Craig Halkett

Bronzy

Given we have 38 year old and Worrell is a loan we need more cover next season for sure. If we keep a serious eye on him and he could do a job we could sign him in January pre-contract ( sure its his final year) or even buy him and send him on loan I suppose. We probably have decent cover this season.

8 hours ago, Misteral said:

Given we have 38 year old and Worrell is a loan we need more cover next season for sure. If we keep a serious eye on him and he could do a job we could sign him in January pre-contract ( sure its his final year) or even buy him and send him on loan I suppose. We probably have decent cover this season.

Yep he's in his final year. 

I would be monitoring his performances and if he continues to impress in the league makes a move in January 

Granted ive only seen him play against us, when he did well, but I'm not so convinced he's what we need.

For me we need 3 top CHs capable of handling not only teams in scotland including the scum, but also in Europe. We should have a promoted youth player taking up a 4th CH position if good enough, not at the same level as others, but with strong potential.

Goldson, Katic, an equivalent signing, development player steps up.

As much as Halkett seemed decent I dont think he's the level required. I wouldn't want to block a route to 1st team squad for our development boys with him coming in a a squad player.

As a defender, scored a goal against us a couple of seasons ago to beat us in a cup tie whilst playing with Livingston. Seen him play as a defender, in a youth cup final for us  against Hearts at St. Mirrens ground, where he scored a last gasp goal to take the game into penalties, which we eventually won although he missed one of the penalties. Scored a few with Livingston last season and if you look up You Tube you can see him score goals for the youths when pushed forwards towards the end of games.

8 hours ago, StirlingBear72 said:

He's playing in a Live side set up to defend and the side seems to enjoy defending. Not sure he'd look great in a better side playing higher up the pitch though.

They weren't really set up to defend all the time last season, and he usually looked good. Different level, granted, but people were sceptical about Marvin Andrews for similar reasons and he worked out. Allen and his scouting team have a good record so far, so if we do bring the lad back then they'll have seen enough to think he can do a job for us. 

Not dismissing your point though, as that is one of the difficulties faced when recruiting players from 'smaller teams' - it's why having a decent scouting team is so important. 

16 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

They weren't really set up to defend all the time last season, and he usually looked good. Different level, granted, but people were sceptical about Marvin Andrews for similar reasons and he worked out. Allen and his scouting team have a good record so far, so if we do bring the lad back then they'll have seen enough to think he can do a job for us. 

Not dismissing your point though, as that is one of the difficulties faced when recruiting players from 'smaller teams' - it's why having a decent scouting team is so important L. 

I'd certainly trust our scouting team if they decide to pursue Halektt. 

It's good to see they are looking at Scottish talent. 

On 11/10/2018 at 09:11, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Granted ive only seen him play against us, when he did well, but I'm not so convinced he's what we need.

For me we need 3 top CHs capable of handling not only teams in scotland including the scum, but also in Europe. We should have a promoted youth player taking up a 4th CH position if good enough, not at the same level as others, but with strong potential.

Goldson, Katic, an equivalent signing, development player steps up.

As much as Halkett seemed decent I dont think he's the level required. I wouldn't want to block a route to 1st team squad for our development boys with him coming in a a squad player.

It's a game of fine margins. These decisions on who to sign are what makes or breaks a manager or DoF. But at the moment we are still pretty skint. Not only pretty skint but we are not exactly running away with the domestic league. I think it's getting ahead of ourselves to be thinking about future European runs when we concede 3 at Motherwell and let Livi have a barrel load of chances. If he's cheap and MAYBE good enough then he's perhaps worth a punt. If it turns out he's not good enough then we drop him from 3rd to 4th to 5th choice CB pretty quickly. We then let him go with minimum financial cost.

On 11/10/2018 at 17:15, shotstopper said:

As a defender, scored a goal against us a couple of seasons ago to beat us in a cup tie whilst playing with Livingston. Seen him play as a defender, in a youth cup final for us  against Hearts at St. Mirrens ground, where he scored a last gasp goal to take the game into penalties, which we eventually won although he missed one of the penalties. Scored a few with Livingston last season and if you look up You Tube you can see him score goals for the youths when pushed forwards towards the end of games.

He was signed as a forward. Wasn't good enough but moved back to CB. Doing well with Livi but when all you're asked to do is mark a man and hoof it away then I doubt it's what we want. If he was to re-sign then I assume the management team see something they can work with but I doubt it's a goer.

8 hours ago, teuchterblue said:

It's a game of fine margins. These decisions on who to sign are what makes or breaks a manager or DoF. But at the moment we are still pretty skint. Not only pretty skint but we are not exactly running away with the domestic league. I think it's getting ahead of ourselves to be thinking about future European runs when we concede 3 at Motherwell and let Livi have a barrel load of chances. If he's cheap and MAYBE good enough then he's perhaps worth a punt. If it turns out he's not good enough then we drop him from 3rd to 4th to 5th choice CB pretty quickly. We then let him go with minimum financial cost.

We are affording players of the quality of CG and NK at centre half never mind our most saleable assets like Morelos and Tav.

We need to maintain that level, as that's what will get us more chance if winning league and repeating this season's Euro run.

I'll stick with hoping we bring in players to improve the squad, not offering a Livi player a 3 or 4 year contract.

Out of all the CHs out there you want to go for Halkett as our 3rd choice. Ffs.  

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

We are affording players of the quality of CG and NK at centre half never mind our most saleable assets like Morelos and Tav.

We need to maintain that level, as that's what will get us more chance if winning league and repeating this season's Euro run.

I'll stick with hoping we bring in players to improve the squad, not offering a Livi player a 3 or 4 year contract.

Out of all the CHs out there you want to go for Halkett as our 3rd choice. Ffs.  

I didn't say I want to sign him. I haven't seen enough of him. I'm willing to allow the judgement of Mark Allen etc for that. I said our financial means is very limited. Quality bargains are hard to come by. Neither have we a great record of  producing great youthful talent. My point was the we need about 4 CB' s of first team quality in our squad. I'm not too fussed if one of them is of limited ability but dirt cheap.

1 minute ago, teuchterblue said:

I didn't say I want to sign him. I haven't seen enough of him. I'm willing to allow the judgement of Mark Allen etc for that. I said our financial means is very limited. Quality bargains are hard to come by. Neither have we a great record of  producing great youthful talent. My point was the we need about 4 CB' s of first team quality in our squad. I'm not too fussed if one of them is of limited ability but dirt cheap.

That's pretty daft tbh mate. Quality should be the primary concern, not whether a its fee or even loanee status. 

You don't know what current or future budgets, salaries, loan fees etc are so not sure how you can even consider someone's price tag or cost to be relevant.

And if SG decided he wanted to blow all his budget on CHs next season would you oppose the signing as not dirt cheap? Of course not.