tbh, fucking rotten for 70/75 minutes

Really wish we could get the U.B. moved from the corner, the atmosphere would be brill.