Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MrMeeseeks

James Tavernier top-ranked defender in Europe - UEFA

Recommended Posts

Just spotted this over on r/rangersfc, pretty impressed by Tav so far this season. Hopefully this really drives up his price-tag when down south comes sniffing.

Quote

James Tavernier impresses UEFA as Rangers defender ranks high in Europa League list

He has his detractors but James Tavernier is enjoying a wonderful start to the season under Steven Gerrard.

The Rangers star does have a flaw in his play. His defending can let him down. But going forward he is sometimes an unstoppable, rampaging right-back with serious stats to back up his positives.

In 158 appearances, Tavernier has scored 32 goals and provided 47 assists. That is being involved in a goal every other game.

Impressive numbers for a full-back. Looks like his form hasn’t gone unnoticed with the lads at UEFA either.

In fact, they have made the Englishman their top-ranked defender with 4115 points – a full 327 points ahead of second-placed Danny da Costa of Frankfurt.

The 26-year-old has scored three times in the Europa League already this season, with his latest coming in the 3-1 win over Rapid Vienna at Ibrox from the penalty spot.

And it’s in UEFA’s second-tier competition where his qualities are really shining through.

European football’s governing body has ranked Tavernier higher than stars such as Arsenal’s Nacho Monreal, Pepe of Besiktas and Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso.

As for other Rangers players, they get a mention pretty high up, too.

Alfredo Morelos is the eighth-highest ranked striker according to UEFA.com. The Colombian – on 2850 points – trails the likes of Milan superstar Gonzalo Higuain and first-placed Munas Dabbur, who scored twice against celtic on Thursday night.

Daniel Candeias is the club’s highest-ranked midfielder – in 43rd place – and behind leader Kai Havertz who plays for Bayer Leverkusen.

Source

UEFA Player Rankings

1
2
1

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TheKingObv said:

Who wrote that?

Source was the record according to the post I saw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, MrMeeseeks said:

Source was the record according to the post I saw.

Not surprised. The 'he has his detractors' was a bit odd I think. Unnecessary way to start off the article.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MrMeeseeks said:

r/rangersfc,

cancer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

 

Not surprised. The 'he has his detractors' was a bit odd I think. Unnecessary way to start off the article.

it was, but i is also very true. You only need to spend a minute on here to realise that's the case

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beararse said:

it was, but i is also very true. You only need to spend a minute on here to realise that's the case

Nah I know that. Just seems a bit needless though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheKingObv said:

 

Not surprised. The 'he has his detractors' was a bit odd I think. Unnecessary way to start off the article.

They could hardly write a piece that was just positive...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tav is a quality Rangers player, if he was better or gets better he wouldn’t/won’t be here, that’s just the way it is in Scotland wether you like it or no, club wise in a Rangers fan’s opinion we are smaller than nobody but the reality is we are no where near the top teams an probably never will be in my lifetime

So you either like him or you don’t but if your forever slating tav that’s fine but it’s you who’s deluded, thinking we should have a better player at rb or throwing flano’s name in for the rb position is also just an idiot opinion and if we did do that you’d realise how lucky we are to have Him, only an absolute fud who knows nothing about football would even suggest pushing him forward, thankfully certain ppl that used to make a weekly tav thread have either went back to the dark side or realised their judgements were misplaced

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he could defend, he'd already play in the EPL. Blessing in disguise for us. Against non-top clubs in EL like Rapid, or against any SPL opponent, we should dominate the game anyway. None of this teams can deal with an attacking wingback like Tav. For every goal conceded that's (in)directly his fault, he is part of at least 5 goals created. I take that each and every day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problems in defence are easily fixable if he just puts the time and effort into it, it’s not because he can’t tackle, he simply gets caught ball watching and loses positional awareness of those around him. 

Fixes that he won’t be with us but he will have made us a pretty penny in a transfer fee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

The problems in defence are easily fixable if he just puts the time and effort into it, it’s not because he can’t tackle, he simply gets caught ball watching and loses positional awareness of those around him. 

Fixes that he won’t be with us but he will have made us a pretty penny in a transfer fee. 

It's great that Tav is being recognised as a top player and his value has sky rocketed... but I would much rather have him on the field of play than have him move to the EPL at Christmas.

 

He will be a vital player for us this season as we chase the title.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

The problems in defence are easily fixable if he just puts the time and effort into it, it’s not because he can’t tackle, he simply gets caught ball watching and loses positional awareness of those around him. 

Fixes that he won’t be with us but he will have made us a pretty penny in a transfer fee. 

The Rapid goal sums tav up, goalscorer left on his own on his side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched that goal again. He looks like he anticipates the first guy shooting so stands in a positiob to block however the guy opens his foot and strokes it out wider for the guy to tap in. If tav sticks to his man then the guy in the middle has a simple tap in. Rock and a hard place really 

Aye but...he should be daein both.

Played a lot at full-back myself, and when you're left with two on 1 against you, you're fucked if the two do it right.  Doesn't matter if you're a numpty like me or the best full-back there is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, danger ranger said:

The Rapid goal sums tav up, goalscorer left on his own on his side.

As I said that’s just basic awareness, there was no need for him to come charging over to the near post. 

That can be solved in the analysis room with the coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched that goal again. He looks like he anticipates the first guy shooting so stands in a positiob to block however the guy opens his foot and strokes it out wider for the guy to tap in. If tav sticks to his man then the guy in the middle has a simple tap in. Rock and a hard place really 

Coulibaly had the man in the middle, he went charging off to get involved. 

He needs to learn there are times to get involved and times to stick with his man. It  shouldn’t be a major fix if he sits down and listens to the Coaches, he will have been shown that goal and it pointed out to him he should’ve stayed with his man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TopCat said:

It's great that Tav is being recognised as a top player and his value has sky rocketed... but I would much rather have him on the field of play than have him move to the EPL at Christmas.

 

He will be a vital player for us this season as we chase the title.   

I’m not saying he won’t be, but if he can learn to actually defend then he will be away and the club will make a huge profit on him. 

Like it or not we are a selling club if the right price comes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, coopsleftboot said:

Aye but...he should be daein both.

Played a lot at full-back myself, and when you're left with two on 1 against you, you're fucked if the two do it right.  Doesn't matter if you're a numpty like me or the best full-back there is.

50-odd years ago, guys who weren't very good, got into teams to play fullback because there wasn't much to it and us skilfull guys weren't interested in the gig. Don't imagine much has changed lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

I watched that goal again. He looks like he anticipates the first guy shooting so stands in a positiob to block however the guy opens his foot and strokes it out wider for the guy to tap in. If tav sticks to his man then the guy in the middle has a simple tap in. Rock and a hard place really 

Coulibaly slid in and knocked the ball into the guys path that scored. It was a great interception but sadly fell into the other players range to shoot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jb85 said:

Coulibaly slid in and knocked the ball into the guys path that scored. It was a great interception but sadly fell into the other players range to shoot. 

Aye I've fucked that mate. I was meaning he's went to block the shot coulibaly has done brilliantly to nip it off the guys toe but it fell to.the other guy. If LC doesn't get to the guy in centre he's shooting. LC nicks it, but it falls to the guy tav would normally mark but As he thinks the guy in centre is going to.shoot he tries to position himself for the block. 

Once LC nicks it, it falls to.the other guy and its ended up a goal. Sadly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×