James Tavernier top-ranked defender in Europe - UEFA

MrMeeseeks

Just spotted this over on r/rangersfc, pretty impressed by Tav so far this season. Hopefully this really drives up his price-tag when down south comes sniffing.

James Tavernier impresses UEFA as Rangers defender ranks high in Europa League list

He has his detractors but James Tavernier is enjoying a wonderful start to the season under Steven Gerrard.

The Rangers star does have a flaw in his play. His defending can let him down. But going forward he is sometimes an unstoppable, rampaging right-back with serious stats to back up his positives.

In 158 appearances, Tavernier has scored 32 goals and provided 47 assists. That is being involved in a goal every other game.

Impressive numbers for a full-back. Looks like his form hasn’t gone unnoticed with the lads at UEFA either.

In fact, they have made the Englishman their top-ranked defender with 4115 points – a full 327 points ahead of second-placed Danny da Costa of Frankfurt.

The 26-year-old has scored three times in the Europa League already this season, with his latest coming in the 3-1 win over Rapid Vienna at Ibrox from the penalty spot.

And it’s in UEFA’s second-tier competition where his qualities are really shining through.

European football’s governing body has ranked Tavernier higher than stars such as Arsenal’s Nacho Monreal, Pepe of Besiktas and Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso.

As for other Rangers players, they get a mention pretty high up, too.

Alfredo Morelos is the eighth-highest ranked striker according to UEFA.com. The Colombian – on 2850 points – trails the likes of Milan superstar Gonzalo Higuain and first-placed Munas Dabbur, who scored twice against celtic on Thursday night.

Daniel Candeias is the club’s highest-ranked midfielder – in 43rd place – and behind leader Kai Havertz who plays for Bayer Leverkusen.

Source

UEFA Player Rankings

Tav is a quality Rangers player, if he was better or gets better he wouldn’t/won’t be here, that’s just the way it is in Scotland wether you like it or no, club wise in a Rangers fan’s opinion we are smaller than nobody but the reality is we are no where near the top teams an probably never will be in my lifetime

So you either like him or you don’t but if your forever slating tav that’s fine but it’s you who’s deluded, thinking we should have a better player at rb or throwing flano’s name in for the rb position is also just an idiot opinion and if we did do that you’d realise how lucky we are to have Him, only an absolute fud who knows nothing about football would even suggest pushing him forward, thankfully certain ppl that used to make a weekly tav thread have either went back to the dark side or realised their judgements were misplaced

If he could defend, he'd already play in the EPL. Blessing in disguise for us. Against non-top clubs in EL like Rapid, or against any SPL opponent, we should dominate the game anyway. None of this teams can deal with an attacking wingback like Tav. For every goal conceded that's (in)directly his fault, he is part of at least 5 goals created. I take that each and every day.

The problems in defence are easily fixable if he just puts the time and effort into it, it’s not because he can’t tackle, he simply gets caught ball watching and loses positional awareness of those around him. 

Fixes that he won’t be with us but he will have made us a pretty penny in a transfer fee. 

48 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

The problems in defence are easily fixable if he just puts the time and effort into it, it’s not because he can’t tackle, he simply gets caught ball watching and loses positional awareness of those around him. 

Fixes that he won’t be with us but he will have made us a pretty penny in a transfer fee. 

It's great that Tav is being recognised as a top player and his value has sky rocketed... but I would much rather have him on the field of play than have him move to the EPL at Christmas.

He will be a vital player for us this season as we chase the title.   

57 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

The Rapid goal sums tav up, goalscorer left on his own on his side.

12 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched that goal again. He looks like he anticipates the first guy shooting so stands in a positiob to block however the guy opens his foot and strokes it out wider for the guy to tap in. If tav sticks to his man then the guy in the middle has a simple tap in. Rock and a hard place really 

Aye but...he should be daein both.

Played a lot at full-back myself, and when you're left with two on 1 against you, you're fucked if the two do it right.  Doesn't matter if you're a numpty like me or the best full-back there is.

38 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

The Rapid goal sums tav up, goalscorer left on his own on his side.

As I said that’s just basic awareness, there was no need for him to come charging over to the near post. 

That can be solved in the analysis room with the coaches. 

20 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched that goal again. He looks like he anticipates the first guy shooting so stands in a positiob to block however the guy opens his foot and strokes it out wider for the guy to tap in. If tav sticks to his man then the guy in the middle has a simple tap in. Rock and a hard place really 

Coulibaly had the man in the middle, he went charging off to get involved. 

He needs to learn there are times to get involved and times to stick with his man. It  shouldn’t be a major fix if he sits down and listens to the Coaches, he will have been shown that goal and it pointed out to him he should’ve stayed with his man. 

49 minutes ago, TopCat said:

It's great that Tav is being recognised as a top player and his value has sky rocketed... but I would much rather have him on the field of play than have him move to the EPL at Christmas.

He will be a vital player for us this season as we chase the title.   

I’m not saying he won’t be, but if he can learn to actually defend then he will be away and the club will make a huge profit on him. 

Like it or not we are a selling club if the right price comes in. 

1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Aye but...he should be daein both.

Played a lot at full-back myself, and when you're left with two on 1 against you, you're fucked if the two do it right.  Doesn't matter if you're a numpty like me or the best full-back there is.

50-odd years ago, guys who weren't very good, got into teams to play fullback because there wasn't much to it and us skilfull guys weren't interested in the gig. Don't imagine much has changed lol.

2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Coulibaly slid in and knocked the ball into the guys path that scored. It was a great interception but sadly fell into the other players range to shoot. 

1 minute ago, Jb85 said:

Coulibaly slid in and knocked the ball into the guys path that scored. It was a great interception but sadly fell into the other players range to shoot. 

Aye I've fucked that mate. I was meaning he's went to block the shot coulibaly has done brilliantly to nip it off the guys toe but it fell to.the other guy. If LC doesn't get to the guy in centre he's shooting. LC nicks it, but it falls to the guy tav would normally mark but As he thinks the guy in centre is going to.shoot he tries to position himself for the block. 

Once LC nicks it, it falls to.the other guy and its ended up a goal. Sadly