Ruud Gullit

BridgeIsBlue

I remember watching Scotland v Netherlands quite a number of years ago . I went along as I believe it was Jim Betts Scotland debut .

A very young Ruud Gullit played in that game - class was on show even then .  Bett also had a good game IIRC.

Amazing to think that over a 21 year spell (1977-98), we had Coop, Walters then Laudrup on our left wing.  Few clubs can have been graced with such fantastic wingers over such a period.  I think myself very lucky to have been there and witnessed all three of these greats play for our team.

I wonder if the friendly Gullit refers to is the 3-3 KLM Cup game played at Ibrox at the back end of 1984?

What a player,although to be honest,1 great,3,mediocre games was coops form,but when he was in the mood,he was untouchable,always turned up in the big games,cup finals,against the smellies!!remember his testamonial at ibrox and his lap of honour,was close to tears!!!

It's remarkable the way Gullit has kept talking about this for decades. Coop must have made a hell of an impression on him. He was banging on about him in that clip in the early 90s posted above, he included him in his FourFourTwo dream team about 10 years ago or so and now he's bringing him up again. A 20 year career played at the highest level and one friendly game against a guy playing, at the time, in one of the worst Rangers sides ever made such an impact on him.

1 minute ago, JamieD said:

It's remarkable the way Gullit has kept talking about this for decades. Coop must have made a hell of an impression on him. He was banging on about him in that clip in the early 90s posted above, he included him in his FourFourTwo dream team about 10 years ago or so and now he's bringing him up again. A 20 year career played at the highest level and one game against a guy playing, at the time, in one of the worst Rangers sides ever made such an impact on him.

it was almost the same speech.

visions of Ruud going over his favourite players in his head at night in bed, thinking of everything to say about them as mantra - the way he talks about Coop is almost worship.

1 minute ago, tufts1690 said:

it was almost the same speech.

visions of Ruud going over his favourite players in his head at night in bed, thinking of everything to say about them as mantra - the way he talks about Coop is almost worship.

It's like the fanboying I did over Roberto Baggio when I was 7, except this is a man in his 50s :lol: